• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coccidiosis- All Rabbit Owners Should be Aware of This

Thank you as always:) I am sorry for the losses you have experienced with this disease:cry:

Should I still have the rabbits I got 7 months ago in some sort of quarantine then? As in using different dustpans and brushes etc? But that would be crazy, because if it was a perfect world they would all be bonded now:?

I am sure my vet will be really pleased that I now know something new to diagnose anybun with:oops: But at least I know of its existence/symptoms now:)

Fenbendazole is not effective against the rabbit Eimeria coccidia (and also isn't absorbed well from the GI tract so wouldn't get to liver-specific coccidia even if it worked). It acts by preventing microtubule formation so works well in worms that rely on these structures and also in E. cuniculi (presumably as the projections from the spores rely on microtubules to be formed) but not in coccidia.
We use Baycox and have had very good results if cases are treated early. Septrin is another option which is more readily available to vets but less fast-acting.
Sadly this is a disease that is often caught too late - once bunnies have secondary dehydration or intestinal bacterial imbalances then it is difficult to treat them successfully.

this is very interesting ..

we used septrin ...had no further illness since treatment so presume it has worked ..

is the fact that Baycox is faster acting the only reason you prfer to use it ?

this is very interesting ..

we used septrin ...had no further illness since treatment so presume it has worked ..

is the fact that Baycox is faster acting the only reason you prfer to use it ?

I *think* it is because there is a likelihood of some resistance to Trimethoprim (one of the active ingredients in Septrin) :? Not certain though, so hopefully Marie will see your post at some stage xx

Hi Santa,
Honey who the baycox was originally for weighs just under five kilos and the pot I have left,says give 1.6mls for two days,I'm pretty sure I had to repeat the dose a week later.Blue my other bun was given it as a precaution.

Interesting, thanks :) Does it say what concentration the baycox is (e.g. 25mg/ml or 50mg/ml or something else).

For anyone with academic logins, or if anyone wants to show their vet this information about drugs and dosing, you can view the abstract of the article by Sharon Redrobe et al here: http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/167/8/287.abstract

Interesting, thanks :) Does it say what concentration the baycox is (e.g. 25mg/ml or 50mg/ml or something else).

For anyone with academic logins, or if anyone wants to show their vet this information about drugs and dosing, you can view the abstract of the article by Sharon Redrobe et al here: http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/167/8/287.abstract

Hi,
It just says 5% suspension.I can ask next time Im at the vets if that is any help to you?

Please could someone tell me the amount of cola you should add and if the mix should be left a while before administering?

Hi,
It just says 5% suspension.I can ask next time Im at the vets if that is any help to you?

Thanks - I'm no expert and my maths may be very, very wrong (I'll list it out below for others to check and correct!), but based on this, I'd say it looks as if your bun had about 16mg/kg dose, compared to 2.5mg/kg that Sharon et al recommend in that paper. It's still lower than the 25mg/kg which the same paper says is a miscalculation/overdose in the FHB book, but may be enough to show those side effects, maybe?

Might be worth checking with your vets just in case they ever need it again or indeed if they give the same dose to other buns!

My possibly dodgy maths which I am very open to being told is wrong:

Baycox says that the 5% solution contains 50mg/ml (http://www.baycox.com/453/How-to-Use-Baycox-5.htm) This is for sheepsies so I guess it's possible that they have a 5% solution of a different strength, but then it wouldn't be 5%, would it...?

So in 1.6ml there is 1.6x50 = 80mg.

Bunny is 5kg so 80/5 = 16mg/kg.

Last edited:
cant recall buns exact weight....

im sure bertie is 5.40kg........his dose is 1.1ml

cant recall merlins....his dose is 0.54ml

bluebells 4.08kg ......her dose is 0.82ml

i wouldnt know wjhere to start maths wise working out the dose.i was glad to see one vet had to resort to a calculator:lol:

the thing i am lost about...is what symptoms to look for in a coccidia laden bunny..the hepatic/billiary version.

cant find much online or in the books i have:(

does this mean we should all go get buns we adopt or buy or get given a course of baycox or septrin like we do when we panacur them when we first get them.

i never quarrantined dazy-mae and her sis bluebell as i knew theyd been under scrutiny all the time at the rescue and fosterers...usually i try a 3 week quarantine period when getting another bunny.

i got dazy-maes ashes back few days before xmas...22nd i think...i really felt id let her down....ive never had such an experience:cry:

i wish more was avaiable on billiary/hepatic coccidia infestation.:(

Thanks - I'm no expert and my maths may be very, very wrong (I'll list it out below for others to check and correct!), but based on this, I'd say it looks as if your bun had about 16mg/kg dose, compared to 2.5mg/kg that Sharon et al recommend in that paper. It's still lower than the 25mg/kg which the same paper says is a miscalculation/overdose in the FHB book, but may be enough to show those side effects, maybe?

Might be worth checking with your vets just in case they ever need it again or indeed if they give the same dose to other buns!

My possibly dodgy maths which I am very open to being told is wrong:

Baycox says that the 5% solution contains 50mg/ml (http://www.baycox.com/453/How-to-Use-Baycox-5.htm) This is for sheepsies so I guess it's possible that they have a 5% solution of a different strength, but then it wouldn't be 5%, would it...?

So in 1.6ml there is 1.6x50 = 80mg.

Bunny is 5kg so 80/5 = 16mg/kg.

Thank you Santa :wave::wave::wave::wave:

BUMP THIS THREAD OR MAKE IT STICKY....PLEASE. We all think of coccidosis as being the disease of baby buns...but thats the intestinal one.

The scariest is the hepatic or liver version....anybun of any age can be affected.

the thing i am lost about...is what symptoms to look for in a coccidia laden bunny..the hepatic/billiary version.

