• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside or Outside

Inside or outside bunny

• Inside

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Outside

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 63 67.7%

• Total voters

faline

Young Bun
There is an arguement on another forum I belong to that ALL rabbits should be indoors and anyone who keeps them outdoors is neglecting them. They claim rabbits or any domesticated animal does better indoors than outddors.
I was just wondering what you all think?

I prefer to keep mine indoors as I live alone and they are my companions. I however have no objections to them living outdoors and believe they do just as well as long as they are cared for properly for the circumstances they live in.

I do temporarily have one living outdoors as there is more space for him there at the moment, but he will hopefully become a house rabbit once he's bonded with existing rabbit(s).

I keep mine indoors but I would never say they HAVE to be kept indoors. I know there are arguments for both sides of the story. For me personally I'd rather have them indoors where I can be with them more often and spend more time with them. Also we have many foxes and someone in our cul-de-sac has a lot of cats.

i voted it dont matter.

i doubt i would ever have outside buns myself but thats for my selfish reasons and not delusions that they are better off. Bunnies appear to thrive on love, food and space so it dont matter where that takes place really.

For me they are my family so i insist they live in the family home with me :love::love:

I think it depends where the forum is based :wave:

Some countries don't really have the right weather conditions for keeping rabbits outdoors, unless they are in a heated/air conditioned shed.

Large land masses (e.g. the USA) can get very hot in summer and very cold in winter

I voted outdoors - because I think bunnies can be perfectly happy outside.

I think which is best for bunnies would depend on lots of factors - space - personal rabbits perference - time you spend at home etc.

Perhaps in hotter countries it is better to keep them inside esp when it's very hot as the houses would be cooler coz of air conditioning...

H :)

abbymarysmokey -that's a good point.

But for the uk I would say personally I think rabbits should live as natural a life as a wild rabbit as possible- apart from keeping them safe from predators and taking to vets when ill , which means free-range in the garden-being allowed to dig etc.

I'm not against indoor bunnies- certainly its better for those with poor health, but according to the animal welfare act, rabbits should be allowed to exhibit natural behaviour as much as possible, and in my opinion its natural for a rabbit to graze.

sue:wave:

I think that there are some very valid points. I think being able to give them as natural an environment as possible would sway it for me. Although I have had indoor buns, most of mine seem to prefer being outside to see what is going on, and provided they have space and are protected from the elements and predators, then I think this is my personal preference.

I think that there is also an argument for them needing Vit D from natural light to be more healthy.

As long as the bunny has suitable living conditions, company and are not ignored, then I don't think it matters where they live.

I choose to keep mine outside, because I have more room for them out there, they have their large hutch and shed. Indoors, they wouldn't be able to have free run because of my dogs.

So they are perfectly happy, especially as they have each other. I don't think I like single bunnies being outdoors on their own, but saying that, my last bunny was alone outside and happy. I don't think I'd do it again, Islay & Jura love each other too much :love:

abbymarysmokey -that's a good point.

But for the uk I would say personally I think rabbits should live as natural a life as a wild rabbit as possible- apart from keeping them safe from predators and taking to vets when ill , which means free-range in the garden-being allowed to dig etc.

I'm not against indoor bunnies- certainly its better for those with poor health, but according to the animal welfare act, rabbits should be allowed to exhibit natural behaviour as much as possible, and in my opinion its natural for a rabbit to graze.

sue:wave:

And where they can be eaten by foxes? Mine graze on hay.

I have always kept my rabbits and guinea pigs outside, and never had one eaten by a fox.

I'm glad. But they don't have to be eaten to be killed by a fox. A fright can be enough.

That's a bit catagoric, they can live outside but with protection from foxes!

Mine like being outside and listening to the birds and general goings on, I think it provides them with more enrichment.

H :)

I wouldn't feel happy with just mesh between them and foxes - especially not with two easily stressed rabbits. It was bad enough three years ago when I had Mini and Mischa outside and shutting them up and seeing fox eyes in my garden. Let alone with Smudge who jumps out of his skin whenever a tiny noise occurs.

Mine get enrichment by being within the house and having people around them. The windows are nearly always open except in winter so they can hear the birds and feel the breeze. There are also four of them in a group now, so they are hardly bereft of their own kind. They also go outside when warm enough and when we are around to watch them.

I also don't have the room outside to provide them with a big enough permanent space. I'm just saying that putting them outside is not the answer for EVERYONE.

Last edited:
I've voted doesn't matter as mine have been both - Joejoe was a housebun for over a year and Jess for a few months and they've both recently gone outside and it's been a complete success.

I was soo worried about them going out but with hindsight all my concerns were me putting human emotions on to them i.e they might be chilly, the won't like the wet, they ill be upset they've been shoved out the house, they'll miss the comings and goings in the house and so on when in fact they aren't bothered one jot by the weather conditions, they are loads more active since being out there, every time i look out they are hopping about whereas indoors they just used to veg out on the mat they are just altogether more happy and healthy looking.

I'm not against houserabbits, and for those buns allowed a free run of the house it's a bit different but for mine who for chewing reasons were confined to the kitchen their outdoor hutch/run really is so much better for them - not so much for me as i do miss them tripping me up while i'm cooking and it means a concerted effort to go out and spend time with them instead of them just being there on tap whenever i wanted.

