• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail clipping advice

Hi,

my rabbit needs his nails clippin but ive never done this before, i have bought some nail clippers and also a nail file for him. But whenever i try and lift him upside down he just wriggles and is makin it impossible. I can lift him onto his back but as soon as i bring him towards me he gets all panicky and its not fair on him. When we took him the vets a while ago she showed us how to do turn him onto his back but i just cant do it!

Can anyone offer any advice? Or is it best to take him to the vets and watch how they do it and try it again once we have seen them do it again? How much does it cost at the vets?

I have never trimmed their nails but take them to the local pet/grooming store they only charge £3 each...think vet is about £5 each

the more i think about it the more i am considerin just takin him in the vets, i wont feel comfortable doin it and i dont wana keep panickin him!

I might just take him to the vets and then see how they do it and have another go myself, poor little fella! you would think he would just let me do it!

I take my buns to the vets for their nail clipping, I feel like a woos doing it but after cutting Sophies quick when she jumped suddenly and there was blood up the wall, I became too scared :shock:

I just walk in to the vets and say they are here for their manicure :lol:

I take my buns to the vets for their nail clipping, I feel like a woos doing it but after cutting Sophies quick when she jumped suddenly and there was blood up the wall, I became too scared :shock:

I just walk in to the vets and say they are here for their manicure :lol:

oohh no i dont fancy blood being everywhere!! I might just pay the vet to do it to be on the safe side, especially that i am not 100% confident and mylos a little wriggler!!!

How much do you pay at the vets?

There are a few dog groomers round here, I'm sure they could have a go. Failing that, you could try a breeder, or someone who boards rabbits.

I don't turn mine upside down to do it....I just kind of sit them on their bums to do it.
It does take 2 people though cause mine are fairly big.
Can be horrible when you nick the quick, when I was up at Kris' we were clipping Pickle nails and he wriggled......looked like we had been butchering things in the kitchen :shock: :oops:
I had to go and buy new clothes :roll:

I get mine done at the vet - Tower Wood in Cookridge are great if you live anywhere near. They have a rabbit savvy vet Mr Marsden but they offer nail clipping for free (done by the nurses) for guinea pigs at least; possibly also for rabbits. I just had my two's nails done when they went in for jabs. Can't bear doing it myself.

I wrap penny up in a towel, and give her something scrummy to munch on, and then poke her diddy paws through the towel and trim them. She used to wriggle around quite alot, but she`s not as bad now. She still doesn`t love having it done though.
Instead of trying to lay your bun on his back, you could try putting your buns back to your tummy, and put one arm around his tum whilst trying to hold the paw with your hand, then with your other hand try and clip his claws. (hope that made sence ) It is very fiddley but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. I have a guineapig with brown claws and i hate clipping them because you can`t see where the quick is. I clipped a bit too far back the other day and made his tiny toe bleed :(. But he was fine, he gave out a little squeek, but seemed fine after that.

does anyone know of any places in leeds (rothwell)? Like rescues, and i can try there. I would sooner make a donation for somewhere like that to do it rather than pay the vets!

If i go anywhere near mylos feet, he runs away, hes very wriggly and hes not a big fan of bein picked up. He likes cuddles when he is sat down on the floor but not when i pick him up for a long time. Hes only small so i thought it would be quite easy to get him in a good nail cuttin position but after last night it isnt!

He must have really tickly feet like me!!

does anyone know of any places in leeds (rothwell)? Like rescues, and i can try there. I would sooner make a donation for somewhere like that to do it rather than pay the vets!

If i go anywhere near mylos feet, he runs away, hes very wriggly and hes not a big fan of bein picked up. He likes cuddles when he is sat down on the floor but not when i pick him up for a long time. Hes only small so i thought it would be quite easy to get him in a good nail cuttin position but after last night it isnt!

He must have really tickly feet like me!!

The only small animal rescue I know of in Leeds is Camp Nibble (They're on here and have their own site)

thanks, but unfortunately thats on the opposite side to leeds. It would be better if one is a bit closer cos mylo doesnt like his carry case very much!

Most mine sit very quietly on my lap and let me pick each leg up to do it without a fuss. I made a point of getting them used to it as babies. The white nails are easy as you can very clearly see the pink quick so you just cut below that. Dark nails are harder but I get my fiance to shine a torch underneath them so I can see better. Any fussy bunnies I wrap in a towel.

i have just phoned the vets now, and they said it would cost £10, is this a reasonable price to pay?

Maybe after i have seen them do it once then i will be able to do it myself.

One of mine lets me do his with no problems. I just give him a bowl of food and list his feet up one by one to do it.

The other two I've not even attempted yet but they look like they need doing now - I've read the best way is to wrap them in a towel and just leave the leg you want sticking out - it's a two person job.

I would go to the vet again and ask them to show you and actually have a go while you're there so they can show you where you're going wrong. It's possible he's just more scared at the vet so lets them do it - we've found our girs will let you do a lot more to them (ie - lifting them up, checking them over etc) if they're on a high table rather than close to the ground.

there r 2 vets near my house, he has been to both vets (injections at one and then his castration at another!), so i have just phoned them and they actually do it for free so i am taking him there on friday. Poor little mylo, he hates the vets!

i have two bunnies. One that doesn't like being picked up so when you sit him on your knee he is very good and lets me just trim away. The other one (who does love being picked up) refuses to sit still and wiggles everywhere. i even tried wrapping her in a towel and sitting on the floor with her between my legs but it didn't work. I had to give in and ask the vet to do it when i get her vaccinated. it cost me £6!!! now as it is warmer she is back outside running on the concrete slabs so i am hoping it keeps her nails short like last year.

i have two bunnies. One that doesn't like being picked up so when you sit him on your knee he is very good and lets me just trim away. The other one (who does love being picked up) refuses to sit still and wiggles everywhere. i even tried wrapping her in a towel and sitting on the floor with her between my legs but it didn't work. I had to give in and ask the vet to do it when i get her vaccinated. it cost me £6!!! now as it is warmer she is back outside running on the concrete slabs so i am hoping it keeps her nails short like last year.

mylo isnt a fan of bein picked up, even when u pick him up and sit him on ur knee he runs away. He likes to be stroked and cuddled but u have to do it when he wants to!

Back