• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What pellets are best for Bob?

Bob usually has the Pets at home brand pellets, but i want to swap him slowly to something more nutritious as he never eats much hay. ( I am constantly trying him with different types of fresh hay, and sprinkle it all around his hutch, and in with his pellets and veg, so i think he may eat some.

Anyway, I was thinking about oxbow? excel? Science selective.

He is completely healthy, but i think he has lost a little weight recently. But he has recently been moulting and so lost a lot of fluff so maybe thats me being a paranoid mummy haha

Would really appreciate some help
Thankyou xxxx

we use excel

We use excel, but many on here prefer Science Selective. If you hide the pellets in the hay so they have to forage for them it may help with the hay-eating.

This is what i do! He just picks them out! lol! Thats why i think that he must get some hay. I also give him hay with dandilions in, and he LOVES the dandilions, so eats them out of it, so must get some.

I need to think of more sneaky ways lol!
Thankyou

I *think* P@H pellets are actually made by the same people that make Excel, so are pretty much the same thing.

Science Selective pellets are good, I'm using them now although they're quite pricey. I was using the Wagg pellets which I also found were good - and much cheaper and easier to get hold of. I got SS once to try it and found the buns liked them much more than the Wagg ones. :roll: I've never tried Oxbow pellets as they'd just be too expensive with seven rabbits.

If Bob's not eating much hay, then it'd be best to get him pellets with the highest fibre content. SS is 19% fibre which is the highest I've used, although I think Oxbow is a bit higher still.

Hay wise, have you tried Readi-grass? My bunnies all love it!

Thankyou, i went to range (thanks to seeing on another thread that they sell SS in there) and bought some.

I will try him with it tomorrow, just a little bit in with his pets at home food at first.
I also went to asda and got some mint and parsley for him :D:D

Lets hope he likes it!

It was (if i can remember properly) 350g for £1.40, which isnt as bad as i expected. I think i will definatley be switching him to this if he gets on with it okay!

If not, i will try Oxbow.

And with the Readigrass, I havent tried him with it, but he loves fresh grass. I will have a look around for some.

Thankyou xx

Okay i gave bob a little bit of SS with his normal pets at home pellets tonigt and he LOVED IT! He was even more keen to eat the SS than his vegetables!

yummy! :) I am so pleased. I am going to start slowly changing his pellets to completely SS xxx

Back