Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 433

Thread: Im drying loads of herbs for winter! 2010 Forageing Thread

  1. #1
    Warren Veteran chelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,604

    Default Im drying loads of herbs for winter! 2010 Forageing Thread

    Hi all!

    Soi exciting - just wait till my OH opens the airing cupboard!

    Ive got bundles of Lemonbalm and parsley hanging in there!
    And a box underneath with rosemary cuttings!

    Ive collected all the rosepetals in the garden & zipped them in the microwave till crisp....had to kill some tiny bug things! Plus it was quicker than leaving them to dry!

    Now Im waiting for my marigolds to grow....and sussing out the garden for anything else to dry for winter!

    Ooooh - have what to me is Daisy's - now can I dry those - cause it looks like chamomile? But who knows what type of Daisy/chamomile it is?
    Last edited by chelle; 25-08-2011 at 12:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper hurricanhoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    21,920

    Default

    Lucky bunnies with all those goodies drying.


    Friendly Rabbit Forum for over 16's. Come and join everyone else over here!!

    http://rabbitrendezvous.co.uk/

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Swindon Wiltshire
    Posts
    10,047

    Default

    Chamomile & mayweed species are all safe for buns. You can recognise them by their fine feathery leaves.
    http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

    I wouldn't use any other "daisy looking" plants. some eg. oxeye daisy aren't safe for buns.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper Blackberry & Co's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Planet Blackberry
    Posts
    30,110

    Default

    My fingers are sore from picking brambles to dry for my boys

    And luckily the roses have bloomed really well this year - have got lots of paper bags filled with dried rose petals - my boys are addicted to them, fresh or dried.

    Todays bramble pick, ready to dry:



    Sleep tight, wee Blackberry x

    Professional Animal Artist
    http://www.facebook.com/DandelionsGallery
    Rabbit & Guinea Pig themed items ideal for gifts and treats available at:
    http://folksy.com/shops/DandelionsGallery
    http://www.dandelionsgallery.co.uk

    LJ & The Boys have a FB page!
    http://www.facebook.com/LJandTheBoys?ref=hl

  5. #5
    Warren Veteran chelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thumps_ View Post
    Chamomile & mayweed species are all safe for buns. You can recognise them by their fine feathery leaves.
    http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

    I wouldn't use any other "daisy looking" plants. some eg. oxeye daisy aren't safe for buns.
    oooh thanks you! i think I have the Oxeye....theres a clump of green leaves all together & a few spindly stalks with daisys on them.....how annoying! Might dig them up & replace with the right ones now!

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran chelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hurricanhoney View Post
    Lucky bunnies with all those goodies drying.

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran chelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry & Co View Post
    My fingers are sore from picking brambles to dry for my boys

    And luckily the roses have bloomed really well this year - have got lots of paper bags filled with dried rose petals - my boys are addicted to them, fresh or dried.

    Todays bramble pick, ready to dry:


    poor fingers!
    ooooh - they look great!
    Do you wash them all?

    Can you not use the stems?
    Cause of the thorns?

    Ive got the whole stems of the lemonbalms & the rosemary...is this ok? Or should i take the leaves off once dry?
    And not give them the stems?

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper Blackberry & Co's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Planet Blackberry
    Posts
    30,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chelle View Post
    poor fingers!
    ooooh - they look great!
    Do you wash them all?

    Can you not use the stems?
    Cause of the thorns?

    Ive got the whole stems of the lemonbalms & the rosemary...is this ok? Or should i take the leaves off once dry?
    And not give them the stems?
    I pick the leaves off cos I don't like the thorny stalks (although they turn up in bags of hay!) but some of the stalks were soooo thorny. I picked them after we'd had rain - saves washing them (and only from higher up so that they hadn't had any dog wee on them)

    I should think the stems of the herbs would be fine - my boys eat the stems of the basil plants quite happily. And I'm drying the calendula stalks and leaves for them too.


    Sleep tight, wee Blackberry x

    Professional Animal Artist
    http://www.facebook.com/DandelionsGallery
    Rabbit & Guinea Pig themed items ideal for gifts and treats available at:
    http://folksy.com/shops/DandelionsGallery
    http://www.dandelionsgallery.co.uk

    LJ & The Boys have a FB page!
    http://www.facebook.com/LJandTheBoys?ref=hl

  9. #9
    Warren Veteran chelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    7,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry & Co View Post
    I pick the leaves off cos I don't like the thorny stalks (although they turn up in bags of hay!) but some of the stalks were soooo thorny. I picked them after we'd had rain - saves washing them (and only from higher up so that they hadn't had any dog wee on them)

    I should think the stems of the herbs would be fine - my boys eat the stems of the basil plants quite happily. And I'm drying the calendula stalks and leaves for them too.

    Im gonna pick after the rain too! Great idea!
    I'll leave the stalks on then....
    ooooh - calendula -thats marigolds hey? Ive got some growing...I thought I could just dry the flowers...they are just great and easy to dry...guess I could do the whole plant too...well leave the root out maybe!

    Im thinking of going to buy some more herbs just to dry them all!

    Gonna get a book so help me cause i didnt grow up in this country so dont know whats what ....then Im gonna go crazy mad drying everything! The winters last forever here....
    Last edited by chelle; 01-08-2010 at 07:22 PM.

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Swindon Wiltshire
    Posts
    10,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chelle View Post
    oooh thanks you! i think I have the Oxeye....theres a clump of green leaves all together & a few spindly stalks with daisys on them.....how annoying! Might dig them up & replace with the right ones now!
    If you find some that just have the yellow dome & no white petals (pineapple mayweed) - nab them for yourself. The young small domes make a lovely slightly pineapple flavoured herb tea!

    chell, the English marigolds calendula, are so easy to grow. If you cut off the flower & it's stalk, they'll keep on trying to flower & grow bushier then take the top of the plant in autumn. It's a bit late for this year, but if watered well you'll probably get some flowers.

    ETA We can make our own plant/herb mix infinately cheaper than the bought ones AND have some fun. I'm waiting for the reciepes to start on RU.
    Last edited by thumps_; 01-08-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •