• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Depocillin - Dosage?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Could anyone tell me the recommended dosage for the above please?

E.g how often should they have it?

Ta.

Its usually 0.25mls for bun under 2.5kgs and 0.5mls for buns over 2.5kgs. A more accurate dosage would probably be 0.2mls per kg.

Its normally given every other day, but can be given more/less frequently.

Thistle had Depocillin when he had syphilis. I can't for the life of me remember the dose, but even if I did know, it'd be no good to you because he's a great fat lump and needed loads! :roll::lol:

Is this for Ginger's nose? Still no better? :(

Thanks abbymarysmokey :)

And yes georgie for ginger's nose :( still very runny apart from today when biccy cleaned it all up :roll: vet said baytril hadn't helped.

I've been told by vet a 0.25ml of depocillin once a week for 3 weeks (ginger weighs 1.23kg) but I have concerns that is not enough? But I did not want to doubt my vet without evidence and only want what's best for gingypops :cry:

Vet checked her teeth and said there is a small spur on one of her teeth in the side she had a runny eye a few weeks back so I'm just waiting for a call for her to b xrayed in case this is all her little teefs but their xray is borked so I have got to take her to another branch 45 Monz away.

She's fine in herself though eating drinking popping weeing and running around. Just really worriee about her.

Biccy just grooms it all to keep her clean bless.

Not sure of the dosage as when Frankie has his they weigh him first. He had it every three days but it does really depend. Sending vibes for your poorly bunny.

Worth asking the vet about ciprofloxacin eye drops (can have it nasally and topically to the eyes). Fewer side effects than oral or injectables. Do you have a probiotic? Everyone on here uses something different but definitely worse getting hold of something if you're looking at many weeks of antibiotics. Good luck xxxx

Joejoe had an injection of depocillin every other day for a week then once a week for a couple of months and it completely cleared up the abscess behind his eye . Hope Gingers better soon :wave:

Back