Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nail clipping advice

Default Nail clipping advice

Hi,

my rabbit needs his nails clippin but ive never done this before, i have bought some nail clippers and also a nail file for him. But whenever i try and lift him upside down he just wriggles and is makin it impossible. I can lift him onto his back but as soon as i bring him towards me he gets all panicky and its not fair on him. When we took him the vets a while ago she showed us how to do turn him onto his back but i just cant do it!

Can anyone offer any advice? Or is it best to take him to the vets and watch how they do it and try it again once we have seen them do it again? How much does it cost at the vets?

Mama Doe

I have never trimmed their nails but take them to the local pet/grooming store they only charge 3 each...think vet is about 5 each

the more i think about it the more i am considerin just takin him in the vets, i wont feel comfortable doin it and i dont wana keep panickin him!

I might just take him to the vets and then see how they do it and have another go myself, poor little fella! you would think he would just let me do it!

I take my buns to the vets for their nail clipping, I feel like a woos doing it but after cutting Sophies quick when she jumped suddenly and there was blood up the wall, I became too scared

I just walk in to the vets and say they are here for their manicure

Quote Originally Posted by Saucepot View Post
    I take my buns to the vets for their nail clipping, I feel like a woos doing it but after cutting Sophies quick when she jumped suddenly and there was blood up the wall, I became too scared

I just walk in to the vets and say they are here for their manicure
    oohh no i dont fancy blood being everywhere!! I might just pay the vet to do it to be on the safe side, especially that i am not 100% confident and mylos a little wriggler!!!

How much do you pay at the vets?

There are a few dog groomers round here, I'm sure they could have a go. Failing that, you could try a breeder, or someone who boards rabbits.
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

I don't turn mine upside down to do it....I just kind of sit them on their bums to do it.
    It does take 2 people though cause mine are fairly big.
    Can be horrible when you nick the quick, when I was up at Kris' we were clipping Pickle nails and he wriggled......looked like we had been butchering things in the kitchen
    I had to go and buy new clothes

Made by Lara <3
    A binkieing bun is a happy bun!

Binky free my naughty little Ollie Bobble. You will always be with me and I promise I will hold you again one day.

Please excuse any terrible typing....I havea weird rubber keyboard which is somewhat sticky

Alpha Buck

I get mine done at the vet - Tower Wood in Cookridge are great if you live anywhere near. They have a rabbit savvy vet Mr Marsden but they offer nail clipping for free (done by the nurses) for guinea pigs at least; possibly also for rabbits. I just had my two's nails done when they went in for jabs. Can't bear doing it myself.

Most local rescues would do them for you.

We do them for a small fee so I'm sure others would.
    Tracy
    Rabbit & Guinea Pig Boarding and Bonding
    http://www.rngp.org

My next fundraiser https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...ource=Facebook

I wrap penny up in a towel, and give her something scrummy to munch on, and then poke her diddy paws through the towel and trim them. She used to wriggle around quite alot, but she`s not as bad now. She still doesn`t love having it done though.
    Instead of trying to lay your bun on his back, you could try putting your buns back to your tummy, and put one arm around his tum whilst trying to hold the paw with your hand, then with your other hand try and clip his claws. (hope that made sence ) It is very fiddley but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. I have a guineapig with brown claws and i hate clipping them because you can`t see where the quick is. I clipped a bit too far back the other day and made his tiny toe bleed . But he was fine, he gave out a little squeek, but seemed fine after that.

goodnight penny, gone but never forgotten