• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I get my Bun to eat more hay?

amyenb

Young Bun
Hi Everyone,

How can I encourage my bun to eat more hay?

At the moment she doesn't really eat as much as what it seems most people's buns on here eat. I know the general amount they should eat per day is the size of their body.

Poko only eats a small handful if that.. She has a small amount of pellets which she grazes on and then she gets herbs and veges through out the day.
She definitely loves eating her herbs and veges so I thought maybe she was just being fussy but I know that for their teeth and gut they need to eat hay and I'm concerned that she's not eating enough of it.

I've tried cutting down her pellets and her veges but then I feel guilty as she will run into the fridge and want me to give her herbs etc and if I don't give her anything and try to entice her with more hay she will barely eat any of it regardless.

I have tried a few different hays and I usually buy the oxbow brand.

I give a fresh handful to her every day - I have tried leaving out more but I feel like I am just wasting it as it doesnt get eaten.

Her poo's and wee's are frequent and all seem normal so I don't think it is a problem with her gut.

Any suggestions?

It does sound like she is getting too much other stuff like pelletts and veg. I know its hard when she runs to the fridge but if you offer her hay when she does this most buns will eventually eat it. Its like us if we have the choice of just eating tatsy food all the time and not food thats good for us we would.

If she is full from veg she wont need to eat hay so less veg should = more hay eating. I found with my girls when I first got them that getting a friend that eats hay also helped

It does sound like she is getting too much other stuff like pelletts and veg. I know its hard when she runs to the fridge but if you offer her hay when she does this most buns will eventually eat it. Its like us if we have the choice of just eating tatsy food all the time and not food thats good for us we would.

If she is full from veg she wont need to eat hay so less veg should = more hay eating. I found with my girls when I first got them that getting a friend that eats hay also helped

Thanks!
I guess I shall just have to be tough. I just get a bit paranoid as she is very stubborn and fussy lol and I wouldn't want her to starve!

You have to be tough i'm afraid. Whenever I bring my lunch into the sitting room and sit down to eat it both my bunnies beg me constantly for food.... I put my feet up and ignore them and within a minute they are both chomping their hay out of their tray and basket. Buns are highly manipulative... you have to be strong. As long as she is able to eat hay? No dental issues? Then she will not starve and will learn to eat it when she is hungry. :):wave:

I would also try a few new hays out if you can, buns can be quite fussy about hay. My two really only like their West Wales Willows hay and Oxbow occasionally, or the Burns green Oat hay. Anything else gets a turned up nose. Do make sure your bun doesn't have spurs or dental issues with your vet first just in case eating hay is painful - this does happen with dental problems.

I've got the same problem after 5 months of being a bunny mummy! Spenser eats his hay better now, but not as much as she should. It doesn't help that my mother (I live with my parents) thinks I am starving him and frequently advocates extra pellets. If you haven't already tried it, The Hay Experts sample pack is a good way of offering different hays without spending a fortune. I have to admit, though, that Spenser shows a distinct preference for eating his straw and bedding hay! :roll::roll:

I have to admit, though, that Spenser shows a distinct preference for eating his straw and bedding hay! :roll::roll:

Haha yes Poko eats her straw bedding too!

Do make sure your bun doesn't have spurs or dental issues with your vet first just in case eating hay is painful - this does happen with dental problems.

Whenever she goes to the vet for a check up they always check her teeth and they are healthy and in great condition :) I think she is just being fussy and addictive to eating herbs haha - I shall try a few different hays.

Apart from Timothy hay, Oxbow Australia now have Orchard grass as well as botanical hay. I don't buy the botanical as I have lots of dried herbs to make my own.

The meadow hay from pet shops at the moment is not very good quality but I have been able to get some green Oaten hay in Sydney which is very popular with my four buns. I blend all hays together to give them variety.

Apart from Timothy hay, Oxbow Australia now have Orchard grass as well as botanical hay. I don't buy the botanical as I have lots of dried herbs to make my own.

The meadow hay from pet shops at the moment is not very good quality but I have been able to get some green Oaten hay in Sydney which is very popular with my four buns. I blend all hays together to give them variety.

Yeah I buy the oxbow timothy, orchard and botanical ones. They are quite expensive though and seeing that she's not eating much of it - its such a waste.

Can I ask where you get the green oaten hay from?

I don't really trust pet shops for hay as I often wonder how fresh it is - I get the oxbox hay from the vets.

I get the green oaten from a pet shop right across the road from the RSPCA in Yagoona. I think it is called Pet Care 2000 and is more like a warehouse.

I use this shop because they do not sell pets, only pet food and accessories. The Timothy now is available in a 4Kg box which is a lot cheaper, well it is from my vet anyway.

My buns usually eat Devonshire meadow hay as that is all that my local agricultural merchants sell. The last bag I bought smelt horrible. Some of the rabbits have eaten it but I dont know what can be wrong with it. So, I went and bought some timothy hay today but they dont seem to be very keen on that.

Back