Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 65

Thread: Coccidiosis- All Rabbit Owners Should be Aware of This

  1. #41
    Mama Doe Carrie14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    2,479

    Default

    Thank you as always I am sorry for the losses you have experienced with this disease

    Should I still have the rabbits I got 7 months ago in some sort of quarantine then? As in using different dustpans and brushes etc? But that would be crazy, because if it was a perfect world they would all be bonded now

    I am sure my vet will be really pleased that I now know something new to diagnose anybun with But at least I know of its existence/symptoms now

  2. #42
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Barnsley, south yorkshire
    Posts
    24,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marie_kubiak View Post
    Fenbendazole is not effective against the rabbit Eimeria coccidia (and also isn't absorbed well from the GI tract so wouldn't get to liver-specific coccidia even if it worked). It acts by preventing microtubule formation so works well in worms that rely on these structures and also in E. cuniculi (presumably as the projections from the spores rely on microtubules to be formed) but not in coccidia.
    We use Baycox and have had very good results if cases are treated early. Septrin is another option which is more readily available to vets but less fast-acting.
    Sadly this is a disease that is often caught too late - once bunnies have secondary dehydration or intestinal bacterial imbalances then it is difficult to treat them successfully.
    this is very interesting ..

    we used septrin ...had no further illness since treatment so presume it has worked ..

    is the fact that Baycox is faster acting the only reason you prfer to use it ?

  3. #43
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    124,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnymadhouse View Post
    this is very interesting ..

    we used septrin ...had no further illness since treatment so presume it has worked ..

    is the fact that Baycox is faster acting the only reason you prfer to use it ?

    I *think* it is because there is a likelihood of some resistance to Trimethoprim (one of the active ingredients in Septrin) Not certain though, so hopefully Marie will see your post at some stage xx


    Imitated but never replicated :-)

  4. #44
    Wise Old Thumper Santa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The grotto
    Posts
    13,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maizey View Post
    Hi Santa,
    Honey who the baycox was originally for weighs just under five kilos and the pot I have left,says give 1.6mls for two days,I'm pretty sure I had to repeat the dose a week later.Blue my other bun was given it as a precaution.
    Interesting, thanks Does it say what concentration the baycox is (e.g. 25mg/ml or 50mg/ml or something else).

    For anyone with academic logins, or if anyone wants to show their vet this information about drugs and dosing, you can view the abstract of the article by Sharon Redrobe et al here: http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/cont...8/287.abstract
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    or view the 'vets with vaccines' map: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com
    And here's a shameless plug for my wish list:http://amzn.eu/io8ng9f

  5. #45
    Wise Old Thumper Maizey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Interesting, thanks Does it say what concentration the baycox is (e.g. 25mg/ml or 50mg/ml or something else).

    For anyone with academic logins, or if anyone wants to show their vet this information about drugs and dosing, you can view the abstract of the article by Sharon Redrobe et al here: http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/cont...8/287.abstract
    Hi,
    It just says 5% suspension.I can ask next time Im at the vets if that is any help to you?

  6. #46
    Wise Old Thumper Maizey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,032

    Default

    Please could someone tell me the amount of cola you should add and if the mix should be left a while before administering?

  7. #47
    Wise Old Thumper Santa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The grotto
    Posts
    13,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maizey View Post
    Hi,
    It just says 5% suspension.I can ask next time Im at the vets if that is any help to you?
    Thanks - I'm no expert and my maths may be very, very wrong (I'll list it out below for others to check and correct!), but based on this, I'd say it looks as if your bun had about 16mg/kg dose, compared to 2.5mg/kg that Sharon et al recommend in that paper. It's still lower than the 25mg/kg which the same paper says is a miscalculation/overdose in the FHB book, but may be enough to show those side effects, maybe?

    Might be worth checking with your vets just in case they ever need it again or indeed if they give the same dose to other buns!

    My possibly dodgy maths which I am very open to being told is wrong:

    Baycox says that the 5% solution contains 50mg/ml (http://www.baycox.com/453/How-to-Use-Baycox-5.htm) This is for sheepsies so I guess it's possible that they have a 5% solution of a different strength, but then it wouldn't be 5%, would it...?

    So in 1.6ml there is 1.6x50 = 80mg.

    Bunny is 5kg so 80/5 = 16mg/kg.
    Last edited by Santa; 30-12-2010 at 05:24 PM.
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    or view the 'vets with vaccines' map: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com
    And here's a shameless plug for my wish list:http://amzn.eu/io8ng9f

  8. #48
    Wise Old Thumper prettylupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,133

    Default

    Are bunnies ok with the caffeine in cola?

  9. #49
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    horndean ,hampshire
    Posts
    7,771

    Default

    cant recall buns exact weight....

    im sure bertie is 5.40kg........his dose is 1.1ml

    cant recall merlins....his dose is 0.54ml

    bluebells 4.08kg ......her dose is 0.82ml

    i wouldnt know wjhere to start maths wise working out the dose.i was glad to see one vet had to resort to a calculator

    the thing i am lost about...is what symptoms to look for in a coccidia laden bunny..the hepatic/billiary version.

    cant find much online or in the books i have

    does this mean we should all go get buns we adopt or buy or get given a course of baycox or septrin like we do when we panacur them when we first get them.

    i never quarrantined dazy-mae and her sis bluebell as i knew theyd been under scrutiny all the time at the rescue and fosterers...usually i try a 3 week quarantine period when getting another bunny.

    i got dazy-maes ashes back few days before xmas...22nd i think...i really felt id let her down....ive never had such an experience

    i wish more was avaiable on billiary/hepatic coccidia infestation.
    Debbie

  10. #50
    Wise Old Thumper Maizey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Thanks - I'm no expert and my maths may be very, very wrong (I'll list it out below for others to check and correct!), but based on this, I'd say it looks as if your bun had about 16mg/kg dose, compared to 2.5mg/kg that Sharon et al recommend in that paper. It's still lower than the 25mg/kg which the same paper says is a miscalculation/overdose in the FHB book, but may be enough to show those side effects, maybe?

    Might be worth checking with your vets just in case they ever need it again or indeed if they give the same dose to other buns!

    My possibly dodgy maths which I am very open to being told is wrong:

    Baycox says that the 5% solution contains 50mg/ml (http://www.baycox.com/453/How-to-Use-Baycox-5.htm) This is for sheepsies so I guess it's possible that they have a 5% solution of a different strength, but then it wouldn't be 5%, would it...?

    So in 1.6ml there is 1.6x50 = 80mg.

    Bunny is 5kg so 80/5 = 16mg/kg.
    Thank you Santa

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •