• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rapid Weightloss - Tried everything, running out of ideas!!

hey

have a 5 and half year old bunny that is on life long sub cut injections of pencilian for oestomelitis of the jaw since Oct 2009 but he hasnt been well for the last few weeks mainly his weight problem, always use to weigh around the 3kg mark but in 6 weeks he now only weighs 2kgs, it may not sound much but its very stressing to see, he eats and poops normally and urinates normally and is of normal colour and concistency, Hes been back and forth to the vets and we cant get to the bottom of it, vet is heading towards liver or possibly kidney failure but without blood work (expensive) am hitting a brick wall, ive treated him for worms as hes never been wormed since ive had him.

He had a dental done 5 weeks ago and a vein that runs along his tooth go knicked and lost some blood but seem to have pulled back from this, but his appetite was very up and down.

Hes an active bunny and always into mischief, ive spent alot of money in vet fees up to now. and im going to book an appointment tomorrow as the vet told me to change his food to build him up but this is worrying me as im fighting a osing battle. He doesnt seem to be in pain otherwise he'd stop eating altogether.

Just wondered if someone could help me??

On examination of his rear end he has a build up of stickly brown liquid in between his testes.. Is this Normal?? Also he flitched when i exposed his penis!!

Sorry for all the questions but im really worried that im gonna have to PTS him

I would suggest getting a full blood profile done as he has lost a huge amount of weight.

The 'brown liquid' between his testes *might* be impacted scent glands but without seeing it I cant say for sure.

Is his penis sore looking ?

Is he on any pain relief ? Osteomyelitis is painful.

Thanks for getting back to me, no his penis looks normal colour no redness or blood anywhere. The weightloss is an issue

Hes on no pain medication and has done well without, only time i saw him grinding was when he had a sharp spur on a back molar but when that was sorted, Never seen him do it again. He has 3 monthly check ups on the use of penicilain and never had the abcess come back.

Because hes lost weight am worried hes not warm enough outside, ive piled loads of hay in his sleeping quarters which gets topped up as he eats it down.

sooo worried about him, his weight was checked in beg march and was 3kg and then 4 weeks after it had dropped to 2.5kg as i mentioned to the vet that he had looked like he lost weight. Then i went back 2weeks after and then weighed 2.25kg. Currently on Pancure and one day 7 so far, i was told to do 9 days, i didnt get Pancure from vets. Am trying everything. The vet doesnt want to see me for another month but im too worried now!!!

on his one back leg looks like hes peeing on himself never done this before, do you think i shud try and collect a pee sample and take it to the vets??

:( I'm sorry I dont really know what to suggest, are you giving unlimited pellets? I would guess that is the easiest way to help him gain weight. And maybe alfalfa hay? But I would double check that with someone else first because I know it is bad for them.

Can you move him inside, might be easier to keep him warm and to monitor him?

Sorry I haven't really got any advice :( sending vibes for you xxxxx

Thanks for getting back to me, no his penis looks normal colour no redness or blood anywhere. The weightloss is an issue

Hes on no pain medication and has done well without, only time i saw him grinding was when he had a sharp spur on a back molar but when that was sorted, Never seen him do it again. He has 3 monthly check ups on the use of penicilain and never had the abcess come back.

Because hes lost weight am worried hes not warm enough outside, ive piled loads of hay in his sleeping quarters which gets topped up as he eats it down.

sooo worried about him, his weight was checked in beg march and was 3kg and then 4 weeks after it had dropped to 2.5kg as i mentioned to the vet that he had looked like he lost weight. Then i went back 2weeks after and then weighed 2.25kg. Currently on Pancure and one day 7 so far, i was told to do 9 days, i didnt get Pancure from vets. Am trying everything. The vet doesnt want to see me for another month but im too worried now!!!

on his one back leg looks like hes peeing on himself never done this before, do you think i shud try and collect a pee sample and take it to the vets??

I would suggest getting the bloodwork done. The symptoms you are describing do point to the *possibility* of Liver failure.
Whilst he may not be showing obvious signs of pain he may have low grade chronic pain and this can cause weightloss.

What does he eat and how much ?

am monitoring his weight on a daily basis as his hovering at 2kg, ive given him as much pellet food as possible and greens anything that hes willing to eat.

I dont know what to do and keep getting upset over it...hes a rescue and had him since 15 weeks old and done so well coming through many things in his little life.. can't believe how lively he is despite his troubles.

Getting the bloodwork done would give the Vet a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Was his Dental done under GA ?

Yeah his dental was done under a GA

His food in take is unlimited amount of hay, some greens either rocket, watercress, carrot and 1 bowl of dry complete pellets. Eats more during the night than by day.

Would bloodloss during his dental contributed to Liver Failure.

Ring Vets first thing in morning for vet appointment.

Thanks for your time and let you know the outcome.

If he was my bun I would want him on daily pain relief for osteomyelitis - it is an incredibly painful condition. Combined ongoing chronic pain and a sore mouth (post dental) could mean that he is not eating as much as he needs to maintain weight which is clearly the case and this alone can lead to liver issues... or it could be as a result of the penicillin, or both, or something else going on.
It depends how much blood he lost during his dental? If it was a substantial amount it may have put an extra strain on his system and made him slightly anaemic, but it all depends how well his kidneys and liver are functioning to replace lost circulating volume.
I really do think your bun needs pain relief.... but obviously if there is kidney/liver damage his tolerance for these will be less which is why having bloods done is so important.
Good luck with your appointment. :)

hi all

thanks for all your kind replies, i have an appointment booked tomorrow evening and ive managed to collect a urine sample for testing tomorrow.

i just want to know what we are dealing with.

He was diagnosed with Osteomelitis of the jaw back in september 2009 after an abcess under a tooth which was removed and he done well with 48hr injections of pencilian sub c (under the skin) and he 3 monthly check ups and done well, upon until he had a dental in March. I will mention this to the vet tomorrow when i see her as our ususal vet is away and i cant wait for his return.

weighed him today at he still staying at 2kg and has his day 9 dose of pancure on friday but unsure if i should continue for 28days??

Back