• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

unlimited?

loulabell

Warren Scout
your gonna think im really stupid now! :?
i've got baby rabbits (rescued) their on ss junior pellets,
all the reading i've done on feeding babies says feed unlimted pellets.
does this meen make sure the bowl is always full or dont measure them out ie. egg cup?
the problem i have is thay are still with mum cos im hoping to keep them all together as a group, mum is still eating junior pellets even though she is not pregnant and no longer feeding the babies.
the babies are 9 weeks old.

Have the babies been sexed by a vet? It's very important that if either or both of them are boys, they are removed, or you could end up with rather more rabbits than you bargined for!

They do say to give unlimited pellets to babies, until they're 6 months old. However, you want to encourage them to eat all the grass and hay that they can, to keep their teeth and tummies healthy, and if you give them too many pellets they won't be hungry enough to want to graze. Maybe you could seperate mum from the others for one of 2 short periods each day. That way, mum can have her veggies (kits are too young for these yet) and they can have their extra pellets without her wolfing them.

Now, hurry up and post piccies! :D

hi thanks for reply, me and my friend keep checking there sex but theres nothing to see! thay are only just 9 weeks so it may still be to early to tell? the vet did say she would have a look when i take them for mixi jab next week. (def dont want any more babies)
the babies are fab hay eaters! mum dosent eat any! thay get time on the grass every day, so im not worried about that its just i dont want them to be over weight because thay were over fed.
Theres only 3 babies and im worried if only 1 turnes out to be a boy hes going to have to be on his own for a short time :cry:

I would not feed unlimited pellets to any rabbit as this does not encourage them to eat hay and gets them into bad habbits for the future, making them more prone to dental and GI problems.

In the wild rabbits do not eat pellets and survive well on hay and grasses.

This thread was started by Cheryl who used to run Sprowston Rescue and explains things better. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=88586&highlight=unlimited

thank you for link its very helpfull! i dont think i've done to much damage as my babies eat hay when there are still pellets in the bowl, its the mum that wont eat hay. :?

If the mum wont eat hay, I would suggest slowly decreasing the pellets so that she will slowly increase her hay consumption. Introducing fancy hays may help if you are feeding 'normal hays'.

Back