• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ill rolling/hunched rabbit :(

esupi

Warren Veteran
Hi.

We have two Netherland Dwarf house rabbits. This morning, one of them started acting oddly flopping and rolling around - basically doing a 'bunny flop' over and over. She was then laying fully stretched out, which is abnormal behaviour for her (the other one does this, but this one usually sits in a ball). Moreover, she didn't even move when I approached her in this position and just let me stroke her (normally neither of them do this). Then, whilst laying stretched out, she started circling round with her back legs - it looked like she was trying to get up but her back legs wouldn't support her. However, all of this lasted maybe 10 minutes, then I let them out for a run around the lounge and she was running around just as normal. She did not eat any breakfast though.

Took her to the vet shortly after posting - better to be safe than sorry I thought. As predicted, she exhibited totally normal behaviour at the vets (struggling, trying to escape, generally misbehaving!).
She is 15 months old, and no tilted head.
We don't pay that much attention to the garden, so fertilisers/pesticides are not possible. In fact, we recently stripped out most of the plants so it was really easy to keep them away from the few remaining while they were out. All I can think is that there might have been something growing in the grass that she could have eaten.

Took her to the vets, and the vet couldn't pinpoint anything obvious. We've been given an antibiotic to give her for a week, and a wormer for both bunnies. Vet said to keep an eye on her, and if she's not eating by tomorrow to take her back in. She was drinking water though, which is good, I think. She seemed fine when I took her home after the vets, but I had to leave her to come to work. Since I got home she has been hunched up grinding her teeth under her tunnel (she never normally hides) and I've noticed orange stains (wee?) on her back feet so she's not grooming.

Should I just give her the antibiotics and take her back to the vet tomorrow, or does she need to go now? Never had a sick bunny before, so any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.

esupi

Hi.

We have two Netherland Dwarf house rabbits. This morning, one of them started acting oddly flopping and rolling around - basically doing a 'bunny flop' over and over. She was then laying fully stretched out, which is abnormal behaviour for her (the other one does this, but this one usually sits in a ball). Moreover, she didn't even move when I approached her in this position and just let me stroke her (normally neither of them do this). Then, whilst laying stretched out, she started circling round with her back legs - it looked like she was trying to get up but her back legs wouldn't support her. However, all of this lasted maybe 10 minutes, then I let them out for a run around the lounge and she was running around just as normal. She did not eat any breakfast though.

Took her to the vet shortly after posting - better to be safe than sorry I thought. As predicted, she exhibited totally normal behaviour at the vets (struggling, trying to escape, generally misbehaving!).
She is 15 months old, and no tilted head.
We don't pay that much attention to the garden, so fertilisers/pesticides are not possible. In fact, we recently stripped out most of the plants so it was really easy to keep them away from the few remaining while they were out. All I can think is that there might have been something growing in the grass that she could have eaten.

Took her to the vets, and the vet couldn't pinpoint anything obvious. We've been given an antibiotic to give her for a week, and a wormer for both bunnies. Vet said to keep an eye on her, and if she's not eating by tomorrow to take her back in. She was drinking water though, which is good, I think. She seemed fine when I took her home after the vets, but I had to leave her to come to work. Since I got home she has been hunched up grinding her teeth under her tunnel (she never normally hides) and I've noticed orange stains (wee?) on her back feet so she's not grooming.

Should I just give her the antibiotics and take her back to the vet tomorrow, or does she need to go now? Never had a sick bunny before, so any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.

esupi

She needs to go back to the Vet straight away. Tooth grinding indicates severe pain and it appears she was not given any analgesia this morning.

It sounds as though she requires hospitalisation for intensive care
This certainly cannot wait til tomorrow

Thanks guys - have been back to the vets and got pain meds and Truffle now seems more relaxed.
And - she has eaten 1 sprig of hay! :)
fingers crossed...

no - no idea about the pain. or what's caused the rolling around! I guess we just keep an eye on her now..

Do you have her indoors ?
You will need to monitor her throughout the night to make sure that she is eating and drinking and that should she have more rolling episodes she does not injure herself.

How bizarre, I assume they checked for obstruction, teeth, bottom etc Maybe she had trapped wind ? I hope she will be alright, I would be keeping a very very close eye on her though and check her ears to ensure she is warm, maybe some nice fragrant herbs like basil and flat leaf parsley might be tempting for her. Lots of tlc in order for this little lady I think :)

well - bizarrely, Truffle seemed almost completely normal as soon as we got back from the vets! maybe whatever had caused her to roll around in the morning had left some residual pain, which was then taken care of by the vet? She seems fine this morning too - eating, running around etc, so I guess we need to wait and see how she's doing this evening now after the pain meds have worn off.
Fingers crossed, and thanks for all your advice!

esupi.

Back