• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyone feed no veg or very little?

Regarding the carrot tops, our local farm will save some for me if I ask :D

My vet told me to only give Louie a tiny bit of green stuff and, if he hasn't eaten it all within a short space of time, to take it away so that the only thing available for the majority of the day is his hay.

The only greens I feed are peashoots and herbs plus carrot tops. He also gets a tiny amount of pellets.

Regarding the carrot tops, our local farm will save some for me if I ask :D

My vet told me to only give Louie a tiny bit of green stuff and, if he hasn't eaten it all within a short space of time, to take it away so that the only thing available for the majority of the day is his hay.

The only greens I feed are peashoots and herbs plus carrot tops. He also gets a tiny amount of pellets.

why do you all live near farms and fields and pathways filled with brambles etc! :lol:

there's a greengrocers near my mum and dads, but it's always busy, and not open from 11pm when it's dark and i can go out! :oops::lol: the man there is horrible aswell. asked if i could have any leftovers at the end of the day (this was years ago) and he said he would rather throw them away! :shock::evil:

anyways, will try and think of something. i think dan said he fixed the camera so will try and take a pic of the bushes outside. one still looks 'alive', the others are just twigs now! :lol:

If you say you're near Heaton Park then I have to assume you're in Manchester. I used to live just off Old Hall Lane in Whitefield, I don't know how far away you are from there but it turns into an old country lane that goes down beside some fields and is packed with brambles and probably loads more.

Haven't been there for a while and I know they're growing a new forest near there but I think that part is still untouched. It's just of Ringley Road.

All of ours really only get a small amount of veg every other day or so as a treat. Thankfully all of them are good hay eaters - even our gummy bunnies manage it fine :) They get a handful of pellets in the morning & a few at night - the size of the handful dependent on the size of the bunny.

Other than that our brood go through 3 bales of hay a week. I used to feed quite a lot & different varieties of veg - but since cutting down, they've all increased their hay intake massively - which has obviously had a positive effect on our dental bunnies & all of their poo's :D

Biscandmatt1, what type of rabbit is Matt? Hes gorgous!!
I feed my buns pellets and hay and they also have a spring green leaf and a couple of slices of carrot or apple or broccoli. They also like a slice of banana when I have my breakfast.
In the summer they have hazel and brambles aswell as grass. My garden is dead now. They do like to eat the leaves from the acer tree that have fallen on the ground.
Where do people get dried herbs from? Surely not out of the pot (schwartz)?:lol:

Well Buns are like people,they have their likes and dislikes.My boy rabbit is nearly seven and he loves his veg,brocolli,spring greens,carrots tops and roots,sprouts,and grass,clover and dandelions.Hay is boring to him,he does eat it,but give veg and he's in there!:D

If you say you're near Heaton Park then I have to assume you're in Manchester. I used to live just off Old Hall Lane in Whitefield, I don't know how far away you are from there but it turns into an old country lane that goes down beside some fields and is packed with brambles and probably loads more.

Haven't been there for a while and I know they're growing a new forest near there but I think that part is still untouched. It's just of Ringley Road.

yes, i'm in manchester, not far from heaton park. there would be loads in there i think, but not sure if i'd be allowed to pick anything. we used to go every week as kids. when there were blossom trees my dad used to snap me a branch off to keep. :love:

i know where whitefield is, never been though. i'll add it to my list of places anyway though. :)

All of ours really only get a small amount of veg every other day or so as a treat. Thankfully all of them are good hay eaters - even our gummy bunnies manage it fine :) They get a handful of pellets in the morning & a few at night - the size of the handful dependent on the size of the bunny.

Other than that our brood go through 3 bales of hay a week. I used to feed quite a lot & different varieties of veg - but since cutting down, they've all increased their hay intake massively - which has obviously had a positive effect on our dental bunnies & all of their poo's :D

luckily mine eat loads of hay aswell. i too noticed a big difference when all the 'human' veg got taken away, their poops were much better and they stopped getting any tummy troubles. even if i slightly increase the amount they have i notice it's just too much for them. they have a small plate between them, usually of 3-4 herbs.

