• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong - U/D

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Skye is snuffly again :(

She was sneezing a bit more than usual this week but today her nose is wet too.

So in the year I've had her, she's had a bout of stasis, an ear infection, and now two resp infections. I feel like I'm killing her :(

Going to go to the vet tomorrow. My usual vet is very reluctant to prescribe anything except Baytril so I'm going to be naughty and take her to a different one. Wish us luck :(

Last edited:
You are not doing anything wrong. Some bunnies are just prone to snuffles. What about using echinecia I use this for Merlin in his water and touchwood he hasn't really had any bouts since I got him. Unfortunately he has pasturella so is prone to it. Good luck at the vets and I hope you can get some answers. They may want to do nasal swabs to find out the bacteria to treat.

You're not doing anything wrong. You're doing all the right things and making sure she gets the treatment she needs.

Some bunnies are more vulnerable or have lower immune systems than others.

I wonder if maybe all bar the stasis (although even possibly that), could comehow be related, especially both the resp infections. Maybe whatever is going on for her is not being beaten completely and so is going doormant and then rearing its head when triggered to do so?

You're a great bunny mum, lots of bunnies would not get the treatment she is getting from you, lots of bunnies have mums and dads who miss the symptoms. She's lucky :)

Thanks guys :) I just love them so much and I don't understand why they constantly get ill.

Skye is going to the special vet tomorrow morning. We have taken snuffly rescue buns to this vet before and had success treating them with Ceporex so hopefully that or something similar will work for Skye. I am having a bit of an awkward time with work as I've now had SO much time off for vets' and dentists' and human doctors' appointments that they're getting annoyed but my lovely friend is taking Skye for me so that's ok :)

Poor Skye I hope the vet can help you tomorrow.

We had a similar bun, Sweep, the slightest thing could "upset" him like someone else coming in to feed him while we were out and he'd get snuffly. He always responded to Baytril though he hated it of course. I didn't know about Echinacea in those days but if I did I would certainly have given it a try.

Took her to the vet today and he has put her on a higher dose of baytril for now saying that my previous vet had severely underdosed her.

He doesn't want her on anything stronger yet but we will go back in a week if it's not cleared up.

Am satisfied with this, obviously I don't want her on strong abx unless it's appropriate, just want to know that the vet is willing to consider all options. I always wonder if Sorrel would have had more time with me if she'd been on more appropriate abx. :( :(

Back