Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the stairs?

Default the stairs?

does your rabbit know how to run up them, im only asking because all my rabbits have managed them ie thumper,mitzi, mowgli and rosie, however locksley doesn't know what to do either that or thinks its too much like hard work, soo doesn't bother

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Bunny does - she loves it. Belle hasn't ever tried - she's more interested in going into the kitchen! Mind you, I don't think she'd manage it if she did try - she's not the brightest crayon in the packet, bless her!
    Emma

RIP Hammy, my lovely little boy x (16th July 2010)

yeah Sooty knows how to, he bounds up them quicker than I can, even takes them on two at a time somtimes and he's only a little mini-lop! I never taught or encuraged him to do it, just couldn't find him one day and eventually noticed the little sat at the top of the stairs watching me running round like a mad woman shouting him!

Yup, all mine can go up. Although Mini's the only one who can confidently go down them. Mischa tries but sometimes falls so we have a gate there.

Warren Scout

Loki learnt how to go up stairs when we moved him outside and he had to come up them to get back inside. Doesn't bother much with the inside ones though unless he spots a cat scurrying up there.

Wise Old Thumper

Apache can go up and down. Sorrel could do both but it took a lot longer to learn to go down than up.

Poor Skye can go up but never learnt to go down - it's lucky I live in a bungalow now!

Sleep tight Apache, everyone who met you was happier for it.

Hi, some of mine figured it out quickly, others took longer. Some can do it but choose not to. One sneaks up when she thinks no-one will notice.

Aren't they funny?

aka toffee pudding & chocolate pudding

Yep both of mine can. Truffle runs down SCARILY fast - looks more like she's sliding down than running down! We didn't teach them either - they just did it.
    esupi.

Poppy could go up and down first time she tried, and at speed. Nino has always struggled with both - partly due to his arthritis and partly I think due to the length of the foreleg.

I think that a shorter foreleg breed (dutch, nethie) compared to a dwarf like Poppy who has very long legs makes all the difference. If your forelegs are long enough you can stretch down and touch the step below whilst keeping your back legs and bum on the stair above - gives security and bun feels able to hop down. For a bun with short forelegs (like Nino and his stumps! ) he has to trust completely that when he drops on to his forelegs going down his back feet lift off the step above - takes a lot more learning and trust. In fact it took us two weeks almost to teach him how to do it by holding his bum and back legs for him whilst he dropped down the step with his front legs. He can now do it at relatively good speed like Poppy but he still has to drop and 'trust' that he won't fall when he goes.

Milly will go up one step at a time, stopping to sniff each one on the way, but she can't get down without falling so we tend not to let her on them unsupervised.