• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coccidiosis- All Rabbit Owners Should be Aware of This

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Please take time to read the links in this post.
Coccidiosis is a lethal disease. Everyone who keeps Rabbits should know about it and how to minimise the risk of your Rabbits being effected. This particularly applies to those who have several Rabbits (yes, that includes me), those who take in and rehome Rabbits, Rabbit Boarders and Rabbit Breeders.

When very new to keeping Rabbits I found out the hard way about Coccidiosis and it's horrific implications. I introduced 4 baby Rabbits obtained from different sources, they were 8 weeks old. Unbeknown to me one was poorly. An outbreak of Coccidiosis occured and despite prompt Veterinary attention 2 babies died, the other two were VERY ill and whilst they survived the initial illness they had longterm, life limiting problems. Neither made it to their 3rd Birthday :cry:

Coccidiosis is preventable in many cases, being aware of it is the first step. Should you be unfortunate to have to deal with an outbreak then Knowing how to try to minimise suffering and losses is our responsibility as Rabbit Care Givers.

If this thread is read by some as me 'thinking I am an expert' then so-be-it.
I am only interested in trying to pass on important information that we, as people responsible for the health and welfare of the Rabbits in our care, should know.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171332.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/squirts.pdf

Immediate Veterinary Attention is ALWAYS ESSENTIAL.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jane, I didnt know much about coccidiosis, it sounds horrible :(

As always your advise is correct and relevant. Those of us who want to look after our bunnies properly instead of burying our heads in the sand will be very grateful :wave:

Thanks Jane, very informative as always :wave:

As a child we lost our first rabbit to this horrible disease :cry:

Thank you Jane sounds like an awful illness. How common is it? Its not something I have heard a lot about

They are such delicate animals arent they. In some ways I am glad I didnt know all this when I first got B and C it would have scared me off

Last edited:
Please take time to read the links in this post.
Coccidiosis is a lethal disease. Everyone who keeps Rabbits should know about it and how to minimise the risk of your Rabbits being effected. This particularly applies to those who have several Rabbits (yes, that includes me), those who take in and rehome Rabbits, Rabbit Boarders and Rabbit Breeders.

If this thread is read by some as me 'thinking I am an expert' then so-be-it.
I am only interested in trying to pass on important information that we, as people responsible for the health and welfare of the Rabbits in our care, should know.

Who cares what some may think??!! I, for one, find your knowledge invaluable. :wave:

Thank you Jane. I've not read the links yet as I'm using my phone not a computer but will do at the first opportunity. I know the basics but it's always good to know more and find out what has happened to others.

Wow - something else i didnt know!! :?

I'm finding i am learning something new rabbit related day by day!! :shock:

Such delicate little creatures.

Thank you Jane! xx

I knew nothing about it either and my 'learning curve' was VERY painful. Both for me, but more importantly, for the Rabbits that suffered because of my lack of knowledge.

I just find it so upsetting to read/hear of scenarios that are a disaster waiting to happen and all attempts at imparting information are snubbed. So the ego of the owner/care-giver remains intact but the Rabbits suffer :cry:

Thank you Jane.

I've not had any first hand experience but it's always at the back of my mind, in particular following on from Lymington and the risks involved taking in rabbits from such a situation.

I shall read the links later.

Thanks Jane. It's vital that we know of any risk to our bunnies, how to prevent and treat if necessary. Something I didn't know much about.

Well I have learnt something new today and I'm always happy to increase my knowledge - as far as I am concerned post away :wave:

So much useful information in those links - thought it might also be useful to add a bit from my own experience of cocci: fortunately not my own rabbits but horribly tragic nonetheless :(

Sometimes cocci does not show up straight away in the faecal tests (especially if it is the hepatic type). Just because you get a negative faecal test it does not mean you can rule out cocci. If there are other factors which suggest it, keep pushing your vet because by the time it's diagnosed later, it could be too late. Similarly, Post mortem (again especially of the hepatic type) does not necessarily show the organism, it dies within an hour of the rabbit dying so again, if your vet does a pm any time other than immediately after death and tells you there's no cocci there, it doesn't necessarily mean that's not the cause. If other factors point towards cocci even without a firm diagnosis, I would ask your vet for treatment anyway.

