• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyone feed no veg or very little?

Sorry not read the whole thread but my foster buns have apple sticks/leaves + bramble leaves every day & they were having hawthorn too before I ran out :( In the summer/autumn they also have raspberry & strawberry leaves plus dandelion.

The natural things seem to improve their poops + they love them :D

What about carrot tops (as oppose to the carrots themselves)?

They have hawthorn for elevenses every day - I'm hoping I have enough to get through the winter as it's their favourite :shock:

I've got a stash of brown paper bags and have divided the rose leaves/petals/apple leaves etc between them for in the afternoon, with a few more hawthorn leaves. I feed the bramble/raspberry leaves if they have any sign of a smaller poo or squishy poo, and the have fresh basil leaves a couple of times a week for a treat.

I have only got a few calendula leaves/flowers dried as the frost came so much earlier than expected, but they love those too.

Oh yes marigold flowers :love: Sally at Pampered Piggies used to sell wonderful bags of just marigold flowers and my buns LOVED them. So sad she had to cease trading last year. :cry::cry:

i think i'm lucky then that they love hay so much. they have their main hay and then some treat hays, and will be having the willow warren hay aswell now! :D

i can't believe how much better they seemed from having dried herbs. aidan is a big fan of dried herbs aswell, he says they are really good for them, along with their hay and grass.

the grass is a concern though, they eat loads in spring and summer, or when it's dry and i can pick some. they haven't had any in a while though. it wasn't overly successful being grown inside by me either :oops: i did try that grow your own grass, that didn't do well with them. anything that isn't proper grass sets them off. they have had dried grass before, the readigrass i think, and weren't very well after.

do you think not having grass everyday will mean they aren't getting what they need? or will lots of different hays and herbs etc be enough most of the time?

glad yours have been fine with no pellets. i think bisc and matt seem better off them. :)

Hay IS grass so they will be fine and the Willow Warren hay is fantastic and full of a variety of grasses so much so that you can use that hay exclusively without needing to add other hays. :):wave:

They have hawthorn for elevenses every day - I'm hoping I have enough to get through the winter as it's their favourite :shock:

I've got a stash of brown paper bags and have divided the rose leaves/petals/apple leaves etc between them for in the afternoon, with a few more hawthorn leaves. I feed the bramble/raspberry leaves if they have any sign of a smaller poo or squishy poo, and the have fresh basil leaves a couple of times a week for a treat.

I have only got a few calendula leaves/flowers dried as the frost came so much earlier than expected, but they love those too.

do you give them the paper bags aswell? ches and maisie have paper bags, but i never think to give them to bisc and matt. might have to try that, fill them with hay and dried herbs, they would love that. :love:

I haven't read the whole thread but Bunski gets a few bits of veg a day, but not much variety as he is prone to sticky poos. I give him carrot, rocket, spring greens, broccolli and cabbage leaves, but only one thing a day and not a lot.

Sorry not read the whole thread but my foster buns have apple sticks/leaves + bramble leaves every day & they were having hawthorn too before I ran out :( In the summer/autumn they also have raspberry & strawberry leaves plus dandelion.

The natural things seem to improve their poops + they love them :D

What about carrot tops (as oppose to the carrots themselves)?

making a note of bramble and hawthorn! :D

where do you get them from though? do you have to go and find them somewhere, or grow them?

i've never thought about the tops. i'm scared of trying anything they have had in the past now. :oops:

Carrot tops I feed ALL the time - good source of calcium and Vit A. However, they are no longer seasonal so you will be hard pressed to find them. They never cause upset with my two. :D

Hawthorn and bramble need to be picked from the hedgerows and then fed fresh or dried for winter!

Oh yes marigold flowers :love: Sally at Pampered Piggies used to sell wonderful bags of just marigold flowers and my buns LOVED them. So sad she had to cease trading last year. :cry::cry:

i loved the pampered piggies site. i used to get the sweet meadow hay for them all and they loved it. used to spend alot on that site. i remember she sold quite a few bags of flowers and things like that.

i hope they open again in the future.

