• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rubber Mats

twobunnies&apony

Alpha Buck
Just wondered if anyone has these in their rabbit's run?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=683816&Trail=searchtext>RUBBER+TILES

Mine are on concrete and I am so worried that it is freezing their feet and bottoms!:(

I couldn't get your link to work:?, several people have recommended rubber matting (the one used for horses stables etc) I think providing it's flush ie no corners to nibble etc should be alright, can you re-try posting the link at all?

Yes that's grand - the trouble is I'm not sure it's OK or not, if there is enough of a surface to nibble and pull at they most likely will, the equestrian matting is flat and quite hard on the surface but, soft underfoot if you see what I mean, that seems to have a pile? If it's flush and flat should be fine but, if it's got a sort of pile like a carpet I'm not sure tbh - I think a lot of buns have a thing for rubber.:wave:

Yes that's grand - the trouble is I'm not sure it's OK or not, if there is enough of a surface to nibble and pull at they most likely will, the equestrian matting is flat and quite hard on the surface but, soft underfoot if you see what I mean, that seems to have a pile? If it's fl:wave:ush and flat should be fine but, if it's got a sort of pile like a carpet I'm not sure tbh - I think a lot of buns have a thing for rubber.

Noooo! dont say that...I've just ordered a wendy house for my buns and it has a rubber draught strip round the door!!!

Looks like that'll have to come off then :shock:

I have my rabbits housed in a concrete outbuilding, about the same size as a shed, but I worried that they were constantly on the concrete. So I bought these...

Clicky

They are cheap but heavy, and so far, my rabbits haven't moved them or tried to eat them.

Thanks for sorting out the link problem. The tiles don't have a pile and are quite similar to equestrian mats. I didn't know buns had a thing for rubber. I know that they will go inside if cold but can't help worrying. Just been outside in my bathrobe (!) to find my two sitting outside - freezing cold, must be mad (buns I mean and probably me too). I just worry that the instinct to be outside at night might over ride the need to keep warm. Also the weather at the moment is quite mild (!) compared with last year. Need to stop worrying so much.:?

B n Q sell foam interlocking mats which are fab, £12.99 for 4...I have done my whole kennel and run in these and they're so easy to cut or slice with a stanley blade to get a plush tight fit, my buns haven't attempted to nibble them. They're easy to wipe clean too....I also got my OH to make a raised wood floor so the wood isn't getting damp/wet and then I laid these on top....:D

Thanks for sorting out the link problem. The tiles don't have a pile and are quite similar to equestrian mats. I didn't know buns had a thing for rubber. I know that they will go inside if cold but can't help worrying. Just been outside in my bathrobe (!) to find my two sitting outside - freezing cold, must be mad (buns I mean and probably me too). I just worry that the instinct to be outside at night might over ride the need to keep warm. Also the weather at the moment is quite mild (!) compared with last year. Need to stop worrying so much.:?

I'm sure they will be fine, it's not all buns who have a thing for rubber but I have read a few do - so worth being vigilant initially when they are down, i think providing they are flush and not raised at all it will be fine.

Don't worry too much about them sitting out in the cold, mine have an aviary run with shed attached and I also put a shelf and hutch in the run and they choose to sit on the concrete, having said that - I do shut them in the shed at night although quite late because we do have foxes around and although they are safe - it's the shock/fear that worries me, they are also 3+ and I know once they are in the shed they are fine and snuggle up. Cruel to be kind sort of thing.:wave:

B n Q sell foam interlocking mats which are fab, £12.99 for 4...I have done my whole kennel and run in these and they're so easy to cut or slice with a stanley blade to get a plush tight fit, my buns haven't attempted to nibble them. They're easy to wipe clean too....I also got my OH to make a raised wood floor so the wood isn't getting damp/wet and then I laid these on top....:D

Exactly what we have done. They are great :D You can get them from Decathlon or Costco too.

I had these A and E destroyed them within an hour of them being down. I have now put them inside a duvet cover and they have survived 2 weeks now with only a bit of chewing :roll:

I got those cheap rubber backed mats from Morrisons and some old rubber car mats in the outhouse and the buns have never nibbled them. They dont prticularly sit on them either :lol: but i thought it was better than the concrete.

Aldi are selling a large boot tray made of rubber - it holds 4 pairs of adult wellies maybe you could try that if it is cheap enough to ensure your bunnies dont have a penchant for rubber?

I've got two rabbits (Mr. Snuggles and Rapunzel) that seem intent on chewing everything, however I got some matting https://www.esedirect.co.uk/s-313-rubber-matting-flooring.aspx, the thinner 3mm version, and once it was well stuck down, especially in the corners, it is keeping them nice and comfortable.

Hi there Chas and welcome to the Forum :wave:

You've responded to a very old thread there ..
Do feel free to introduce yourself and your wonderfully named rabbits to us when you want to :D

Back