Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coccidiosis- All Rabbit Owners Should be Aware of This

Hybrid View

Wise Old Thumper

Default Coccidiosis- All Rabbit Owners Should be Aware of This

Please take time to read the links in this post.
    Coccidiosis is a lethal disease. Everyone who keeps Rabbits should know about it and how to minimise the risk of your Rabbits being effected. This particularly applies to those who have several Rabbits (yes, that includes me), those who take in and rehome Rabbits, Rabbit Boarders and Rabbit Breeders.

When very new to keeping Rabbits I found out the hard way about Coccidiosis and it's horrific implications. I introduced 4 baby Rabbits obtained from different sources, they were 8 weeks old. Unbeknown to me one was poorly. An outbreak of Coccidiosis occured and despite prompt Veterinary attention 2 babies died, the other two were VERY ill and whilst they survived the initial illness they had longterm, life limiting problems. Neither made it to their 3rd Birthday

Coccidiosis is preventable in many cases, being aware of it is the first step. Should you be unfortunate to have to deal with an outbreak then Knowing how to try to minimise suffering and losses is our responsibility as Rabbit Care Givers.

If this thread is read by some as me 'thinking I am an expert' then so-be-it.
    I am only interested in trying to pass on important information that we, as people responsible for the health and welfare of the Rabbits in our care, should know.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_dise...es/Cocc_en.htm

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/171332.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...s_Hedgehog.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00d...is_rabbits.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/squirts.pdf

Immediate Veterinary Attention is ALWAYS ESSENTIAL.
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 21-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks for the info Jane, I didnt know much about coccidiosis, it sounds horrible

As always your advise is correct and relevant. Those of us who want to look after our bunnies properly instead of burying our heads in the sand will be very grateful
    Gemma, mum to;

My beautiful Tilly left me for the bridge 11/01/2010. I love and miss her every single day. Sweet dreams precious girl, lifes not the same without you xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Jane, very informative as always

As a child we lost our first rabbit to this horrible disease

Thank you Jane sounds like an awful illness. How common is it? Its not something I have heard a lot about

They are such delicate animals arent they. In some ways I am glad I didnt know all this when I first got B and C it would have scared me off
    Last edited by weeble; 28-12-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: I was being blonde

Warren Veteran

Thank you Jane. I've not read the links yet as I'm using my phone not a computer but will do at the first opportunity. I know the basics but it's always good to know more and find out what has happened to others.

Wow - something else i didnt know!!

I'm finding i am learning something new rabbit related day by day!!

Such delicate little creatures.

Thank you Jane! xx

Thanks for the information I didn't know much about it either

Friendly Rabbit Forum for over 16's. Come and join everyone else over here!!

http://rabbitrendezvous.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Please take time to read the links in this post.
    Coccidiosis is a lethal disease. Everyone who keeps Rabbits should know about it and how to minimise the risk of your Rabbits being effected. This particularly applies to those who have several Rabbits (yes, that includes me), those who take in and rehome Rabbits, Rabbit Boarders and Rabbit Breeders.

If this thread is read by some as me 'thinking I am an expert' then so-be-it.
    I am only interested in trying to pass on important information that we, as people responsible for the health and welfare of the Rabbits in our care, should know.
    Who cares what some may think??!! I, for one, find your knowledge invaluable.

Proud Mummy of Pebbles and Barnaby. Forever missed my beautiful Tinker and Sheba
    New Mummy to Tilly - TGT - "Golden Greek" Tortoise

Warren Veteran

Thank you very much for this information Jane, you are a wonderful bunny mum and I think an auntie to all the RU bunnys you look out for.

Thanks so much for posting this Jane. I also had heard about it but didn't know much about the illness so thank you.

And sod those who have nothing better to do than make comments. They aren't worth it x