• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

edible weeds

I think i did manage to identify (I think) a flower for myself to day :D
i can see its from the family of Fumitories, but which one...I think its the common Fumitory because of where i found it, the earth was soft and very dusty (waste land) ?
DSCF5167.jpg
DSCF5168.jpg

DSCF5169.jpg

we usually have this delicate flower decorating the grass along the foot path, speedwell?:
Speedwell.jpg

Okay now you're getting ahead of me! :shock::oops: :lol:

*goes off to get book out and catch up*!!!! :D:lol::lol:

Thats an interesting plant. I was talking to my dad about the new plants I have learnt and its like seeing the world from a completely different view! I am so pleased with my book i was sat by the stream reading it comparing the weeds around me. :lol:

:lol::lol: my plant ID skills are developing.....slowly!! but yet to fing smooth sow thistle....haven't given buns the mayweed a bit wary now after all the umming and arrin!!
Waiting for the experts to come along and clarify my findings before the buns have their tea!

Thats an interesting plant. I was talking to my dad about the new plants I have learnt and its like seeing the world from a completely different view! I am so pleased with my book i was sat by the stream reading it comparing the weeds around me. :lol:

:lol::lol: need to buy a magnifyer for close inspections!

:lol::lol: my plant ID skills are developing.....slowly!! but yet to fing smooth sow thistle....haven't given buns the mayweed a bit wary now after all the umming and arrin!!
Waiting for the experts to come along and clarify my findings before the buns have their tea!

I think you do have the pineapple one, ilooked up the sentless mayweed and when i was examining the pineapple mayweed there looked no sign of any petals soon on all the plants, even the old flowers :)

I think you do have the pineapple one, ilooked up the sentless mayweed and when i was examining the pineapple mayweed there looked no sign of any petals soon on all the plants, even the old flowers
:)

You are right Stufi. My big reference book is so old, it was probably written before pineapple mayweed was introduced to UK. so I didn't know of it's existance until you folk brought up the subject. There are hardly any illustrations, & none in colour.
Pretty Lupin clarified it all, that ALL types of mayweed are bunny safe.

Your photo of the bluebell wood is lovely. Given the beech trees I'm guessing it's West Woods - a 2 mile carpet of bluebells, & the only place where I've managed to get lost in the countryside, perhaps due to the 1/2 pint at the "Who'd a' Thought It" pub before the walk.:lol::lol::lol: Thanks

Lildebs Now you have a good book, you'll understand that the accurate identification of plants has it's own descriptive language, & a photo doesn't show all the parts we need to see to be accurate. Yes a magnifying lens & sometimes even dissection can be necessary.
I'm absolutely thrilled that you've been "bitten by the bug" and wish you many many enjoyable hours.
ETA Lot's of apologies I'm confused by all the posts - please forgive me forgetting posters muddled.

Last edited:
Lobo, the photo of the bush you posted is exquisite.
I agree with you so much that weeds are just highly successful plants which grow where we don't want them to grow.
I often feel sad that people outwith the UK are under represented when it comes to native plants which are safe for our rabbits, or indeed obtaining a good diet locally.

We have also had plant species introduced as ornamental plants, which have "escaped", & are considered to be undesirable, eg Giant hogweed, but not such as to threaten our native species as far as I know. Most of our native species grow throughout Northern Europe. Pineapple mayweed is another example of a relatively recent import.
I see far more problems in your country. It is so important to preserve the Australian native species. Many are confined to Australia.

Helloooo all :) no rabbit forum for a week is sooooo hard :( just moved and all going well (inc womble and bruce :)) but i still dont have internet until the 15th! Still waiting for my greens for rabbit book to turn up. How has everyone got on with their weed searching? Ive had much fun in the wasteland we have when i am at home and internet is up il post some pics for you to have a go at identifying

Fi x

licorice

I have heard that rabbits like licorice - it sayes on the web only in small amounts due to the laxative effect ! I have some proper licorice sticks (ie brances) and wonder what a small amount is !

licorice

I have heard that rabbits like licorice - it sayes on the web only in small amounts due to the laxative effect ! I have some proper licorice sticks (ie brances) and wonder what a small amount is !

my cottontail gets into things i don,t properly hide,,i have let him have a quick bite(licorice)- but i am not a firm believer to allow ingestion of what could be harmful,,try to stick with healthy herbivore foods--try this link for more info- http://www.medirabbit.com sincerely james waller-kent,wa.:wave: u.s.a

Back