In my experience, the main symptom is sudden and rapid weight loss even though the bun is still eating well and acting normally. Poos have mostly appeared completely normal although I have also known it to manifest with jelly-like substance around the poos. Sadly I have also found that they seem to turn a corner and look as if they're starting to get better, only to suddenly die - a bit like myxi in that respect.

In any multi-rabbit situation, I would suspect cocci if there was sudden weight loss in more than one rabbit, if concurrent or especially if it seems to happen in turn (i.e. because each of them is 'catching' it from another bun so it is taking a bit longer to come through.

Hepatic cocci is so devastating, I too would love to see more information and awareness of it :(

Thankyou so much for informing us of this disease...Im going to print it out & keep it as a reference....thankyou Jane!:wave:

hmm wakey wakey mods/admin:wave: sticky PLEASE.

i wonder if theyll ever be able to do a blood test to show infection with hepatic coccidia like they do for EC one day?

for my experience in it....poor dazy-mae was so lively and friendly and playful it was great..then three weeks or so in we presumed it was stress as she was still eating n pooping and moving but for two days she went queit and i took her to the vets.shed been doing soft poos too..i thought it was stress from getting hold of melrin and beating him up....or the stress of bonding even tho it wasnt true bonding..just mixed playtimes and snoozes and meals..it works with buns who are basically laid back. suddenly she kept attacking merlin and the cats for no apparant reason. i took her to see a vet...then found a haematoma on her tummy that was from her beating up merlin.
so i took her to my local vet whos left to have a baby and was usually pretty good with buns. she never took her temp either. and that night i had to rush poor dazy-mae to the other vets that gem uses..and they took her temp...42C:shock: they tried to save her life..sat evening she was looking better..temp was almost normal and she was taking large feeds syringed. then sunday 1pmish vet rang...she was getting worse again..so by 3pm aft:shock:r say:shock:ng she was not improving at all we agreed to go have her pts. and we did..she wasnt in her body :shock:if you know what i mean:cry:

i have posted her post mortem results in health...if anyone can simplify it for me or make better sense than i could or the vet..how can pulmonary oedema occur with no chest/lung crackles?

hmm wakey wakey mods/admin:wave: sticky PLEASE.

i wonder if theyll ever be able to do a blood test to show infection with hepatic coccidia like they do for EC one day?

for my experience in it....poor dazy-mae was so lively and friendly and playful it was great..then three weeks or so in we presumed it was stress as she was still eating n pooping and moving but for two days she went queit and i took her to the vets.shed been doing soft poos too..i thought it was stress from getting hold of melrin and beating him up....or the stress of bonding even tho it wasnt true bonding..just mixed playtimes and snoozes and meals..it works with buns who are basically laid back. suddenly she kept attacking merlin and the cats for no apparant reason. i took her to see a vet...then found a haematoma on her tummy that was from her beating up merlin.
so i took her to my local vet whos left to have a baby and was usually pretty good with buns. she never took her temp either. and that night i had to rush poor dazy-mae to the other vets that gem uses..and they took her temp...42C:shock: they tried to save her life..sat evening she was looking better..temp was almost normal and she was taking large feeds syringed. then sunday 1pmish vet rang...she was getting worse again..so by 3pm aft:shock:r say:shock:ng she was not improving at all we agreed to go have her pts. and we did..she wasnt in her body :shock:if you know what i mean:cry:

i have posted her post mortem results in health...if anyone can simplify it for me or make better sense than i could or the vet..how can pulmonary oedema occur with no chest/lung crackles?

I have posted my thoughts re the PM results on the other thread :cry:

thank you for your input jane.

i will never know and just feel guilty and sad.

in a weeks time the buns are due their next two day course of baycox...then i have to collect poo samples.:(

i hope it comes up under control.

been advised not to do vaccs until baycox finished and buns had a chance to calm down...of course merlins due his exam on the mass in his tummy too.

Thank you jane :wave: its always good to read information about illness's then we can tackle it at the first signs!

I did look at the sites and sorry if i missed somthing but how can it be prevented? sorry if i missed it :oops: although i only have two buns you never know..

:( sadly no there is no preventative measures.....only treatment.

some buns have no symptoms..other have.

if ever your buns have a fever or even gi probs..its worth seeing a vet..if theres ever any suspicion then they can do a fecal float test.....and then treat and then repeat test....

dazy-mae had the hepatic version..her bile duct and liver was affected.

she suddenly had gi issues..lost of soft poos but we put it down to the stress of the fight she had with merlin...she attacked him.

then she got very quiet....and then i noticed she wasnt eating or drinking as much as she had been and more soft poops than formed..so i took her to the vet..she was showing signs of beginning of gi stasis..but if only the first two vets had taken her temp.....:(

but by then of course shed have been on her way out anyway.
but she was only with us a few weeks...i was just learning their behaviour traits to see when theyre ill etc....i hadnt had her long enough.and it was just gi symptoms like a lot of my buns over the years have had.

infection is via infected bunny poops/cecals..or the surfaces their poo touches...even the grass.

buns are more likely to get the intestinal version...either way its not something ive dealt with before.....and i know others havernt either...forewarned is forearmed:wave:

I did look at the sites and sorry if i missed somthing but how can it be prevented? sorry if i missed it :oops:

It's hard to totally prevent but you can minimise the risk by daily cleaning of litter trays. The spores take 48 hours to become infective so if all poops are removed daily, there is less opportunity for them to reinfect themselves. It's absolutely not foolproof especially as bunny poop has a habit of getting absolutely everywhere and it will get onto the hay and bedding as well, but it is a small step which may help to minimise the risk.

Back