• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Candle Ceremony For Pets Lost During May 2010

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
The next Candle Ceremony will run for 24 hours from 8pm on Saturday 5th June.
If you have sadly lost a Pet during the month of May 2010 and you would like to post a special tribute to them on this thread please do so :)
Then at any time during the 24 hour Candle Ceremony we will light a candle and quietly remember those Pets who have passed away aswell as thinking of everyone feeling the pain of loss :cry:

csmay.jpg

We helped Lottie to the bridge on the 14th May.

She was a very special bun, who loved to throw toys at you and laze in the sunshine.

There isnt a day goes by that i dont think of her..

Sweet dreams my special cuddle girl....

SDC12808.jpg

:cry: :cry:

So many special buns lost this month, thinking of everyone :cry:

I would like Twinkle to be remembered please.

We love you so much gorgeous girl, we talk about you everday and miss you everyday. The pain has slowly eased, i hope with all my heart and soul that you are so happy now and pain free. That last cuddle you gave to me meant so much, i have not washed the top which is covered in your fur, i am not sure if i will ever be strong enough to. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

The size of your feet amazed us when we first got you!! Everyday you would give us kisses, right up until you met Dobbin. The memories we have of you are so strong and meaningful. Every person who comes to the house i make them look at your scrapbook which i did of you. :love::love::love::love:

No rabbit, however gorgeous, will ever take the place of you my darling.

Mummy, Daddy and Dobbin miss you everyday, we love you very very much. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxhugxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We helped our old-lady piggie Gidgit to the bridge on May 7th :cry:

She was such a fighter but it was time for her to popcorn at Rainbow Bridge with Squirt. Although we adopted 2 more girlies to keep Artoo company they haven't replaced our lovely black and tan girl.

Thinking of everyone else who has lost a special friend during May :(

Our beautiful Princess Pea (Suki) passed away after an operation on Friday the 14th of May. A very, very sad day for us, coping with the loss of our gorgeous, perfect 16 year old baby. Here's possibly the last picture we took of her.

I will be thinking of all of you who have had to suffer the loss of a wonderful family member on Saturday. x

I'll be remembering Nibbles, my little bunnycat.
RIP sweety. Binky free at the bridge with your husbun Bobby xx

Thank you Jane,I'll be thinking of my precious Gabbie who joined her best mate Sylvie on the 12th May :( miss them both so much it hurts.Can't believe I don't have a rabbit now :( thinking of everyone who lost their friends this month.

I have just fetched my prettiest candle from my bedroom. Shall be thinking of all those who have lost a beloved companion. x

Didn't realise there are 2 threads for the candle ceremony, I've put my tribute to Angel and Wild bun on the other thread :(

Florence Lavinia Evelyn
5th March 2005 – 12th May 2010

If I put this off and put this off in the hope that one day I’ll get every last word right, I’ll still be writing it when I’m seventy so here goes, four raw days later and this is my tribute to my favourite rabbit.

Some of you will know that Florence became our fourth rabbit after Nellie, Poppet and Elvis when I discovered the Continental Giant breed and decided I had to have one. We scoured the countries rescues in the hope of finding one but there were either none available or the rescue in question couldn’t rehome such a distance from their catchment area so we visited a local Giant breeder with what we felt were more than satisfactory credentials. She didn’t have any rabbits available when we visited but around four or five days later phoned to say she had a young female who wasn’t suitable for breeding and were we still interested. If Florence had had 5 ears, drank lager and swore like a trooper she’d have still been Blackpool bound (she didn’t)! As she was nine weeks old I gave her birth date as being the 5th of March 2005 and named her after my grandmother’s and mother’s middle name followed by their respective first names (a lot of thought goes into their names but she was always, always Florence).

We had her spayed quite quickly (I can’t remember exactly how old she was but remember the vet saying that a three month old rabbit wouldn’t be developed enough to be neutered and then watching his jaw drop that a rabbit already bigger than most adults should hop out of her carry box!) but bonding her with our existing three was difficult and uncomfortable to watch as she couldn’t twig that to be groomed meant her having to groom too. When Kitty came along (our French Lop) things did get easier and we eventually had five bonded rabbits.

She was, at one stage or another, pals with nearly all our other rabbits, especially BooBoo, Colleen and her long-term, final partner Adam. There are photos of her relaxing with so many big and small rabbits. She was definitely a rabbits’ rabbit.

