• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my dustfreehay delivery just arrived...*got next lot*

Thats awful. I would feel pretty upset if that happened to me too. Maybe ask your OH to check your email and see what they say. I think writing it all down in a point by point basis is a really good idea. That way you will get to say everything you need/want to without forgetting something. If you can't face it then give it to you OH so he can use it when he calls. I don't believe any company would want to lose your custom - £80 plus a month is a lot of money to spend especially now.

Sorry only just found this thread. Surely if they advertise a bale of hay the product delivered should be of a certain standard, and if it isnt, they should take it back and replace/refund. You wouldnt accept a pack of biscuits that are a bit on the stale side so why should you have to accept hay thats got wet. The mould issue is only one issue, the damp and cold of the hay is bad for the animals that I would assume lay on as well as eat the hay. I wouldnt want my piggles or bunny laying on damp hay. Plus, putting it in a warmer place is a fire risk, outer dry layers plus warming internal water can cause fire. I dont know the company, and have never had my hay packaged (we grow and store our own meadow hay so all I buy is treat stuff unless we run out and 600 bales ish is a lot to use!). I would be fuming at it. Damp when it got to them DAYS after delivering to you??? how is that not a sign that it was very wet when delivered???

that's the bit that got to me, of course it wasn't going to still be wet after days! and the fact it did feel damp then means it must have been wet to start with!! i thought that would be common sense to work that out.

i didn't think of a fire risk, you just think of the mould and dampness don't you.

Thats awful. I would feel pretty upset if that happened to me too. Maybe ask your OH to check your email and see what they say. I think writing it all down in a point by point basis is a really good idea. That way you will get to say everything you need/want to without forgetting something. If you can't face it then give it to you OH so he can use it when he calls. I don't believe any company would want to lose your custom - £80 plus a month is a lot of money to spend especially now.

we just checked the email and haven't had a reply! i'm hoping he is going to be in touch with the delivery company to sort it out and then get back to me. i hope so.

like you say, he would lose more money if i went elsewhere, rather than worst case losing the delivery fee compensation from the delivery company. which would be around £12 ish i think... so he would make that back quickly, and although it isn't ideal, it isn't alot over the course of say a year of business or something..

the way i see it, is maybe he is trying to cut costs lately, and maybe has had a few people mentioning the fact the bales are smaller etc.. i know alot of people have noticed this. and the price is the same, and the bales much smaller, so don't last as long..

i do spend alot on hay, and i don't mind doing that if that is what my pets need, but it just upsets me as there was nothing to gain from me sending it back.. it's not like i kept the original lot and got a replacement... :?

anyway, hopefully i will hear back tomorrow, and me and dan have talked through it all and he will ring aswell if we need to.

i don't like things like this because i liked the company and i like the hay for the pets.

i thought of another time i did email them. it was when one of the sacks arrived already open and i said i couldn't use it as i didn't know how long it had been open and where it had been etc.. i got refunded for that one bag, £3.99.. maybe he is referring to that and thinks i was trying to get a free bag :? which is silly really as why would i spend £80 and then be bothered about getting £3.99 back :roll:

x

I'd phone him. I've known norman for a few years and am certain that the last thing he'd want is his reputation in tatters on a rabbit forum. Going by my experience and what i've seen the hay would only have got wet in transit. Norman won't even put sacks on a damp floor whilst loading my car for me-so i'm certain he wouldn't have intentionally sent out a bad bale. Unfortubuely it's these freak issues that break small businesses-as i'd have given the chance to rectify and if I wasn't happy with the response then i'd complain on the world wide web. He does value every bunny customer and prides himself on selling quality hay. I don't like many people and can sense a money grabbing fool a mile off-he really does care. I'm sure he'll sort this out for you when he's got time-last I heard he had a machine issue meaning he had several hundred bales to catch up on for a large customer. He's a lovely guy so wouldn't worry about calling him. :)

I'd phone him. I've known norman for a few years and am certain that the last thing he'd want is his reputation in tatters on a rabbit forum. Going by my experience and what i've seen the hay would only have got wet in transit. Norman won't even put sacks on a damp floor whilst loading my car for me-so i'm certain he wouldn't have intentionally sent out a bad bale. Unfortubuely it's these freak issues that break small businesses-as i'd have given the chance to rectify and if I wasn't happy with the response then i'd complain on the world wide web. He does value every bunny customer and prides himself on selling quality hay. I don't like many people and can sense a money grabbing fool a mile off-he really does care. I'm sure he'll sort this out for you when he's got time-last I heard he had a machine issue meaning he had several hundred bales to catch up on for a large customer. He's a lovely guy so wouldn't worry about calling him. :)

yeh, the hay was dry when he sent it, and wet when it arrived to me. i know it's the delivery company, it's obvious. it was a day late anyway, it had been raining all the time here, and on the tracking page, it kept saying it had been loaded on and off the van for delivery so i am sure they have let it get wet in the rain. the delivery company person went to check the returned hay and told norman there was nothing wrong with it so wouldn't be giving him compensation for the damaged hay. but it isn't my fault either. and norman has said i am unjustified in this complaint. which is untrue.

i like the company and norman is nice. he's always been nice with me in the past.

i can't use the phone so when i get a reply via email dan will ring him. :)

Last edited:
hmmm.... not even had a reply to my email.. :? what do i do now? just wait and see if the delivery company try contacting me.

or wait and see if my order gets rejected next time! :oops:

your going to order from there again :shock:

well i'm going to order some sample hay from willow warren and try that, and try the petshop version of dustfreehay aswell, but if they aren't ok for them then i will be ordering again yes. :oops: i have to think of the buns respiratory problems and this hay is great for them. lets hope they still accept my orders, and don't send me one bale for the price of ten to cover the postage and delivery compnay costs! :shock:

i'm hoping they won't want to lose my custom, it's alot of money i spend there. :)

i've just had to order my next lot of hay. they go through it so quickly. i hope they accept my order. :oops: never did hear anything back.. and the delivery company haven't contacted either.. so we haven't mentioned anything either.

here's hoping i don't receive one bag of hay instead of ten! :shock:

got my next lot of hay today, and this time, every inch is wrapped in cellophane (sp) and has three of the long cable ties round aswell. and the delivery man carried it all the way to the door from the car, when usually they put it on the floor!

so i'm glad this time that everything is fine. :)

got my next lot of hay today, and this time, every inch is wrapped in cellophane (sp) and has three of the long cable ties round aswell. and the delivery man carried it all the way to the door from the car, when usually they put it on the floor!

Sounds like everyone was under strict instructions this time! :lol: It's a good thing, sometimes a constructive complaint can help companies to give a better service. So glad it's all ok. You've got lots of lovely hay now :D

Did you get a refund for the damp hay?

Back