• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD - cylap v lapinject

alisont

Mama Doe
Hi

Leo is booked in for his VHD next Monday - just phoned the vets to see what they use and they only have cylap,

Ive asked about ordering Lapinject in but they can only order in bulk and would charge for 10! They say they have never known a bad reaction to Cylap but Ive read up on it here and googled it and it seems thet Lapinject is the best option.

Have asked to see the practice owner who is the senior vet who treated our dog for years who I really trust. He is the most experienced vet there.

Anyone know how much this lapiject costs?

Just want the best for Leo at 13, and Im new to the idea of vaccinations - never had any rabbits in the past vaccinated as I did not know about it but realise the importance of it now.

Am knowing me over worrying - he was fine with his myxi 2 weeks ago but like to do my reasearch first so Ive got all my facts to hand. Im sure there are other vets who can offer lapinject but as I dont drive I do use my local vets - also like to stick to the vets I know/trust.

I imagine the other 9 ordered will go to waste if I pay for 10 lapinject:roll:

Thanks for any advice:)

I'd be tempted to ring round some other vets, to be honest. Just because a vet is good with dogs and cats, it doesn't mean they are particularly great with rabbits. You've done some good research on the Lapinject/Cylap, so you don't want it to go to waste.

Louie had a reaction to Cylap, not a massive reaction but he was very quiet and withdrawn for a couple of days, enough to worry me anyway.

He will be due it again in around October and, if my vet wont get Lapinject then I will be looking to use another vet. I don't want to chance the Cylap again even though my others were always fine with it.

mylo also had a reaction to cyclap, it wasnt bad but he wasnt himself for a couple of days and the place where it had been injected became wet and a scab appeared and his hair fell out around that area, it was only for a couple of days but wasnt nice to see him like that. I would try the other one when hes due for it.

You can get a 5 dose vial of Lapinject it doesn't have to be a 10 dose one.

I think the 5 dose Lapinject only costs a fraction more that the 1 dose of Cylap but you have to remember vets are a commercial business so you may find they'll charge you 5 times the price. I asked my vets if they'd consider a discount for bringing 5 bunnies in one go but was told because of the consultation time etc thats involved they couldn't do it.

Lapinject comes in a 5-dose vial, and I have been told that it only costs £17 for the vet to buy in, so to charge you 10 times the price of Cylap is ridiculous!! There is no way I would NEVER use Cylap again after what several of my bunnies went through!:censored:

Wherabouts in the West Midlands are you?

Just inside Worcs to be exact - between Stourbridge and Kidderminster but dont drive - might be able to get a lift maybe to Kidderminster or Stourbridge but dont like to take advantage of parents as they do give me a lot of lifts and get pet supplies in etc.

Im sure I can get my vets to order it in but if they all say there are no problems with Cylap they will push for it, I just want what is best for Leo - he is showing more signs of being an elderly rabbit these days - less engrgy, quieter in character.

Cylap comes in a 5 dose vial and what we normally do is book bunnies in bulk i.e try for 5 buns for vhd in one day to save the client being charged for the vial and so we can make a bit of a profit on it. lapinject gets charged to the client at the same price as cylap in our practice which means sometimes we operate at a loss as the whole vial goes in the bin after one bunny.

we switched to lapinject over 6 months ago now and so far have had no reactions many practices just want use it as it does need to be binned after opening so not able to make much of a profit on it.

i hate both Equally......

Alvin had the limp the first time with cylap then nothing after.

Pearl got some scabs with Cylap but again even with a poorly heart no reaction at all the next year.

Holly was really off following the Lapinjet last month and i will be asking my vet if the side effects can last 3 weeks or if she thinks there was something else up with holly for 3 weeks following her jab :? and why she suddenly became normal again so suddenly :? :?

I know how you feel, not being a driver myself and having to rely on lifts to vets. My thoughts are just that if they don't know of Cylap issues it makes me wonder how up to date they are in rabbit medicine.

My lot had Cylap last year with no problems. Havind read of a lot of bad experiences on here I asked my vets about Lapinject for this year and they were already in the process of changing to it :D

i myself was thinking the same as you when i first booked in my new bunnies for their first injections, my vets only did the cylap and i also asked about lapinject he said same would have to order in and they have never known or had any reports to a reaction to their cylap i proceeded but was still worried at same time i can honestly say mine didnt have any reactions to it i told them of my concerns and he was suprised its personal choice i guess there can be bad batches of both and some buns may react to any drugs just the same as us humans can have a reaction to certain drugs or injections some people have reactions to say the flu jab but it doesnt stop others having it or make docs change it every bun is diff and its honestly a gamble with any i think i am just glad mine didnt or i would never of forgiven myself for not demanding the lapinject but turns out they were ok anyway phew :wave:

Leo has had his jab tonight - vets had got both in when I went which was good. He didnt half thump after!

He is home now - does seem very tired but has had some greens and some carrot.

My Mum will be here tomorrow to keep an eye on him and if he has any side effects Im only 3 miles away at work and quiet so can come home if needed.

Vet has been reading up on the subject and has never known any side effects to cylap but then said unless owners ring up or let them know they dont get to hear about individual cases.

He was very impressed with Leo's health/condition for his age, and Leo was so calm/well behaved, also loved the new bunny carrier!

I'm glad Leo is ok and hasnt experienced any affects.
I've booked Pierre in for Thursday and after reading all the bad views on Cylap i'm worried now but remaining positive :)

I'm so glad Leo seems ok after his jab. I always worry about mine after theirs but they always seem fine. Bella has Cylap every year and has zero side effects.

Found this thread very useful.

I am taking my friends bun for his first VHD jab tomorrow while my friend is away on hols. I phoned the vet and asked them to order in lapinject for me. They were happy to and the price is no different :D

Thankfully I've got a very good bunny vet (very useful for newbies like me) and she would only use lapinject regardless of if there was only bun and they had to waste the rest of the bottle.
Personally I wouldn't mind paying more, it doesn't seem worth the risk.

Back