On 27th July 2008 Florence created her own Facebook group (Florence The Giant Rabbit Appreciation Group) with a small amount of help from me with spelling and punctuation. I think it speaks volumes that the group has 120 members (which has actually gone up since she passed away.

Whether you are reading this on Rabbits United, Happy Hoppers or Facebook, chances are you’ll know me or Florence or both of us and there’s a good possibility you’ve already paid tribute to my favourite girl. I’d like to thank you. Obviously I miss her, have done already and will do for always. I watched her grow up and live and enjoy her life and saw her fighting for breath. In a way this feels so sudden and unfair but she had a life. She lived it. She enjoyed it. And I appreciated her in mine.

Florence passed away on the morning of the 12th of May 2010, 5 years, 2 months and 7 days after she was born. Or put another way, she spent exactly 5 years of her life enriching ours. There will never be another like Florence…

PS And to you Florence, I’m sure they have the internet at Rainbow Bridge and it will only be a matter of time before you read this. I hope you’ve met up with BooBoo, Colleen, Dylan, Elvis, Poppet and Stanley. May the grass always be green and plentiful, may carrots and bananas always be in abundance and may the hay be the very best. Goodbye, pretty girl, goodbye, Daddy’s girl. X

Neil

Florence Lavinia Evelyn
5th March 2005 – 12th May 2010

If I put this off and put this off in the hope that one day I’ll get every last word right, I’ll still be writing it when I’m seventy so here goes, four raw days later and this is my tribute to my favourite rabbit.

Some of you will know that Florence became our fourth rabbit after Nellie, Poppet and Elvis when I discovered the Continental Giant breed and decided I had to have one. We scoured the countries rescues in the hope of finding one but there were either none available or the rescue in question couldn’t rehome such a distance from their catchment area so we visited a local Giant breeder with what we felt were more than satisfactory credentials. She didn’t have any rabbits available when we visited but around four or five days later phoned to say she had a young female who wasn’t suitable for breeding and were we still interested. If Florence had had 5 ears, drank lager and swore like a trooper she’d have still been Blackpool bound (she didn’t)! As she was nine weeks old I gave her birth date as being the 5th of March 2005 and named her after my grandmother’s and mother’s middle name followed by their respective first names (a lot of thought goes into their names but she was always, always Florence).

We had her spayed quite quickly (I can’t remember exactly how old she was but remember the vet saying that a three month old rabbit wouldn’t be developed enough to be neutered and then watching his jaw drop that a rabbit already bigger than most adults should hop out of her carry box!) but bonding her with our existing three was difficult and uncomfortable to watch as she couldn’t twig that to be groomed meant her having to groom too. When Kitty came along (our French Lop) things did get easier and we eventually had five bonded rabbits.

She was, at one stage or another, pals with nearly all our other rabbits, especially BooBoo, Colleen and her long-term, final partner Adam. There are photos of her relaxing with so many big and small rabbits. She was definitely a rabbits’ rabbit.

On 27th July 2008 Florence created her own Facebook group (Florence The Giant Rabbit Appreciation Group) with a small amount of help from me with spelling and punctuation. I think it speaks volumes that the group has 120 members (which has actually gone up since she passed away.

Whether you are reading this on Rabbits United, Happy Hoppers or Facebook, chances are you’ll know me or Florence or both of us and there’s a good possibility you’ve already paid tribute to my favourite girl. I’d like to thank you. Obviously I miss her, have done already and will do for always. I watched her grow up and live and enjoy her life and saw her fighting for breath. In a way this feels so sudden and unfair but she had a life. She lived it. She enjoyed it. And I appreciated her in mine.

Florence passed away on the morning of the 12th of May 2010, 5 years, 2 months and 7 days after she was born. Or put another way, she spent exactly 5 years of her life enriching ours. There will never be another like Florence…

PS And to you Florence, I’m sure they have the internet at Rainbow Bridge and it will only be a matter of time before you read this. I hope you’ve met up with BooBoo, Colleen, Dylan, Elvis, Poppet and Stanley. May the grass always be green and plentiful, may carrots and bananas always be in abundance and may the hay be the very best. Goodbye, pretty girl, goodbye, Daddy’s girl. X

Neil

A very fine tribute to a very fine Rabbit xx

Back