• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

edible weeds

:wave:Yes buns will eat young nettles, & a little wheat, barley, oats leaves.
Many types of pet bird seed have cannabis in which often germinates. Just get rid of any bits that look a bit like tomatoe plants.:lol:

To explain, my bun has stasis issues. Because buns get dehydrated when they are in stasis, I'm careful not to feed him plants with diuretic properties if his tummy is playing up, or in hot weather, when he loses fluid by breathing more quickly.

A good mainstay for a slow gut, dysbiosis, or to get your buns through moult is bramble leaves. It's not instead of treatment if they have symptoms, but to help them naturally.

Yes it is interesting. I just like to know what the plants around me are when I go for a walk.
Hoping you have many happy hours of enjoyment.

Thats great to know about the bramble! :thumb: esp since I have tons of that growing in the new house we moving to in the next couple of days :D

for the first time, I picked some weeds and put them in the cage for womble this evening and at this very moment whilst typing to the glow of the TV, i can hear her tucking into a nice crunchy leaf :lol: (shes been spoilt with my strawberry leaves and herb pots!)

now I know a few of which is bunny safe, I think I may be the only one keeping my accidental pots of potted weeds as i know whats in the soil? :oops: I will just have to find an attractive way to display them ;)

I think i may get one of those troff plant pots and repot the weeds with a few herbs thrown in :lol: a bunny grazing bar :D:D:D

Last edited:
I think that the weeds are a bunny treat. They love them.

I do like your idea of growing them in troughs. Most weeds grow best in poor soil. Sow thistle seems to like some sun, the stem in sandy soil/gravel, but nice moist rich soil about 1" down.

The big problem is that they die back by late Sept. So we have to acclimatise our buns to human veg before the wild supply runs out.

Some can be dried to make our own herb treats for the buns. A packet of kiddies marigold seeds would still give you some flowers even planted now! :).

I haven't answered #20. I'm honestly not sure about plant 2.
I think you are on the right track looking at "crepis" sps. It doesn't grow round here, so i don't know if it's bunny safe - sorry. We need more help here.

Smooth house moving, fingers crossed that all goes well.

I also have a lovely illustrated wild flowers of Britain book given to me by a dear friend ;) and it's fabulous! Get yourself a wild flower book with good photographic or illustrations and then get the Greenfoods one to compare. :D:wave:

Thanks :) What wild flowers of Britain book do you have or suggest? I am trying to look online but i was always told never judge a book by its cover ;)

at washing weeds my buns prefere a bit of the ole grit from soil and bit of protien from the odd green fly :lol:
, i noticed all sorts of plants growing in my mums lawn for which some turn my buns wee colour but other than that had no real ill effects

I have a photographic wild flowers of Britain borrowed from my dad which is by Roger Phillips, Macmillan publishers.

And have just recently acquired a beautiful illustrated - The illustrated flora of Britain and Northern Europe by Blamey and Grey-Wilson. Hodder and Staughton publishers - it's beautiful. :D

Very interesting thread. At the moment I'm pretty useless with recognising wild plants, but I want to learn for Daisy's sake.

Such a shame that buttercups aren't bunny safe as I have a garden full of them ... which is why my two are always confined to their run when they go outside as I'm sure they'd scoff anything they could get their bunny teeth into!

Pretty Lupin - I've gone with your book suggestions and ordered the bunny ones from RWA. I quite fancy a good wild plants field guide too, so will be heading off to amazon in a minute to look at what's on offer :)

So have i :D I have ordered the greens book thingy from WHSmith as i had a couple of books i needed to get also. Pretty Lupin, could you look in your book to see if Smooth Hawksbeard (Crepis capillaris) is safe whilst im waiting for mine to be delivered? if its safe il replant it into my plant pot ;) I have to say the leaves almost look lie they should be in an italian salad as it looks a bit like spikey rocket :)

I wanna be a weed savvy :( reading this thread I'm envious... I knew about buttercups though! :lol: I thought buns couldn't eat the dandilion flower...

So have i :D I have ordered the greens book thingy from WHSmith as i had a couple of books i needed to get also. Pretty Lupin, could you look in your book to see if Smooth Hawksbeard (Crepis capillaris) is safe whilst im waiting for mine to be delivered? if its safe il replant it into my plant pot ;) I have to say the leaves almost look lie they should be in an italian salad as it looks a bit like spikey rocket :)

Yes I will - gotta have my supper now, but will look after :wave:

I wanna be a weed savvy :( reading this thread I'm envious... I knew about buttercups though! :lol: I thought buns couldn't eat the dandilion flower...

You wernt the only one, I was completely clueless its just that i live in rented acom. and the garden is a bit burnt from the sun lol and the weeds have taken over. Back at my parents Ive never seen half of these plants before... (as i was made to cut the grass before it could appear :roll:) here ive seen plenty of dandelion leaves but no flowers as yet... are older dandelion leaves a bit prickly to look at?

You wernt the only one, I was completely clueless its just that i live in rented acom. and the garden is a bit burnt from the sun lol and the weeds have taken over. Back at my parents Ive never seen half of these plants before... (as i was made to cut the grass before it could appear :roll:) here ive seen plenty of dandelion leaves but no flowers as yet... are older dandelion leaves a bit prickly to look at?

OOOoo haven't a clue...I just pick em, buns eat em :roll::lol: do you mean their shape?

Funnily enough I bought a fantastic wild flower guide today with photos of the plants. I've now discovered I have a lovely sow thistle plant in my garden. Just waiting for it to flower and then will feed the buns. :)

Well i noticed *going back for a quick peek* the young dandelion leaves are smooth to the touch, and the bigger versions of the leaves are bumpy. Its strange i have no dandelion flowers, plenty of leaves only the Hawkweed and the unidentified smooth hawkbeard that do... so just wanted to check unless its another type of hawk goodness knows what thats growing :lol:

Well i noticed *going back for a quick peek* the young dandelion leaves are smooth to the touch, and the bigger versions of the leaves are bumpy. Its strange i have no dandelion flowers, plenty of leaves only the Hawkweed and the unidentified smooth hawkbeard that do... so just wanted to check unless its another type of hawk goodness knows what thats growing :lol:

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ....you sound nearly as good as PL and Thumps!! :lol:

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ....you sound nearly as good as PL and Thumps!! :lol:

Hey... Im just a keen learner! anything to bring my veg bill down :lol: at the moment they get fresh greens were i have frozen :roll: my knowledge is the start of this post :p x

Back