• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't like having 2 single buns

jenzel5

Mama Doe
I know this might sound harsh but I really don't like having 2 single buns. The reasons being that even though they live next to eachother they don't have another bun to snuggle up with. I have just had to make arrangements for where they are staying for christmas when I go home. Dudley is going to my mums and Lucy to my Dads as there are 2 big cages involved so they can't stay at the same place. Although it is all sorted I just think back and think of my gorgeous Hayden and how much I miss seeing her and Dudley together. They had such a close bond. I guess this is my first christmas without Hayden too and I am really missing her.:(
I haven't had the time to attempt another bonding with Dudley and Lucy and to be honest don't think I have the patience and kind of decided that I will try getting 2 more buns next year when I move house but that isn't going to happen for another 6 months possibly. I said that if Lucy didn't bond with Dudley I would have to rehome her as it just didn't seem possible (or fair) to keep 2 single buns. But that isn't going to happen as it would break my heart to give Lucy away now.
I guess I might see if a rescue will attempt the bonding once more with them next year but everything always seems so difficult. Sorry for the rant, why are rabbits so difficult sometimes. I wish it would have been easy and they would have just bonded without problems. I am jealous when I read about how easy it was for some people.
It just frustrates me that I want the absolute best for them but it never seems to work out. Don't get me wrong, they are happy bunnies but...
I shall stop typing now :oops:

aw hun I can only imagine how hard that is for you.

Sometimes perseverence is what it needs. I always think of crofty's teddy with bonding, she tried and tried, eventually gave up and put him for rehoming, then decided to have one more go and it worked :love:

I think seeing if a rescue will do the bond for you is a good idea as the buns may pick up on your stress.

How badly did it go the first time? I know that a handful of people have managed to get a pair that wouldn't bond to work as a trio with a third bun as the hierarchy is different. Might be worth a try if you're considering getting two new buns for 2 pairs anyway?

I know what it's like to obsess and fuss over bunnies. My mind never gets a rest so you rant and rave away - you need to get it off your chest and 'normal' non bunny folk just dont get it!!!

If it was me - I wouldn't be able to cope with bonding either - I'd find a rescue I knew I could trust and let them try. Maybe someone on the forum could recommend somewhere near you... but rant away!! I don't know what I'd do without RU because my friends and family arent interested and are sick listening to me about my bunnies!!! :lol::lol:

When I first had Colin he lived outside but came in for a play everyday.
I thought he was happy (I still think he was) but he was on his own for more hours than he was in with me, so he went on a blind date and met Cilla Black.

Yes, their bonding was quick and is ok, but they're not 'in love' I dont think?

I'm hoping to bond them both with M&M very soon, but I already think I'll have problems :( -

you do my four and I'll do your two??

deal??? :lol:

How badly did it go the first time? I know that a handful of people have managed to get a pair that wouldn't bond to work as a trio with a third bun as the hierarchy is different. Might be worth a try if you're considering getting two new buns for 2 pairs anyway?

Well they bit eachother and chased ALOT. I slept in the bathroom for a few nights and it is too stressful IMO. I did so much research beforehand aswell. I think it might be worth one more shot but I will get someone with a bit more experience to do it I think.

you do my four and I'll do your two??

deal???

Erm, no thanks :lol: 2 was bad enough. Good luck with bonding four. Hopefully they will all get along and make it easy for you.

Thanks everyone. It all just gets really stressful when I think about it. I was thinking about getting another 2, one for each bun if they don't bond because I can't stand the thought of them not having company to snuggle and cause trouble with.

Definetely try (or get someone else to) another bonding of them
because if you got two more buns and that didn't work (highly unlikely I would think tho?) you could end up with four single buns :shock:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Definetely try (or get someone else to) another bonding of them
because if you got two more buns and that didn't work (highly unlikely I would think tho?) you could end up with four single buns :shock:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lol I would get rescue buns and take them to a rescue for bonding so that if it didn't work out that wouldn't happen!
The reason I have Lucy is because I felt forced to go and see her by someone when I was trying to find a home for a stray bunny. I went to see her and couldn't leave without her for numerous reasons. I have spent a good couple hundred pounds on vet care for her and have seen her personality shine through.
That's why when I brought her home I told my oh that if the bonding didn't work then we would have to rehome her, in the best interest of both buns, but we have bonded now and she is happy here. I have never seen a bunny binky so much. I will have to sort something out.
Dudley went to a rescue to be bonded with a little girly before we got Lucy but she didn't like him :shock:
See, stressful!

I can really identify with you.

My two are singles and they live outdoors:(
I'm hoping to bond them next year though:)

I know how you feel, we've just got a new girl to bond with Sooty. My xmas present from my OH was supposed to be two snuggling bunnies!
Unfortunatly bonding didn't go well and so they are now living seperatly, I hate it! Whenever I'm with one I feel guilty on the other, I just wish they would get on, so they could both free range and have a lovely life together, it's so frustrating that I cant just explain that to them!
I'm holding off on the bonding now till after xmas and I'm just praying that it all goes well next time! I love them to bits and dont know what I'd do if it didn't!
Good luck with your two, I really feel for you, it's so dissapointing when things don't go to plan, even though your trying to do whats best for them!

Back