The cysts take 48 hours to become infective, so the single most important thing you can do to prevent its spread is to clean out thoroughly daily. Use different brushes/pans between buns or dip them fully in boiling water or Jeyes fluid between uses. When cleaning out, make sure that not a single poop or piece of hay gets missed. Especially if it's windy, all it takes is some stray litter to get to another bun's hutch and you've potentially transferred it to another bun. Ideally, wash the accommodation down with boiling water/jeyes fluid but obviously common sense is necessary here: Jeyes fluid is highly toxic so can only be done if you have the space, time and accommodation to do it safely, rinse it completely and not put any buns back in until it is completely dry and smell-free.

Try and minimise the risk of buns reinfecting themselves (e.g. by eating hay they have pooped on) by taking all hay off the floor and putting it in hay in hay racks off the ground and using bowls for food/veg if you don't usually. It will make the place look a bit sparse and boring but it's only temporary and better to be safe than sorry. If it's winter and you need to provide cosy bedding, use something like a cardboard box stuffed with straw to minimise the risk of them eating so much of it.

If you have lots of buns and have a suspected/confirmed case of cocci, I would suggest complete quarantine: no buns in or out for at least 21 days after the last case of illness. Do not accept any buns for boarding/bonding etc and do not let any buns go to new homes, even if they seem fine. It has quite a long incubation period and you could just be spreading it about.

According to Sharon Redrobe, the Harcourt-Brown book has a mis-calculated dosage for toltrazuril. She says it is (off the top of my head) listed at a 10* overdose in the FHB book, caused by a mis-translation from ppm to mg/kg. She says that at the correct dose, toltrazuril is the most effective treatment but some vets are shying away from using it because they have heard of it causing problems - but it is likely that these problems have been caused because of the overdose. Your vet may be able to get in touch with Sharon via the Nottingham vet school (or via the RWA as she spoke about it at an RWA conference a couple of years ago) to confirm this if they are unsure of doses.

Obviously I'm not a vet but I would push for treatment for all buns whether showing illness or not - the long incubation period means that it could easily be harboured by some who are currently well. If they are all treated at the same time you have more chance of containing any outbreak and ensuring that no more buns get sick, imo.

Last edited:
So much useful information in those links - thought it might also be useful to add a bit from my own experience of cocci: fortunately not my own rabbits but horribly tragic nonetheless :(

Sometimes cocci does not show up straight away in the faecal tests (especially if it is the hepatic type). Just because you get a negative faecal test it does not mean you can rule out cocci. If there are other factors which suggest it, keep pushing your vet because by the time it's diagnosed later, it could be too late. Similarly, Post mortem (again especially of the hepatic type) does not necessarily show the organism, it dies within an hour of the rabbit dying so again, if your vet does a pm any time other than immediately after death and tells you there's no cocci there, it doesn't necessarily mean that's not the cause. If other factors point towards cocci even without a firm diagnosis, I would ask your vet for treatment anyway.

The cysts take 48 hours to become infective, so the single most important thing you can do to prevent its spread is to clean out thoroughly daily. Use different brushes/pans between buns or dip them fully in boiling water or Jeyes fluid between uses. When cleaning out, make sure that not a single poop or piece of hay gets missed. Especially if it's windy, all it takes is some stray litter to get to another bun's hutch and you've potentially transferred it to another bun. Ideally, wash the accommodation down with boiling water/jeyes fluid but obviously common sense is necessary here: Jeyes fluid is highly toxic so can only be done if you have the space, time and accommodation to do it safely, rinse it completely and not put any buns back in until it is completely dry and smell-free.

