Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike Shed Conversion

Default Bike Shed Conversion

Here are some pictures of how we converted a 6.5ft x 2.5ft x 6 ft tall bike shed into a double hutch. There is a step to move from the bottom to top floor as my buns don't really like ramps and I think they take up too much space. It has since been insulated with polystyrene boards and then covered in plyboard.

How it started out

Shelf with hole for the step, covered in lino (stuck on with spray lino adhesive)

Edges and corners covered to prevent nibbling

Finished article, complete with mesh doors, for ventilation, so that top or bottom floor can be opened. Left door remains solid as one door, so that there is plenty of shelter and shade. Right door closes over the mesh doors at night.

happy customers!

Shed cost 75 from preloved, materials about 50-70.

Very nice

That's very impressive Vikki and a great idea of how to go about convertion.

Might have to direct people to this thread if they ask for ideas about housing.

A very good job, buns look happy
    Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored. ~Alice Walker

Billy Arjan Singh."keep fighting for the tiger it does not have a vote" Tiger conservationist/wildlife activist
    born1917-died 2010

Mama Doe Heather&Bart-MyLittleBuns's Avatar

Thats great! I wouldn't have thought about using a bike shed as a hutch! Are they going to have an attached run? x

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him dominate the world
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Heather&Bart-MyLittleBuns View Post
    Thats great! I wouldn't have thought about using a bike shed as a hutch! Are they going to have an attached run? x
    Not at the moment, mainly because we have new dogs and havent introduced them properly yet. But they do have a separate 7ft zooplus run that they go out into. There is space behind the shed on the concrete, so the plan (eventually!) is to put a run behind with a catflap, so there is only the very end of the run that the dogs can get to, which will make it a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duchess View Post
    That's very impressive Vikki and a great idea of how to go about convertion.

Might have to direct people to this thread if they ask for ideas about housing.
    Feel free - i'll try to get some with the insulation and all the furniture as well!

Wow, well done, that looks great!

Lots of beautiful buns available for adoption at Acomb Rabbit Rescue

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Check out my band!: Void Ship Captains

wow that looks great.
    I love it when people do before, during and after photos. Really helps when others are looking at doing their own accomodation.

If my buns go outside in the summer I will be taking ideas for my shed from yours!

Wise Old Thumper Mischief and Tinker's Mum's Avatar

Fab idea!
    - Emma

Click here to visit our YouTube channel!

Bun Mum to 5 rescue rabbits! Primrose, Bertie, Robin,
    Scarlett and Ruby

Binky free my 9 bridge bunnies, Mischief, Tinkerbell, Jasper, Blossom, Theo, Poppy, Hector, Velvet and Reuben xxx

Mama Doe

Wow really good idea and it looks great!

I am considering upgrading my buns hutch when I have saved some money and want a 6 foot double. I would love to borrow your idea if that's ok? My diy skills are not very good though