Before I start, please don't take offence to what I have written. I don't mean to attack anyone, and if you feel that I have, I am sorry. This is MY opinion which is something that I am entitled to. It is clear to me that most are for outdoors and not against it like me, and therefore I am not sure if I am wasting my time. But I want to clear a few things up, because most people here seem to see the indoors as something unnatural, cruel, horrible etc etc.

I am a firm believer that all animals should be kept indoors. Just because your pigs/rabbits haven't been attacked/eaten by foxes/predators, doesn't mean it is impossible, it just means that you got lucky. For the old argument that they should have as natural an environment as possible - these are domesticated animals and are quite different from their wild counterparts. To me that is simply a ridiculous argument. Vitamin D? Enrichment? Birds? Breeze? They can get the benefit from these and be indoors. They are all excuses in my opinion. Those that say they are happier outside - how do you truly measure happiness? How do you know whether they are truly better off inside or out? No one really knows the answer to this (because the animals can't talk) but we can make an educated guess. And inside there are far less variables for us to control, and therefore far greater chances of our beloved pets living long, happy lives.

Probably no one or very few people on this forum will agree with me but I will list my reasons why I am so firmly against it below. Before that I would like to say that I have seen some of the outdoor set ups here and they are truly amazing - far improved from the traditional forgotten hutch down the back of the yard. However, I still believe that all animals should be inside.

Reasons:
- Inside they are a part of the family where they belong (where all family members live).
- They recieve more attention inside. No one is outdoors all of the time, granted no one is indoors all of the time - most are indoors more than they are outdoors. Particulary in winter when it is freezing cold, wet and horrible, and likewise in summer when it is stinking hot and just as unpleasurable. Saying this everyone is different, and everyone lives in different places.
- Most furries are not suited to the often harsh climate outdoors. Guinea pigs for instance struggle with the cold and the heat. I have seen a guinea pig die from heatstroke, whilst it wasn't one of my own it wasn't a nice sight, and the poor girl was in considerable discomfort/pain. Indoors the temperature can be monitored to provide suitable living conditions.
- Predators. They are everywhere whether we like it or not. Whether it be dogs or cats from neighbouring properties, foxes or snakes, spiders or rats. They all pose a risk and they can all cause considerable injury/death. Granted some of these can get inside (spiders for example) the likelihood of a pet being injured indoors from a predator is significantly less.
- Space. Common argument - "I can provide more space for them outdoors then in." Simple solution. Make space. Rearrange furniture, they are a part of the family so surely space can be made? My room has a bed, and a bedside table and a small wardrobe for my clothes. Then I have a guinea pig wardrobe, 3 x 6ft pens, 4 x 65L containers for hay, pellet containers, 2 x large carriers plus an additional 6ftx8ft area left free (except for numerous toys which I constantly trip over :roll::lol:). I made space to fit the furries in. It is not impossible.
- Easier to monitor. They are in the house with people coming and going all the time. It is easy to pick up an unwell bunny quickly and efficiently. The quicker an illness is picked up, the quicker they can be treated, they likelihood of a positive outcome is increased.

I am tired, and that is all I can think of for the moment. I am expecting my head to be bitten off, spat on the ground and stomped on, but I feel it is necessary to just clear up a few things - and I am entitled to my 2 cents.

I dont think it matters where they are kept as long as they are looked after correctly.

Mine are all outside purely for two reasons:

1. I have cats who are indoors a lot.
2. I have two children with asthma and we are all allergic to the bunnies/hay (daughter is severely affected).

I voted doesn't matter.

As long as they are well cared for I don't think it's an issue. I keep mine outside because my parents don't want them in them living in the house. We've had building work done inside so it's safer and quiter outside. I keep their hutch warm at night and protect it from foxes etc.

Pigsforlife - I think you make some very valid points but I think the whole point of this thread is that it really doesn't matter if you choose to keep your bunsters indoors or outdoors. As long as you provide a good environment and your critters are well looked after.

I've had both houserabbits AND outdoor rabbits and I've also had some who've lived both indoors and outdoors. My houserabbit was perfectly happy to be indoors BUT she loved to go out in the garden to freerange. Of the bunnies who've lived both indoors and outdoors, that particular pair are clearly much happier ie. exhibit less stress symptoms, when they're living outdoors. However, it really does depend on the individual bunnies.

All my bunnies currently live outdoors but I'd have no hesitation in bringing them indoors for health reasons. My piggies live indoors, simply because I'm a worry guts and I don't feel pigs are suited to the UK climate - particularly not in the winter. But that's not to say they can't be well cared for living in a shed or garage over the winter. Each to their own.

Ultimately, there is no right or wrong answer. Both have positive and negative points but as long as you're happy with your own situation then it 'ain't wrong :lol:.

Last edited:
Clearly my Smudge is terribly unhappy indoors as he is doing mad mad binkies a foot off the ground. ;)

Mine actually arn't fussed about going outside. My lops love it because they love their tummies and just eat grass all the time, but they don't get out there and suddenly binky all over the place. In fact in the past my lionheads have gone out there and spent half an hour in their carrier :roll: refusing to come out.

Indoors we share space. They can have masses of room because they share my bedroom and the landing and soon they will be able to share the study room.

Indoors works for us. It might not work for anyone else, but it does for us. I think my rabbits get far better lives living indoors than they could outdoors in this area.

while we are being so honest :lol::lol:

i cant bear hutches, i hate the things.. if i did (very not likely) ever banish my buns outside i would no way shape or form have a hutch :lol::lol:

i like sheds and playhouses tho, the setups ive seen on here are amazing. :love::love:

Back