I haven't read the whole thread but Bunski gets a few bits of veg a day, but not much variety as he is prone to sticky poos. I give him carrot, rocket, spring greens, broccolli and cabbage leaves, but only one thing a day and not a lot.

it seems alot of buns can't tolerate 'human' veg very well doesn't it. the difference in my two since stopping all that is great though. they used to have so many problems with their poops and tummies.

so delicate aren't they.

You will probably find that if you cut out the carrot, and brassicas (cabbage/spring greens/brocoli and cabbage leaves - all same family) and use fresh herbs and alternative greens that Bunski's sticky poos improve.
Carrots (due to high levels of starch) and the brassica family are renound for causing dysbiosis :wave:

Carrot tops I feed ALL the time - good source of calcium and Vit A. However, they are no longer seasonal so you will be hard pressed to find them. They never cause upset with my two. :D

Hawthorn and bramble need to be picked from the hedgerows and then fed fresh or dried for winter!

i wouldn't have a clue what to look for! :oops: or where! :oops: be a good reason to leave the house though wouldn't it! :D

eta: stupid question but carrot tops, is that any of the tops, or the ones with the leaves (?) on.. ? :oops: i don't know anything!! :lol:

do you give them the paper bags aswell? ches and maisie have paper bags, but i never think to give them to bisc and matt. might have to try that, fill them with hay and dried herbs, they would love that. :love:

They are good and don't eat paper etc, so sometimes I put hay in the bags with bits mixed in.

I just find it easier to have divided the dried food up so that I know how many portions it will make, then all the individual bags sit in the airing cupboard and I can just take them out as I need them :)

They are good and don't eat paper etc, so sometimes I put hay in the bags with bits mixed in.

I just find it easier to have divided the dried food up so that I know how many portions it will make, then all the individual bags sit in the airing cupboard and I can just take them out as I need them :)

good idea :D we don't use our airing cupboard so lots of room in there!

Hay IS grass so they will be fine and the Willow Warren hay is fantastic and full of a variety of grasses so much so that you can use that hay exclusively without needing to add other hays. :):wave:

i didn't know if fresh grass would give them anything extra. :oops: can't wait to start feeding the willow warren hay aswell. ordering two large boxes this week to mix in with their stalky dustfreehay. :love:

Mine don't get much greenery at all to be honest. They get a few more pellets to make up for it and all eat tonnes of hay.
They are all are a healthy weight with no teeth/gut problems.

Mine don't get much greenery at all to be honest. They get a few more pellets to make up for it and all eat tonnes of hay.
They are all are a healthy weight with no teeth/gut problems.

i feel much better knowing other people feed as little fresh food as i do. always worrying!! :roll:

Yes, Blackberry & Co I've noticed that a lot of tummy bunnies, Thumper included (before he was so ill) like hawthorn leaves as a daily maintenance of fiber. When fresh they provide nice leafy greens too.

You will probably find that if you cut out the carrot, and brassicas (cabbage/spring greens/brocoli and cabbage leaves - all same family) and use fresh herbs and alternative greens that Bunski's sticky poos improve.
Carrots (due to high levels of starch) and the brassica family are renound for causing dysbiosis :wave:

Forgot to mention, I feed dry herbs and fresh herbs too.

probably another daft question but a bramble bush, is that any bush that has berries, like blackberry bush? :oops:

one of the bushes round our wall that hangs into the garden is a blackberry bush i think. it has berries anyway! :lol:

it gets white blossom looking flowers if that helps! and the leaves are quite pointy/spikey?? they are green but sometimes have yellow on them i think... :?

i look at pics on the net but can never tell what is what. :roll:

Last edited:
probably another daft question but a bramble bush, is that any bush that has berries, like blackberry bush? :oops:

one of the bushes round our wall that hangs into the garden is a blackberry bush i think. it has berries anyway! :lol:

it gets white blossom looking flowers if that helps! and the leaves are quite pointy/spikey?? they are green but sometimes have yellow on them i think... :?

i look at pics on the net but can never tell what is what. :roll:

Yes they rethe same as blackberry bushes, & there's nothing like them with their long thorney stems festooning the hedge. You can find them in cities too, you just have to gather them above a doggies wee wee level & away from major roads (traffic fumes).

Back