• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decision made- hope you all approve

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Just been to look round the reclaimation yard in the next village and they do 6ft x 4ft playhouses for £5 per panel. Works out at £40 for the whole thing and they will deliver it for us for £5.

Going to get one for Snowdrop and put it on the other side of the patio. We thought about cutting down Strawberrys run (currently 11ft long) and giving her the end section but then her playhouse could only be 3ft by 4ft.

Given her medical problems I feel 6ft by 4ft of enclosed space is much better for her. She wont have an attached run but will get free range time on the garden every evening. She isn't an active bunny and I wouldnt want her sitting out in an attached run in bad weather. We will put two levels inside to increase her floor space.

What do people think?

My only concern would be how much playhouses heat up in the summer if she is in it all day with no run to get into :?

My only concern would be how much playhouses heat up in the summer if she is in it all day with no run to get into :?

We are going to mesh the windows so it has plenty of fresh air and put it on the shaded part of the patio. Do you think it will still get too warm? Is there anything else we can do to keep it cooler?

Strawberrys doesnt seem to get that hot at the minute.

We are going to mesh the windows so it has plenty of fresh air and put it on the shaded part of the patio. Do you think it will still get too warm? Is there anything else we can do to keep it cooler?

Strawberrys doesnt seem to get that hot at the minute.

Mine are really heating up at the moment even with mesh doors and windows :( They can easily reach over 30 degrees on a sunny day

Is the patio in shade all day?

Mine are really heating up at the moment even with mesh doors and windows :( They can easily reach over 30 degrees on a sunny day

Is the patio in shade all day?

The side of patio is would go on gets the sun from about 5pm onwards.

At the minute Snowdrop is inside and upstairs and it gets very warm up there. There are no windows on the landing or bathroom so she is getting no fresh air and very warm.

Do you think a smaller playhouse with a small attached run would be better than a bigger playhouse?

The side of patio is would go on gets the sun from about 5pm onwards.

At the minute Snowdrop is inside and upstairs and it gets very warm up there. There are no windows on the landing or bathroom so she is getting no fresh air and very warm.

Do you think a smaller playhouse with a small attached run would be better than a bigger playhouse?

Might be an idea. It gives a separate play area, too, which is more fun for the bun. :)

Is it possible to adapt what you are buying? For instance moving the front wall in so that you could then put a mesh panel across where the front would be .. then it would all have a roof over but there would be a much fresher area to go into.

It would all depend on how it fits together and where it's located as to whether it's worth it.

Is it possible to adapt what you are buying? For instance moving the front wall in so that you could then put a mesh panel across where the front would be .. then it would all have a roof over but there would be a much fresher area to go into.

It would all depend on how it fits together and where it's located as to whether it's worth it.

We could put a mesh door on and then a proper door infront so we could leave it open during the day.

I think I will twist the OH's arm and get a small run to attach to the side via cat flap. It would go onto the lawn and he didnt want to dig up grass and put down more slabs but I am sure I could convince him otherwise.

We could put a mesh door on and then a proper door infront so we could leave it open during the day.

I think I will twist the OH's arm and get a small run to attach to the side via cat flap. It would go onto the lawn and he didnt want to dig up grass and put down more slabs but I am sure I could convince him otherwise.

That sounds good :)

separate lawn run

We have a separate lawn run that we can place under trees or in sun or sheltered from wind or whatever. The roof is mesh, but we have wood panels to place on top for sun shade if needed. We use it daytime if there's no-one at home (our buns free-range in the day when someone's here). Not being attached to the hutch does increase your freedom.

If you need to keep bun in the playhouse in hot weather can you drape the playhouse in white? It does make a significant difference. The black or dark grey felt roofs just soak up heat from the sun and the plahouse will be very hot. Mesh windows help, but not on those very airless days when there's no breeze.

Putting large bottles of frozen water in helps too.

Good luck.

If you need to keep bun in the playhouse in hot weather can you drape the playhouse in white? It does make a significant difference. The black or dark grey felt roofs just soak up heat from the sun and the plahouse will be very hot. Mesh windows help, but not on those very airless days when there's no breeze.

Putting large bottles of frozen water in helps too.

Good luck.

:thumb: Good advice! On Wednesday our playhouse was just under 40 degrees - that's with mesh windows, mesh door and an attatched run. I soaked a sheet in water and draped it over the roof and it brought the temperature down quite a bit. I'm sure you can get lighter coloured felt now so we're going to get some of that and try it and I'm going to re-stain the playhouse in a lighter colour so hopefully that'll help too.

What about attaching a solar powered fan??

We're thinking about doing this in the new hutch .... you could attach the fan in the playhouse and box it in with mesh so it can't be got at ..... then all you need to do is cover the solar panel in winter so it doesn't come on when its cold.

What about attaching a solar powered fan??

We're thinking about doing this in the new hutch .... you could attach the fan in the playhouse and box it in with mesh so it can't be got at ..... then all you need to do is cover the solar panel in winter so it doesn't come on when its cold.

Wheer can you get those from? :wave:

Back