• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My parents have just brought a rabbit home

Wow..... that was random, and a bit naughty :-/ Blinking heck! At least hes safe with you, and if you cant keep him, at least you can rehome him responsibly, unlike that certain pet store......

I am totally confused as I thought your parents had made you put some of your Rabbits up for Rehoming :?

We were moving house a few weeks after Xmas, so my parents said I'd either have to bond them into groups or give them away. They've been moaning and putting pressure on me to have less animals for a while now, so I really don't know why they've been hypocrites and bought a new animal :?

We were moving house a few weeks after Xmas, so my parents said I'd either have to bond them into groups or give them away. They've been moaning and putting pressure on me to have less animals for a while now, so I really don't know why they've been hypocrites and bought a new animal :?

Why not explain that to them. It would be a real shame if your older Rabbits still have to go yet the parents bring home a Baby Rabbit which you keep. How long til the parents say she has to go too :cry:

They thought it would 'Cheer me up' apparently but it's just made me feel even worse!

They got it on special offer from Pets at home :shock::evil: So it probably has jaw/dental issues! I got a Pets at home lop before 5 years ago and he had a deformed jaw and severe dental issues and had to be put to sleep at 18 months old :cry:

I go on at them enough about my views on pet shops selling animals, I've even shown them photographs of the breeding farms these animals are born at.

I don't mean to sound so ungrateful but really this was the last thing I needed right now :(

I understand exactly how you feel! My dad, who hasnt a clue about bunnys did the same thing. He brought home a lovely lion lop, i took care of him for a few weeks, got him his vaccinations etc and eventually found him the best home in the world with another forum member.

I would have kept him, but i just didnt have the money, or the space for another bun and theres no way i could rely on dad to have him neutered and buy him a decent size hutch/run. I obviously ended up being the baddy when i gave him away, my little brother wouldnt talk to me for 2 weeks, yet all of his care was left to me :shock::(

I later found out that he is deaf and a dental bunny :( i felt so guilty, like id passed our problems on to someone else, but i know hes in the best hands and theres no way i could have payed his care. No doubt dad would have had him put down after he suggested i did teh same with Dolly when she needed a dental :evil:

Dad turned up with a puppy a couple of weeks ago :evil:

Last edited:

:shock: I didn't know this Lillian sorry if I appeared flippant, I assumed that if they brought the bun home for you it was because they were being supportive and trying to cheer you up. That is very confusing:?

I understand exactly how you feel! My dad, who hasnt a clue about bunnys did the same thing. He brought home a lovely lion lop, i took care of him for a few weeks, got him his vaccinations etc and eventually found him the best home in the world with another forum member.

I would have kept him, but i just didnt have the money, or the space for another bun and theres no way i could rely on dad to have him neutered and buy him a decent size hutch/run. I obviously ended up being the baddy when i gave him away, my little brother wouldnt talk to me for 2 weeks, yet all of his care was left to me :shock::(

I later found out that he is deaf and a dental bunny :( i felt so guilty, like id passed our problems on to someone else, but i know hes in the best hands and theres no way i could have payed his care. No doubt dad would have had him put down after he suggested i did teh same with Dolly when she needed a dental :evil:

Dad turned up with a puppy a couple of weeks ago :evil:

Don't feel guilty :wave: I think I was meant to have Clarence. He is such a character and I can't remember what it was like not having him here!!! Looks a bit odd at the moment as one of the guinea pigs has nibbled off his little mane :lol:

Lovely bunny Lilian :love:

The house they were downsizing to (the reason they wanted less animals) has fallen through again, so they don't have an issue with the animals now and I've got a second income. With the rocky relationship we have I can't ask them to return the rabbit, they'd never forgive me for that. It's not ideal and it's not what I wanted but I'm dealing with it. She's been vaccinated and has panacur.

I hate feeling so guilty and feeling like the tiny, if any, respect I might of had on here has been dashed by an event beyond my control. I am trying to do my best. Unfortunately I don't have parents who see things the way, I, or most people on RU do but I have to live with them and I'm not going to give them anymore reasons to hate me. Anyway I just want to forget the entire event now, should have just kept my mouth shut this time.

RampantRabbits I'm sorry you had a similar and difficult situation to deal with too.

Give the little one much love, she hasn't any guilt in this, and a cuddle from me.
Who knows, maybe in time she will give you lots of love and you won't regret having kept her.

The house they were downsizing to (the reason they wanted less animals) has fallen through again, so they don't have an issue with the animals now and I've got a second income. With the rocky relationship we have I can't ask them to return the rabbit, they'd never forgive me for that. It's not ideal and it's not what I wanted but I'm dealing with it. She's been vaccinated and has panacur.

I hate feeling so guilty and feeling like the tiny, if any, respect I might of had on here has been dashed by an event beyond my control. I am trying to do my best. Unfortunately I don't have parents who see things the way, I, or most people on RU do but I have to live with them and I'm not going to give them anymore reasons to hate me. Anyway I just want to forget the entire event now, should have just kept my mouth shut this time.

RampantRabbits I'm sorry you had a similar and difficult situation to deal with too.

Isn't it about respecting someone's beliefs though? Like if my mum gave me a hamburger?? Nothing wrong with sticking up with what you believe in.

I'd tell them to take it back & give them a list of reasons why so they don't "help" again

Give the little one much love, she hasn't any guilt in this, and a cuddle from me.
Who knows, maybe in time she will give you lots of love and you won't regret having kept her.

I agree it isnt the rabbits fault.. atleast she has a good life to look forward too! Never know where she could have ended up..
good luck:)

Last edited:
Aww, hon. that sounds like something my parents would do, i'm sure they only meant good things.

good luck with the bun :) x

I am getting help with bonding but it can't done for a while.

My parents thought I could put it with Roo, which I can't as

1) It's female - Bonding two females is a nightmare
2) Roo's has to remain alone until December 17th

I'm not sure what to do, my parents are at the end of their tether with me and I don't want to push them over the edge by telling them to take it back.
But I'm not sure what I can do with it, I don't have any males I could bond it with.

Ive bonded a few females and they have taken less than a day to bond :)
Your new rabbit wont be able to bond with roo till after its spay at 6 months so roo not being able to bond until december 17th is ideal :)
Its not an ideal situation but im sure you will come to love her. I dont think animals should be given as presents but shes here now :)

Don't feel guilty :wave: I think I was meant to have Clarence. He is such a character and I can't remember what it was like not having him here!!! Looks a bit odd at the moment as one of the guinea pigs has nibbled off his little mane :lol:

Lovely bunny Lilian :love:

:lol: He wont mix with other rabbits, but loves guinea pigs!! :lol::lol: Funny Bunny. :love:

Back