Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: baytril?

Default baytril?

sorry if i sound abit dumb but is baytril the main antibiotic used by vets?every animal ive taken vets ill they have come away with baytril.my shelf now consists of 4 mini bottles.would it work out cheaper to just buy a large bottle?

Warren Veteran

It is the most common antibiotic used by vets. I'm afraid you can't buy it without a prescription though. If your rabbit is on long term treatment then it might be worth it, you would have to get a prescription from your vet though and they charge for this.
    Tim

Default baytril--antibiotics

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    sorry if i sound abit dumb but is baytril the main antibiotic used by vets?every animal ive taken vets ill they have come away with baytril.my shelf now consists of 4 mini bottles.would it work out cheaper to just buy a large bottle?
    this is a very touchy subject,,you should view my website,as there are many answers already to your questions,..check my profile for the address,..sincerely james waller --you,ll be glad you did...

Wise Old Thumper

I don't have experience with other animals but the reason it's always prescribed for rabbits is because it's the only one licensed for use with them.

Vets have a cascade system for choosing appropriate antibiotics which means they have to always use the one which is the lowest risk whilst still being appropriate for the situation, so most often this will be the licensed one ie baytril. In rabbits, the stronger antibiotics can have a negative effect on their digestive systems.

Sleep tight Apache, everyone who met you was happier for it.

The Moon and Stars amoungst the Milky Way!

i think Baytrial is absolute rubbish its not the best antibiotic it was just marketed well and i was even told the same by a head vet she also said because its being used so much that germs are building up immunities to it

Default antibiotics

dear breeze,.there is no magic bullet,however if your rabbit is exibiting health problems,,baytril is a common safe antibiotic,,cultures can identify a given bacteria,and proper antibiotics for treatment,,there are stronger meds also available if treatment is ineffective with baytril,,ie.azithromycin,it is a four quadrant antibiotic which is be more effective in fighting bacteria--immunity is a strong possibility--thus azithromycin,//,yes antibotics have been over stated and massively abused--example is the doctor who treats common cold virus-with antibiotics/and this seems to be an epidemic caused by humans-i trust something here will help your understanding,,if not leave me a pm...sincerely james waller

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Rexs View Post
    i think Baytrial is absolute rubbish its not the best antibiotic it was just marketed well and i was even told the same by a head vet she also said because its being used so much that germs are building up immunities to it
    I can't say whether it's the best because I don't have a lot of experience of the other but I've had fishes with very nasty infections causing in particular ulcers and they were going on for weeks without any improvement (not even really slowed down) with the aquatic treatments I was using. The difference in 4 days from 2 Baytril injections was miraculous, so it is very effective, in the right circumstances.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

my main problem with it is that bun has syphilis and vet perscribed this.im going back tomorrow and iv told them i want see a diff vet because he is now getting sores on his lips.

Baytril's efficacy is good against gram positive, reduced against gram negative and poor against anaerobic bacteria.

Injectable Depocillin is usually the antibiotic of choice to treat syphilis.

my main problem with it is that bun has syphilis and vet perscribed this.im going back tomorrow and iv told them i want see a diff vet because he is now getting sores on his lips.
    I think I saw a thread yesterday that said penicillin injections were the only thing for Syphilis (but ONLY injected...they can't handle oral penicillin.)
    My blog, Howard's House

Wedding pictures!

My signature might stay as the above for the whole year...afterall...look at those faces...aren't they rather gorgeous? I think so! I might be a little eager with the ChirsMoose spirit...or perhaps just a little lazy in not bothering to change my signature pic. The choice is yours!