• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please needed urgently- Ulcer?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I work up this morning and patch has what seems to be an ulcer or something pink taking over his eye. I noticed his eye wasn't quite right last night, but thought i may be being overly worried. This morning i know i'm not. He has some of his eye covered up by this pink bit. I'm very worried. He is going to the vets at 2:30pm today. Is this an emergency, should i try get him in sooner. I can't bear to see him looking like this, bless him. He doesn't look in pain, but it looks painful to me.

Thanks ,
Ambience x

The pink bit you decribe is likely to be his third eyelid (nictitating membrane) coming across. It's function is to keep the eye moist and protected. There are a number of things that may cause it to be visible. Is there any swelling/bulging of the eye? discharge? Is his conjunctiva swollen? any lumps anywhere? Is he vaccinated?
Personally I would ask to be seen this morning if possible as many eye conditions are very painful. Also the third eyelid may show if the rabbit is generally unwell. Either way he needs to see a vet sooner rather than later.
good luck at the vets xx

Last edited:
The pink bit you decribe is likely to be his third eyelid (nictating membrane) coming across. It's function is to keep the eye moist and protected. There are a number of things that may cause it to be visible. Is there any swelling/bulging of the eye? discharge? Is his conjunctiva swollen? any lumps anywhere? Is he vaccinated?
Personally I would ask to be seen this morning if possible as many eye conditions are very painful. Also the third eyelid may show if the rabbit is generally unwell. Either way he needs to see a vet sooner rather than later.
good luck at the vets xx

Thankyou, yes he does have an eye infection. He is on baytril at the moment. I am not sure this is right though. He was on terramycin, fusalmic vet, tiacil before. Tiacil worked best.

His eye looks very very swolen. There is a white dot on it too. I will speak to the vets when i go this morning and see if i can take hm in early. I'm dropping ares off for neutering this morning, so i'll speak to them then.

It is a layer coming across his eye that looks very red, but it's developed very quickly, in less than 12 hours.

Thankyou for the advice
Ambience x

I would personally would delay the neutering operation until after his eye problem has been dealt with. Any condition which is causing him pain may cause him to stop eating and slow down his recovery from surgery. The vet should also rule out systemic illness first.

Sorry it's Ares in for neutering this morning and Patch is in this afternoon with his eyes, along with blaze. The vet has got patch and blaze on baytril twice daily. Are antibiotics effective if only given this often?

Thanks, sorry to confuse.
Ambience x

Back