Try and minimise the risk of buns reinfecting themselves (e.g. by eating hay they have pooped on) by taking all hay off the floor and putting it in hay in hay racks off the ground and using bowls for food/veg if you don't usually. It will make the place look a bit sparse and boring but it's only temporary and better to be safe than sorry. If it's winter and you need to provide cosy bedding, use something like a cardboard box stuffed with straw to minimise the risk of them eating so much of it.

If you have lots of buns and have a suspected/confirmed case of cocci, I would suggest complete quarantine: no buns in or out for at least 21 days after the last case of illness. Do not accept any buns for boarding/bonding etc and do not let any buns go to new homes, even if they seem fine. It has quite a long incubation period and you could just be spreading it about.

According to Sharon Redrobe, the Harcourt-Brown book has a mis-calculated dosage for toltrazuril. She says it is (off the top of my head) listed at a 10* overdose in the FHB book, caused by a mis-translation from ppm to mg/kg. She says that at the correct dose, toltrazuril is the most effective treatment but some vets are shying away from using it because they have heard of it causing problems - but it is likely that these problems have been caused because of the overdose. Your vet may be able to get in touch with Sharon via the Nottingham vet school (or via the RWA as she spoke about it at an RWA conference a couple of years ago) to confirm this if they are unsure of doses.

Obviously I'm not a vet but I would push for treatment for all buns whether showing illness or not - the long incubation period means that it could easily be harboured by some who are currently well. If they are all treated at the same time you have more chance of containing any outbreak and ensuring that no more buns get sick, imo.

Thanks so much for that really useful post Santa xx

I was told Panacur could help coccidiosis but then another vet said there was no evidence. I took a poo sample to my vets for some tests and they said they do not do tests on poo. I have printed the info for my file thankyou.

bobsII-1.gif

IMG_0198-1.gif

I was told Panacur could help coccidiosis but then another vet said there was no evidence.

Interesting point - I've not heard of panacur being given to bunnies for coccidiosis but it seems that it is given to dogs. I wonder why - anyone know? Is it because the strains differ and are resistant, or because the mode of action differs in bunnies, or because they're trying to keep panacur for e.cuniculi, or simply because they think the other drugs like toltrazuril are better? Or something else...

Anyone know??

After quite recently having two seperate cases of coccidia (totaly unrelated as different strains) in our rescue buns i agree that this is something anyone keeping rabbits should be aware of

However ... i MUST stress that with good quarentine and cleanliness (we used steam cleaning and boiling water ) It is resonably easy to eradicate . BUT all rabbits , even low risk ones must be treat at the same time .

It seems that ..as with EC , coccidia is present in the intestines of all rabbits and only causes a problem when the amount gets too great ..eg. in dirty conditions or a rabbit that has other problems which means the numbers of coccidia present in the gut/organs multiply as the rabbits immune system cannot cope .

stress and illness can be contributing factors ... our vet also thinks sudden temperature changes can also be a factor .

The truth is ..coccidosis could flare up at any time in any rabbit given the right conditions . It could possibly be one of the biggest causes of stasis .

Interesting point - I've not heard of panacur being given to bunnies for coccidiosis but it seems that it is given to dogs. I wonder why - anyone know? Is it because the strains differ and are resistant, or because the mode of action differs in bunnies, or because they're trying to keep panacur for e.cuniculi, or simply because they think the other drugs like toltrazuril are better? Or something else...

Anyone know??

no idea ... we treat with septrin .

Anyone know??

Could it be that a different strain of coccidia effects herbivores than the one that effects carnivores :?

Could it be that a different strain of coccidia effects herbivores than the one that effects carnivores :?

Yes its different .. coccidia is species specific ..

coccidia also affects cats , cows , sheep , chickens etc .. :?..but each has its own strains .. and each species has several different ones .. i think there are 12 which affect rabbits ..but these dont effect other animals .

Back