• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

After neuter, how long before he can go outside?

adorabun

Young Bun
Hey guys!

Looking for some advice, how long do you think I need to keep my little guy indoors after his neuter? His operation was last Thursday, his incision sites are healing well with no swelling/ infection and stitches are fully intact.

He's getting bored being stuck inside, and has been showing less interest in his food and toys. He doesn't seem to act out when he's bored, he just becomes less active and sleeps a lot. I was worried he might be in stasis last night, but after offering him some fresh grass and herbs from the garden, this morning he pooped and peed like a trooper. I think the lack of activity and stimulation indoors might be affecting his appetite and digestion, which worries me.

It's a beautiful sunny afternoon, and we've had no rain in a couple of days, so the grass is nice and dry. Do you think it'd be ok to put him out in his run for an hour or so?

Thanks for your help!

:wave:

I kept Rodge in for 24 hours after his op & then he was let out to do his usual run around the garden. I checked his stitches every couple of hours but he was fine. :D

I double checked with my vet first & she was all for it! :wave:

Woot! I rang the vet earlier, but he was in emergency surgery and they said he'd call me back later. I was thinking this sun wouldn't last much longer so I'd check with you knowledgeable guys too. Thanks so much! Any other advice is appreciated :)

Thanks guys! Just brought him in. He LOVED it, binkies and charging all about! He really wore himself out, now he's flopped in his crate :love: Begone stasis!

Back