Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please-rabbit with a broken paw? :(

Default Help please-rabbit with a broken paw? :(

Hi
    I haven't been around for SO long but I wondered if you could give me some advice.
    I only have 2 'flower girls' left now, Blackberry and Daisy, a very closely bonded pair (although they were from each of my 2 groups originally).
    They live free range in the garden and often hop into the kitchen- last night I was shutting the door and Blackberry trapped her paw in the door. She immediately ran round the garden and when I checked on them later they were both munching on hay in the hutch. I assumed I'd just nipped her nails.
    Today, both are acting normally- running around in the snow, begging for food every time I step outside, chasing the cats, eating normally- but Blackberry's on 3 legs- her paw is hanging 'limp'. It's not at a strange angle, there's no blood- but she obvioulsly can't weight bear.
    Do I put her through the trauma of a vet visit if she seems fine in herself or would she do this 'paw hanging' if it were just a bad bruise. If it's broken would she act so normally? What about pain relief?
    I feel dreadful, poor girl.

I would go to the vets if it were my bun, just to be on the safe side.

I would take her to the vets, there's no way to know for sure what's happened, I have in the past had Nutmeg do this, taken her to the vets and then she's been as right as rain the next day but conversely I've also taken Mini to the vets, had the vet say it's a sprain and then two weeks later no change and they x-rayed her and her hip was dislocated. So you don't know and if it was me I'd want the vet to take a look.

Latest photos and videos -> MISCHA / MINI / NUTMEG / SMUDGE
    Think rabbits are cheap? Think again! -> 2014 RUNNING TOTAL
    Housing stickies -> INDOOR / OUTDOOR

Definitely Vet check

I'd take her to the vet too
    I AM BUNNYMUMMY TO 22 GORGEOUS RABBITS

Also remembering my beautiful bridge bunnies.xx

Thankyou, thought so- going to try to catch her now- she's still pretty nifty on 3 legs!

Yes, definitely the vet to be on the safe side. Hopefully it's just a sprain or bruising, but better to be safe I think.

Alfie dislocated his hock in exactly the same way. His leg looked absolutely fine, apart from the fact he wouldn't bear weight on it.

I got him to the vet within half an hour of him doing it (mainly gut instinct that something wasn't right tbh as he refused a basil leaf) so I'm not sure how he would have been acting later on if I hadn't but by the time we got there he was bearing weight on it, so you can't always tell.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenM View Post
    Yes, definitely the vet to be on the safe side. Hopefully it's just a sprain or bruising, but better to be safe I think.

Alfie dislocated his hock in exactly the same way. His leg looked absolutely fine, apart from the fact he wouldn't bear weight on it.

I got him to the vet within half an hour of him doing it (mainly gut instinct that something wasn't right tbh as he refused a basil leaf) so I'm not sure how he would have been acting later on if I hadn't but by the time we got there he was bearing weight on it, so you can't always tell.
    Really? When you say hock you mean like what would be the hip in humans? Or the joint lower down? My old vet was amazed when they saw Mini's x-ray cos they'd never had anything like it in a rabbit before.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuette View Post
    Really? When you say hock you mean like what would be the hip in humans? Or the joint lower down? My old vet was amazed when they saw Mini's x-ray cos they'd never had anything like it in a rabbit before.
    It was the part lower down; the vet described it as the equivalent of our ankle. Alfie got his toes caught in the door and the force yanked the hock.

Oh I see, poor little thing. How does he get on with it now?