Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leptospirosis

Default Leptospirosis

My Hubby is being tested and treated for this after falling unwell following coming into contact with rats at work. He's advised his employeer that the other staff may need to take extra precautions, wear gloves etc. It seems they are trying to blame it on my rabbits. I am primary care giver and in top health. Does anyone have any info on this in rabbits?
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

I believe there are very few, if any, diseases that can cross from rabbits to animals.

Latest photos and videos -> Mischa / Mini / Nutmeg / Smudge
    HOUSING STICKIES -> INDOOR / OUTDOOR RUNNING TOTAL -> 2014

It seems unlikely. On the fancy rat forum when the question was asked, even though rats are main carriers there has not been a case of a domestic pet rat being a carrier. I think it is possible for you to have had it though and have no symptoms.

If they did have it could it cause them any harm?
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

I think leptospirosis is a rat-borne disease and is not carried by rabbits, sounds like an excuse to me! How did he come into contact with rats at work, is that a normal occurrence?

It sounds as if they are a bit twitchy because I think they legally have to notify the HSE if an employee contracts leptospirosis and they know they may get into trouble for not protecting their employees adequately.
    Rabbits are cheap and easy pets to look after badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I think leptospirosis is a rat-borne disease and is not carried by rabbits, sounds like an excuse to me! How did he come into contact with rats at work, is that a normal occurrence?

It sounds as if they are a bit twitchy because I think they legally have to notify the HSE if an employee contracts leptospirosis and they know they may get into trouble for not protecting their employees adequately.
    Absolutely I agree. Failure to provide safe working conditions - employment law minefield and one they could get into a lot of trouble for if your husband got poorly due to their negligence and failure of duty of care. Sounds like they are trying to pass the buck to me.

Nino, my dearest little friend, i'll never forget you x

Welcome to Mini, the new addition to our family! Follow his antics at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/365073660256697/

Hi

this site has lots of useful information:

http://www.leptospirosis.org/topic.php?t=45

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis

Sounds like the most likely cause would be contact with contaminated water.

What does your partner do for a living? I hope he gets better soon. x

as far as I know this is not a disease rabbits carry - why not contact a vet and ask?

Rats are carriers and especially through rat contaminated stale water (ie puddles that rats have peed in)

Employers should warn their employees against any possible contact with contaminated water - my OH carries a card with warnings and symptoms on it given to him by his employer (he is in the Environment Agency so deals with waterside sites). Professions like archaeologist are also given warning cards and H&S talks including this.
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

From having read a bit about it on the site I posted it sounds like a rabbit could theoretically catch it in the same manner as a human (see wiki entry rabbits can be intermediate carriers as can birds, dogs etc.) I.e. from coming into contact with water contaminated with rat or cattle urine. It could then, again theoretically, pass that on to a human, in the same manner. So highly unlikely that your husband caught it this way! Its much more likely that he caught it directly from a contaminated water source or direct contact with rat urine. cattle are also another source of infection in the UK. If he knows he's been in contact with rats or cattle then it doesnt take Sherlock Holmes to work out where he got it from!

It is a notifiable disease as well looking on the HPA website:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Infecti...alInformation/

Warren Scout

I was reading about this last night, on a link Jane posted yesterday. I didnt save the link, and cant remember where she posted it, but it said that although wild rabbits are an important reservoir for lepto, there are no recorded cases of it in domestic rabbits.