Biscandmatt1, what type of rabbit is Matt? Hes gorgous!!
I feed my buns pellets and hay and they also have a spring green leaf and a couple of slices of carrot or apple or broccoli. They also like a slice of banana when I have my breakfast.
In the summer they have hazel and brambles aswell as grass. My garden is dead now. They do like to eat the leaves from the acer tree that have fallen on the ground.
Where do people get dried herbs from? Surely not out of the pot (schwartz)?:lol:

i'm biased but i agree, he's gorgeous! :love: he's a dwarf lop (was told a dwarf/mini cross but not sure) i think the colour is broken magpie. he's such a cutie. :love:

it's so much better in summer isn't it. when i lived at home, they loved the branches and leaves from the willow tree. actually, i only thought before, my mum and dad have loads of different bushes in the garden, will have to find out what they all are. and i'm planning on asking them if i can have a patch of the garden to try and grow some things aswell. they don't use the area next to the shed (my shed!!) so might steal that for myself! :lol:

i get dried herbs from hayexperts and galens garden. :)

Well Buns are like people,they have their likes and dislikes.My boy rabbit is nearly seven and he loves his veg,brocolli,spring greens,carrots tops and roots,sprouts,and grass,clover and dandelions.Hay is boring to him,he does eat it,but give veg and he's in there!:D

they definitely let you know what they like and don't like! :roll::lol: you should have seen them when i offered them mint! horrified is not even the word to describe the looks on their faces! :shock::lol:

very extreme case. fussy bunny! :no:

i'm lucky that bisc and matt eat so much hay, and love lots of different types, so don't know how important veg is really. :?

vet said hay obv, grass, dried herbs and anything that is a leafy green, and anything natural - sticks, leaves etc.

bisc and matt don't have pellets anymore, just a probiotic.

they just can't tolerate anything very well, but i don't want them to be missing out on anything.

:)

scooter has hay everyday but its the p@h stuff and he doesnt like it he thinks its more worry to pee on instead. he is on adult pellts about 40g a day but i am trying to cut him down and put him on more of a hay diet with about 15 g of pellets and he has either a carrot or brocilli everyday before i go to bed and he also has cardboard and wood which he feels the need to eat and bite on.

scooter has hay everyday but its the p@h stuff and he doesnt like it he thinks its more worry to pee on instead. he is on adult pellts about 40g a day but i am trying to cut him down and put him on more of a hay diet with about 15 g of pellets and he has either a carrot or brocilli everyday before i go to bed and he also has cardboard and wood which he feels the need to eat and bite on.

has he had his teeth checked recently? just with you saying he won't eat hay and bites the cardboard and wood alot. i know bunnies nibble things, but someone (thumps i think) told me that cardboard is a type of fibre and when bisc started eating it he was trying to get fibre (the wrong kind but he didn't know that!) and it turned out he had spurs. i know when my two have spurs as they don't seem able to eat hay and start biting everything, especially cardboard. usually with teeth problems, they either stop eating hay, or pellets and veg, usually one or the other. just thought i would mention incase :)

have you tried other hays than the pets at home one? hayexperts do a sample pack which has five different hays to try before you order the larger sizes. animal magic pet supplies have sample bags aswell. i use dustfreehay and the willow warren hays and they are lovely, the buns love them. also very popular with my two is burns green oat hay, oxbow timothy, oxbow oat, and oxbow botanical.

dried herbs could be good if your bun isn't keen on hay aswell. again, i get them from the hayexperts and galens garden. you can mix them in the hay so he has to forage for them. might make him eat hay aswell. :)

sorry if i've said things you already know. :oops:

eta: if you wanted, i could send you a sample of the dust free hay, and the willow warren hay. i'm getting some oxbow oat hay aswell soon so could send you a sample of that. let me know if you want some :wave:

has he had his teeth checked recently? just with you saying he won't eat hay and bites the cardboard and wood alot. i know bunnies nibble things, but someone (thumps i think) told me that cardboard is a type of fibre and when bisc started eating it he was trying to get fibre (the wrong kind but he didn't know that!) and it turned out he had spurs. i know when my two have spurs as they don't seem able to eat hay and start biting everything, especially cardboard. usually with teeth problems, they either stop eating hay, or pellets and veg, usually one or the other. just thought i would mention incase :)

have you tried other hays than the pets at home one? hayexperts do a sample pack which has five different hays to try before you order the larger sizes. animal magic pet supplies have sample bags aswell. i use dustfreehay and the willow warren hays and they are lovely, the buns love them. also very popular with my two is burns green oat hay, oxbow timothy, oxbow oat, and oxbow botanical.

dried herbs could be good if your bun isn't keen on hay aswell. again, i get them from the hayexperts and galens garden. you can mix them in the hay so he has to forage for them. might make him eat hay aswell. :)

sorry if i've said things you already know. :oops:

eta: if you wanted, i could send you a sample of the dust free hay, and the willow warren hay. i'm getting some oxbow oat hay aswell soon so could send you a sample of that. let me know if you want some :wave:

well i cant really check him but when i got to take him in to be neatured ill have someone check hes not the nicest of bunny. i have to fight him to trim his nails which obviously i dont like to do. he does eat hay just not pets at home he normally get some hay from the pet shop in town and he loves that dont know wat type it is but he loves it. he is eating normally but hes started making it last for more of the day i thyinks thats because of the hay that he has already he still does eat the pets at home hay just a bit every so often but i am out for most of the day so dont really notice this. hes alwasy been a fan of cardboard every so often i stop him from having it thought just in case of if he has any problems.

