• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping grash lush!

tobiesmummy

Young Bun
How do you lovely lot keep your garden clean? My garden is riddled in poop and i cant sweep it up through the grass lol. When it rains it goes all squidgy, making it more hard to clean :oops: Does it get taken up in the lawn mower? I havnt had the rabbits out in the garden for long as you can tell. Im running out of non-poop places to put them! lol

The lawn mower seems to mash it up and disperse it. You can sweep it up as well. I get some funny looks but I have to do it with poop comming from four rabbits its gets very pooey :lol:

I was wondering about this as mine are pooping all over the grass in their run but still eating it (the grass) i was thinking of vaccing them up with my dustbuster but i'm a bit embarrassed in case the neighbours see me, think i might wait til their cars missing and do it then :lol:

You can get garden vacuums, but I don't know how good they'd be at picking poos up. I guess they'd have to be dry too.

My bunnies are very strange and will only poo in their litter tray in their hutch...they actually hold it in if they're anywhere else.

NO NO NO!!! Leave the poop!!!!!!!!!! It will fertilise your lawn as the rain and sun breaks it down. We have very poor soil here and our lawn always dies in Summer and our garden is North facing! :roll: Since we've had the buns the grass quality and lush growth has improved NO end. Bunny poo is what makes grass lush! :D

My mum has this obsession with sweeping them up and chucking them in the corner so my nephew won't get them. The nephew that has only been in my garden once in the whole year he's been alive! :roll:

Somewhat related - does rabbit urine scorch the grass? I have two unneutered males. My theory is that they'd be like dogs - females scorch, males don't - but I'm noticing some brown patches. Should I attribute them to the buns or another garden visitor?

D x

Somewhat related - does rabbit urine scorch the grass? I have two unneutered males. My theory is that they'd be like dogs - females scorch, males don't - but I'm noticing some brown patches. Should I attribute them to the buns or another garden visitor?

D x

Maybe you have a visiting vixen? :?

My dogs do a good job of hoovering up the poops :lol:.

So funny you say that! I wondered today, there should be alot more poo and i caught my cocker spaniel sucking them up! :lol::lol:
I was thinking about hoovering them up, i really want to get a hand held hoover for stray poops anyway.
Prettylupin- my lawn certainly needs fertilised! But my dogs and humans alike seem to stand in it and it gets squished :oops: The heavy rain today did make it all soggy though, will it just be absorbed into the soil i guess? I dont think my gardener will be happy with mowing up poop :lol:

I sweep up the poos and pop it in the compost big. I think the run would get far to messy if i didn't .... I am also worried sick about flystrike so I like to try and keep the place poo free so as not to encourage the flys.

I haven't even thought of this :oops:

The first time Princess went out in her run she didn't poop, she did the second time, in a neat little pile, but I never thought what to do with it :lol:

I was wondering about this as mine are pooping all over the grass in their run but still eating it (the grass) i was thinking of vaccing them up with my dustbuster but i'm a bit embarrassed in case the neighbours see me, think i might wait til their cars missing and do it then :lol:

Please try this and let me know!! :p I have always want to know if this will actually hoover up the poops but I'm too scared to try incase im spotted by next door. I always just get down on my hands and knees and comb through the grass to pick up the poops, I have already seen the neighbours looking at me in total amazement because normally im chattering away to the rabbits too :oops:

I'd be inclined to sweep up large quantities of poop in a fixed run yes, to prevent oversoiling and attracting flies etc. But for a run which is moved around I wouldn't worry about it too much, neither for buns who free range. I suppose I wasn't envisaging piles of poop on the lawn - just the odd one scattered about - I reached this conclusion because my buns use a litter tray outside as well as in! :oops::D so the only poops scattered around doing lots of fertilisation are Nino's.... as Nino does not do poops in a tray anywhere. :roll: Both our buns wee in the tray outside so scorching has never been an issue.

Yes rain and sun will break the poops down to fertilise the grass. :D

I sweep up the poos and pop it in the compost big. I think the run would get far to messy if i didn't .... I am also worried sick about flystrike so I like to try and keep the place poo free so as not to encourage the flys.

Snap, I do aswell and then water the grass it does help as the next morning there isn't as many flies around as there was when I left the poops there overnight.

the run does get moved around but our garden is quite small so they will be back to the same spot in a few days :p My rabbits arnt litter trained at all, much to my annoyance but i think its partially to do with being moved around so much housing wise.

None of my four ever poo on the grass, am I lucky? :D They free range but have access to their aviary all the time so go back there to poo. I have to sweep guinea pig poo up though :roll:.

Mine has an aviary too but free ranges - he has one spot in the garden he poops in but won't use his litter tray unless desperate! He waits till I let him out then he RUNs to his spot. :lol: WISH he'd go back in and use the litter tray, but it's in one spot so not too much ofa worry - but the area is now huge and brown and no grass grows in that spot - but the area around it grows more so it's like very obvious!

the run does get moved around but our garden is quite small so they will be back to the same spot in a few days :p My rabbits arnt litter trained at all, much to my annoyance but i think its partially to do with being moved around so much housing wise.

I have the same problem as this. I have a separate run & hutch, and they generally always use the litter tray when in the hutch. In the run, they will use one corner and I generally leave the run in the same place for 2 or 3 days in a row (to give the rest of the garden a chance to recover). So over these few days, there is generally quite a little pile of poo in the corner of the run in the grass.

I was wondering about the grass scorching due to urine, as my grass is definitely far more brown in patches than my neighbours - but I think the endless dry spell we've been having recently hasn't helped this either. Might need to invest in a sprinkler to help water the garden - and break down the poo & dilute the urine patches at the same time.

Back