• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lady stink bottom!!

Ladygarden

Young Bun
Hello,

Well, not so much a lady with this smell!! Hoping someone can say this is normal....

Got 2 buns, not yet bonded as she is waiting to be neutered at beg of Sept. She has been on gradual adult diet for last 3 weeks (step up in Excel from her baby food), she's 5 months now. They both have same good now, curly kale or spring greens in morning, handful of pellets and fresh hay and grass whenever she wants. Last 2 weeks I've noticed she bottom puffs like a trouper and her poo is soooo evil! It's like his poop x 10! They are both house buns and have their own free range space. She has been a very clean girl up until last week and now when she visits me she poops on me. I know this as territorial behaviour and def thing it's her hormones kicking in. Her poop are healthy apart from smell, but just want to see if this is normal for girls and hormones.....

Any help appreciated.

:lol: Sorry shouldnt laugh but... :lol:

This is not a educated guess but could it be the type of veg she is eating, some veg such as cabbage/sprouts/broccoli can cause gas?

Laugh away Rachylou, it's like living with 2 teenagers!! :lol:

My Dad popped in yesterday and even he gagged at the smell! Problem is, she's in the lounge in a puppy pen, so basically it's the first and last smell you experience.....

I was hoping that as he eats it by the bucket load and loves it that she'd be OK, but then again I suppose every bun is different. She's eaten it from 9 weeks and no effect it's just been in last 2 weeks! Possibly a combination of adult food and veg that her tum has got to get used to.

I have to keep checking to make sure my brother hasn't moved in :lol:

When I take animals in for bonding I can always tell the once that are on excel, they usually are smellier than the higher fibre foods such as SS, A&P or Oxbow.

If your finding it too smelly, try gradually weaning them over to one of the better higher fibre foods.

Thanks Janice, so is Excel not that good for them? Thought I was giving them the best, just shows you how seduced you can be by brand name. Do they do they other ones in most pet shops or can you recommend somewhere online?

I'll start to gradually change her over to something else and see if that helps. I've noticed she's being very greedy too and she will eat until everythings gone in one sitting, my boy eats when he can be bothered and handful of pellets last a couple of days.

My bunny vet did warn me that girls and boys were very very different and couldn't be more true, he's so laid back you'd think he'd just come back from a fortnight in Ibiza, loves a hug and adores his greens, she's just a little madam..........

Love them to bits (with a swish of air freshner!) :lol:

When I asked opinions on food it sounded like Oxbow was the way to go, quite pricey but well worth it from what I can gather!

I am still feeding my Pip the P@H Junior & Dwarf Mix as she is booked in to be spayed soon so dont want to change anything do drastic for next 4 weeks or so, until she is safely spayed & recovered...then I am going to start to introduce new things!

Thanks, Oxbow all the way then me thinks :D we'd do anything for our little 'uns wouldn't we.....

My boys poop has always smelt like he's had curried veg, but not as strong as hers, so think that's right about the Excel. YUMMY, haha :lol:

I'm near Lakeside Sarah, have fab Wylie's vets 15 minutes away, can't live without Will!

Can't wait to have little lady spayed and bonded with Arnold (had his plums done!), they're getting loved up through the bars, one month and counting.

xx

Ooh you're lucky! :) I think it's Oxbow Bunny Basics T you want, which is the timothy based one.

Back