• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worst bunny mummy EVER :(

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Ok,

So we got the two rescue buns last Monday, Hermy and Flopsy. But now, I feel like the worst mummy EVER!!!
They both had to go outside (Hermy a good few days after her emergency spay) I've been unwell the past few days so they've had no free range time in the house at all. Tonight, I went out and Flopsy just isn't eating all his pellets which is worrying as he's 300g underweight. Hermy is eating hers fine which is amazing as we had a bit of a scare last week after her spay.
Only thing was, Flopsy looked so miserable in his cage :( then I picked him up and he felt so chilly :( He just snuggled in for cuddles and it broke my heart having to put him back in his cage. The previous owners said they were outside buns but why would Flopsy be so cold??? I don't even know what temp he should be at as I've always kept house buns.
I feel so awful :( I feel like I rescued them, just to make them miserable :(

I want to get Flopsy castrated so he can be bonded with Hermy again but I've yet to pay the emergency bill from last week so need to wait to pay that off.
I feel like I should just rehome them as I don't feel like I'm doing a very good job :(

I wish I could bring them inside and they'd get so much free range and be happier but with Dexie and Pumpkin with her litter, there's no room and I can see a lot of fights breaking out...

I just don't know :(

If he's noticeably cold he could be quite poorly. I really think you should bring him in and observe his behaviour for half an hour or so and then consider calling your vet. I only get cold bunnies when they're very poorly.

Helen xx

He's not cold, just a bit chilly to the touch. He seems perfectly alert and is eating and has solid, good sized/textured poops all round his hutch. I know he's not unwell... just a bit chilly but then, it is cold outside and I'm only used to toasty warm buns indoors.

Oh I wasn't sure if you meant he was cold, cold. I wouldn't feel too bad. We all get poorly from time to time and its not possible to keep up with everything. I'm sure you'll give them plenty of time to make up for it when your feeling better.

Helen xx

If its cold outside then chances are his fur will feel cold to the touch. If he is bright and alert and active, and has plenty of bedding and a thick coat i wouldn't worry.

If Flopsy is under weight and feels cold to you he may need some extra warmth.
Inthe wild bunnies would snuggle together under ground to get warm. Is there any way you could bring him indoors untill he gets some weight on?

Sorry i didnt read properly. If the rabbit is underweight then i would probably bring him inside until the weather warms up, or maybe if thats not possible get some snugglesafes. It will be harder for him to put the weight on if out in the cold.

He has his sheltered section and a full bag of hay. I could bring him inside but then Hermy is more underweight than he is. It's just that when they were in for a few days, I kept having to put 2 buns in a carrier whilst the other one had a hop about and keep changing them over. It wasn't ideal for them :(
When the buns were rescued, they seemed to be in good health which is why I was ok taking them in as I thought they'd be fine outside as there wasn't much chance of me being able to keep them indoors. After the emergency vet trip though, it was obvious they weren't too great...
I just don't know what to do for the best :(
I get paid next week so was thinking of buying them a snugglesafe each and I can also pay my vet bill then and get Flopsy in to be castrated. So I guess, it wouldn't be too long till they can be together again and snuggle.
It's just so hard... I've never rescued before and haven't kept outdoor buns for years so it's all a bit confusing and sad :(
I've shed so many tears over these two because of the condition they were in when we got them and the emergency spay and them being underweight...
The original plan was to rescue them then go about rehoming them but then I fell in love with them :/ But then, I wouldn't rehome till they were of a good weight anyway...

It's so difficult :(

You're not a bad bunny mummy, it sounds like you're doing the best you can! You've rescued them and given them a loving home and the vet treatment they need, and you obviously love them lots already. Don't be too hard on yourself, just make sure they've got lots of snuggly warm bedding until you can get snugglesafes xx

You can only do your best - don't be so hard on yourself ;) You are doing all you can for them and that is the main thing :)

Back