• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E. cuniculi

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
Ack! Cookie has potentially got an E.C. infection. She has a head tilt and had an eye infection, and an inner ear infection.

Took her to the vets immediately and have had a week of antibiotics (drops and oral) and ear drops to clear the ear infection. Went back to the vets and all the eye and ear infection seems to have cleared up but she still has a noticeable head tilt and her co-ordination is nowhere near what it was.

So had her blood taken so that she can be tested for EC and have been given more Panacur to treat her.

I know Panacur is a preventative rather than a cure but I was wondering if there is anything else we can do to help her get better. Our vet reckons that she probably has a cyst on her brain which would account for the torticolis.

Apart from the tilt and less nimble, she seems happy enough. She is eating and pooping and drinking normally. She still does bound about just not with as much agility.

What is the long term prognosis? How long will she live for if she has got an infection? Will it affect her life-span or are we talking months left?

Has she been on an anti-inflammatory too ?
It is inflammation within the CNS/Inner Ear that causes headtilt in both bacterial infection and EC.

Rabbits can lead a good quality life if they do have a permanent headtilt as a result of EC/bacterial infection.

ETA You may want to take a look at this thread :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=3810081&posted=1#post3810081

Not as yet, though I could ask this tomorrow. Are these steroids or are there alternatives? The only reason is that the steroids can suppress the immune system and so this could make the infection worse right?

Not as yet, though I could ask this tomorrow. Are these steroids or are there alternatives? The only reason is that the steroids can suppress the immune system and so this could make the infection worse right?

No, I dont mean steroids I mean a NON STEROIDAL anti-inflammatory eg Metacam.

Back