• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bike Shed Conversion

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Here are some pictures of how we converted a 6.5ft x 2.5ft x 6 ft tall bike shed into a double hutch. There is a step to move from the bottom to top floor as my buns don't really like ramps and I think they take up too much space. It has since been insulated with polystyrene boards and then covered in plyboard.

How it started out
100_3659.jpg

Shelf with hole for the step, covered in lino (stuck on with spray lino adhesive)
100_3661.jpg

Edges and corners covered to prevent nibbling
100_3666.jpg

100_3665.jpg

Finished article, complete with mesh doors, for ventilation, so that top or bottom floor can be opened. Left door remains solid as one door, so that there is plenty of shelter and shade. Right door closes over the mesh doors at night.

100_3672.jpg

100_3673.jpg

100_3675.jpg

100_3676.jpg

100_3677.jpg

100_3678.jpg

happy customers!
100_3679.jpg

Shed cost £75 from preloved, materials about £50-70.

That's very impressive Vikki and a great idea of how to go about convertion.

Might have to direct people to this thread if they ask for ideas about housing.

Thats great! I wouldn't have thought about using a bike shed as a hutch! :D Are they going to have an attached run? :wave: x

Not at the moment, mainly because we have new dogs and havent introduced them properly yet. But they do have a separate 7ft zooplus run that they go out into. There is space behind the shed on the concrete, so the plan (eventually!) is to put a run behind with a catflap, so there is only the very end of the run that the dogs can get to, which will make it a lot easier.

That's very impressive Vikki and a great idea of how to go about convertion.

Might have to direct people to this thread if they ask for ideas about housing.

Feel free - i'll try to get some with the insulation and all the furniture as well!

wow that looks great.
I love it when people do before, during and after photos. Really helps when others are looking at doing their own accomodation.

If my buns go outside in the summer I will be taking ideas for my shed from yours!

Wow really good idea and it looks great!

I am considering upgrading my buns hutch when I have saved some money and want a 6 foot double. I would love to borrow your idea if that's ok? My diy skills are not very good though

I considered the bike shed when I was looking around, but I didn't think it would work..........how wrong was I ????

It looks fabby :thumb:

Back