• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Lucy's bloat ...

Stephy

Alpha Buck
.... took another day off work today to look after my little girl. Although she pooed last night she didn't do any more, although she was definitely brighter. So back to vet this morning for more gut stimulant, and also I was given liquid parafin to give her orally, just one dose. Within an hour of her being home she passed quite a lot of strange looking poos, although still not eating hardly anything.

Have been giving her Infacol, bio-lapis and pureed pellets which she took ok, although fighting with me (yippee, she didn't do that yesterday!) Keeping a very close eye on her, just need her to eat more than a nibble of a leaf by herself (saw her drink from water bottle for first time a little while ago tho).

If anyone has any spare vibes, please send them to my baby. Thanks. :)

Lots of vibes for Lucy, I hope she starts eating properly soon.

Come on Lucy, eat your nom noms for your Mummy!xx

Just read on here about blackberry leaves so went up garden and got some, and some raspberry leaves for good measure ..... Lucy practically snatched them out my hand! She's obviously bored of apple leaves :D

I hope she continues to improve.
Not sure I'd be happy about giving the LP though :?

Has she had some pain relief today ?

I hope she continues to improve.
Not sure I'd be happy about giving the LP though :?

Has she had some pain relief today ?

Thanks :) The LP is supposed to aid movement with its 'oily' qualities. Yes she's had oral metacam this morning and this evening.

Thanks :) The LP is supposed to aid movement with its 'oily' qualities. Yes she's had oral metacam this morning and this evening.

My Vet prefers to hydrate the guts (oral/SQ/IV fluids) rather than use LP which can coat dry ingesta with oil and thus make it impossible to hydrate any imapcted matter.

LP can be useful for caecal impaction after at least 12 hours of intensive fluid therapy.

Scroll down to ' Intestinal motility stimulants' on here

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/GastricStasis_Rabbits.html

I hope Lucy is well on the way to recovery now :)

Hi everyone :wave: thanks for asking about Lucy. Had to come to work today, she was fairly perky when I left, has been pooing. My other half has had strict instructions to keep an eye on her ..... spoke to him about 2 hours ago and he said he'd update me ........... guess what, now I can't get hold of him!!! :censored::censored:

Back