Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding Does Living Together

New Kit

Default Breeding Does Living Together

Hi there

I've been keeping rabbits for a while now - specifically two New Zealand white, unspayed doe sisters - and I have decided to breed from them. Now, these girls have been living together quite happily, but I'm unsure what to expect of them when they become pregnant. Is it just a case of keeping an eye, and if they start to fight then separate them? Are they even likely to fight?

Basically I've no experience of the difference being pregnant makes to rabbits (though I have huge experience with the change in my wife's moods when pregnant ) Your wise counsel would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps - the does live together, sharing a nesting area (though there's room for another easily), an indoor play area, and a large outside run. They're both well-tempered and, as I say, have grown up together.

Thanks

Troyster

When you say you've been keeping rabbits for a while do you mean you have had just these two doe's ? It doesn't say how old they are?

Human liberation will begin when we understand that our evolution and fulfilment are contingent on the recognition of animal rights and on a compassionate and responsible stewardship of nature.
    Dr Michael W.Fox (1937 - )♥

http://www.peta.org.uk/

New Kit

Hi - good point. At present I only have the two does. They're ten months old, and are large girls! I am thinking of buying a Californian buck (kept in a completely different area) to breed with them, but I want to be sure I know what to expect before I do anything.

I know of a few people who succesfully keep a doe with a litter with a doe who dosent have a litter, and even one who (accidentally i may add) had 2 does each with a litter living together.

It seems to vary between rabbits though, and i wouldnt want to be in the position were one took a dislike to her sisters kits.

It's possible, but there's always a risk. Rabbits often got very hormal when pregnant, and she could turn on her hutch mate, if not the hutch mate could easily harm the babies. Then again I've heard of it being done, with the non-pregnant one even helping to nest build.

Just so you know, the forum is extremely anti breeding
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

New Kit

I had noticed a slight slant in that direction, though hadn't realised it was extreme. I'm guessing that's because the RSPCA end up with so many unwanted baby rabbits. . . or that they get palmed off onto irresponsible owners - both things that I'm very eager to avoid!

If it makes anyone feel happier, I breed goats as well

As it sounds like such an 'unknown quantity', it may be worth taking one of the does to visit a friendly buck before I think about buying one myself.

Any other thoughts?

What are you breeding for?, do you know if they are show standered?

Quote Originally Posted by troyster View Post
    I had noticed a slight slant in that direction, though hadn't realised it was extreme. I'm guessing that's because the RSPCA end up with so many unwanted baby rabbits. . . or that they get palmed off onto irresponsible owners - both things that I'm very eager to avoid!

If it makes anyone feel happier, I breed goats as well

As it sounds like such an 'unknown quantity', it may be worth taking one of the does to visit a friendly buck before I think about buying one myself.

Any other thoughts?
    I think Demismith being that she is a moderator on another forum could have worded that better by saying that this a 'rescue' orientated forum rather than saying extremely anti breeding which sounds negative for the sake of it.

Your right in your interpretations there are lots of rescues overflowing atm with buns awaiting homes and no shortages in the pet shops, am I naive assuming your breeding for pets rather than meat? The same applies to your goats - why are you breeding them?

Whichever way you look at it, the law as it stands is impotent in terms of protecting animals from anyone deciding to 'breed' them regardless of finances, accomodation, time, knowledge etc so it's a fact that we all have to live with until the law catches up with the fact that as a civilised society there has to be legislation applied, in an ideal world we could trust people to use common sense, compassion and logic before embarking on the 'breeding' bandwagon - sadly it's been proven this isn't working - no disrespect to you intended but, time after time people 'choose' to do this without really considering the animals welfare - it is actually at the bottom of the list of priorities.

I don't know why you've decided to do it but, you must think carefully because at best you will have a large number of healthy rabbits and your doe alive - at worst you will lose your doe and maybe some kits.

There are forums specifically for breeders, if your breeding for meat purposes then I think perhaps you will honestly get want you want from them.

Human liberation will begin when we understand that our evolution and fulfilment are contingent on the recognition of animal rights and on a compassionate and responsible stewardship of nature.
    Dr Michael W.Fox (1937 - )♥

http://www.peta.org.uk/

Firstly welcome to the forum!
    There are a lot of rescues on this forum, who have to deal with the consequences of accidental and irresponsible breeding (not saying that you are one of those!) but the forum is rescue biased.
    I can't help you with the answers to your questions, I'm afraid, but will ask why you are wanting to breed them? (in an interested, not accusatory, way!)

Binky free Squidgy, Salt, Pepper, Ruby, Nougat, Patch, Bobby and Flopsy. Hope you are all having fun at the bridge.

New Kit

Tentatively I reply 'to eat'. The same reason I breed my goats (and keep pigs occasionally).

I don't like to eat meat from the supermarket, as I don't know what standard of welfare has been employed - or rather, having seen a few farms, I do! All the meat that my family eat is produced in house, or at least on the premises, and I can ensure that my animals are all looked after well and enjoy their lives.

While I'm picking up the vibe that most on this forum keep rabbits as pets only, which is great, I would rather have advice from you guys that from rabbit farmers. I visited a rabbit farm a few years ago and was HORRIFIED at the living conditions!