what dried herbs can i give him and were do u get them from. is there any that u can but in shops.

as for the hay when u order it online do u get it delivered to u with no problems. and if so can u give me a couple of relaible sites plz thank u.

so is veg a bad thing or a good thing cause scooters had carrot, brocilli, a bit of cabbage not to much, and some apple before.

wat are the best things to feed them.

well i cant really check him but when i got to take him in to be neatured ill have someone check hes not the nicest of bunny. i have to fight him to trim his nails which obviously i dont like to do. he does eat hay just not pets at home he normally get some hay from the pet shop in town and he loves that dont know wat type it is but he loves it. he is eating normally but hes started making it last for more of the day i thyinks thats because of the hay that he has already he still does eat the pets at home hay just a bit every so often but i am out for most of the day so dont really notice this. hes alwasy been a fan of cardboard every so often i stop him from having it thought just in case of if he has any problems.

what dried herbs can i give him and were do u get them from. is there any that u can but in shops.

as for the hay when u order it online do u get it delivered to u with no problems. and if so can u give me a couple of relaible sites plz thank u.

so is veg a bad thing or a good thing cause scooters had carrot, brocilli, a bit of cabbage not to much, and some apple before.

just so people know i live in rawmarsh south yorkshire is there any where near me that do good places for herbs and hays. or even bunny toys cause the ones i have for scooter are rubbish.

one more thing do u know leaves that fall of tress and have dried up and gone crunchy can bunnys have them cause one time when i had scooter out he did eat a couple of these and seemed to enjoy them.

ah, ok. yes, the vet needs to check the teeth, they can see the back teeth aswell then. :) i had to stop bisc and matt having cardboard aswell because bisc can't be trusted not to eat it! :roll:

i use these sites. they will say which herbs are ok for the buns. i have used all these sites and had no problems with the delivery.

from the hayexperts, my two have the coneflower, coltsfoot, ginko plus, jerusalem artichoke and dandelion. they have the green oat hay, oxbow timothy, oxbow botanical, oxbow oat hay, and they also liked the burns welsh meadow hay aswell.

they eat both the soft and stalky from dust free hay. :)

www.hayexperts.co.uk

www.dustfreehay.co.uk

www.animalmagicpetsupplies.co.uk

www.galensgarden.co.uk

www.willowwarren.co.uk

i don't know about dried herbs in shops as i only shop online. :)

veg is fine if your bun can tolerate it. some can't tolerate much, like my two. more natural foods are good for them aswell as veg, dried herbs, apple sticks and leaves etc.

ideally, hay is the main part of the diet, so loads and loads of that, 80-90% of the diet should be hay, some veg, natural foods, and a very small amount of pellets. you said you are reducing the pellets, so just continue to do that gradually, increase the hay as you do, until you are feeding about an eggcup a day of pellets, some people feed half an eggcup. (this might be different for young bunnies though)

hope that helps :wave:

Last edited:
one more thing do u know leaves that fall of tress and have dried up and gone crunchy can bunnys have them cause one time when i had scooter out he did eat a couple of these and seemed to enjoy them.

it depends which trees/bushes they are from as some are not safe for bunnies. there is a list of safe trees/bushes etc somewhere, i hope someone can post it for you. i thought i had it saved somewhere but can't find it now. :roll:

i have another question srry about this i am fairly new to the world of rabbits scooter is my first bunny and i just want him to have the best care i can provide.

anyways on to my question is timothy hay better than the pets at home stuff and is burgress excel herbage better as well cause if it is im just gonna get him that next time in stead of pets at home crappy hay.

also is there anything better than wat im feeding him on now he is on burgress excel adult and has been on pellets since a baby. (got him from pets at home).

i think petshop hays tend to be worse quality. the ones from the links i posted are the best ones. they have the excel herbage on the hayexperts site so it should be fine. i have used that in the past and it was ok, but very short strands and quite dusty. the best hay i've found is from dust free hay and the willow warren. :)

You have to be a bit careful with some tree/shrub leaves.

Safe leaves are apple,pear,raspberry, blackberry, fruiting currants (black/red/white) goosberry, grape, hawthorn (remove the buds & berries), hazel (be sure it IS hazel - with catkins in early spring or nuts on it - & not Wych Elm which hasn't) silver birch.

Avoid leaves from all stone fruit (cherry/plum) & all evergreens, oak.
It's lovely to grow or collect your own stuff. This is a long thread with lots of useful tips & good humour. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239131

i think petshop hays tend to be worse quality. the ones from the links i posted are the best ones. they have the excel herbage on the hayexperts site so it should be fine. i have used that in the past and it was ok, but very short strands and quite dusty. the best hay i've found is from dust free hay and the willow warren. :)

okay thank you

Back