• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser's hutch cover - here and fitted at last!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it will make life easier for me and hopefully cosier for Spenser. There are two green flaps for the front I probably won't use much, if at all.

P1090373.jpg

I have this one and it's fab.The green covers were handy in the bad weather over the top of the clear ones :)

My friend has a Scratch and Newson hutch-hugger, which is much more close fitting and has a single flap for the front. The lining of the green pieces is silver - that's what makes it thermal I think. I couldn't get a Scratch and Newson one because they no longer do made-to-measure and Spenser's hutch is not a standard size.

I think it looks great. :thumb:

Does the green cover roll down at the front? I'm just thinking perhaps you could just roll it halfway down at night, so that the top doors are covered, and leave the bottom ones open for a bit of light..... not that there's much light in the middle of the night but you know what I mean. :lol:

You might find the split clear screen at the front is easier to use than one that goes all the way across - it'll be easier to roll up single-handedly for a start. :) You should see me trying to fold up the 8ft x 10ft clear tarpaulin that's on A & B's kennel - it's hilarious. :oops: :lol:

I think it looks great. :thumb:

Does the green cover roll down at the front? I'm just thinking perhaps you could just roll it halfway down at night, so that the top doors are covered, and leave the bottom ones open for a bit of light..... not that there's much light in the middle of the night but you know what I mean. :lol:

You might find the split clear screen at the front is easier to use than one that goes all the way across - it'll be easier to roll up single-handedly for a start. :) You should see me trying to fold up the 8ft x 10ft clear tarpaulin that's on A & B's kennel - it's hilarious. :oops: :lol:

There are two separate green pieces I haven't actually attached for the moment. Spenser is used to being able to see out at night so I'm worried he might feel claustrophobic. I haven't fathomed how the rolling-up works - the ties are so long I feel sure I must be meant to do something else with them. :oops:

I haven't fathomed how the rolling-up works - the ties are so long I feel sure I must be meant to do something else with them. :oops:

Oooh, I just thought - maybe they're made long so that you can wrap both the clear and the green front up at the same time, instead of taking the green front off every morning. :?

I just roll them up and fasten them nearest to the cover if that makes sense so the rest of the tie is just loose.I thought the same when i bought mine!
I asked why the cover came in two pieces but tbh i prefer it now,easier for feeding etc in bad weather to just pull half up :)

I just roll them up and fasten them nearest to the cover if that makes sense so the rest of the tie is just loose.I thought the same when i bought mine!
I asked why the cover came in two pieces but tbh i prefer it now,easier for feeding etc in bad weather to just pull half up :)

Thanks - it is certainly going to be much easier than the former system, which involved lifting VERY heavy bricks.

Back