• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inca has an abscess on front foot - UPDATE - back from Vets.

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
I was giving the babies their food, when Inca done some runny poo on the carpet, so i picked her up to check her botty and noticed something on her front foot.

I touched it and the pus literally burst all over my hand - yukkkk!!!!!!!

So i cleaned it out with dilute iodine and i think i got all the pus out, it was bleeding a bit.

I tried to put some manuka honey in it, then i put a wee sock on her foot, but when i put her down she just took the sock off and licked the honey off :(

I have the vets with her at 3.20pm, but just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

If you imagine a human hand, the abscess would be at the side inbetweeen the thumb and next finger.

She is on baytril & metacam at the moment for unrelated stuff, so is there even anything else that she can get?

Last edited:
Poor Inca, it's good that it's burst though (not that it was on your hand though :shock:) and you've got most of it out. Was it really thick pus though, like toothpaste? If not it might not have been an actual abscess?

He definitely needs to see the vet though as they will prob want to check it's not spread to the bone. Then they can give him depocillin injections, Joe had those for a few months for an abscess behind his eye and it was successfully eradicated so fingers crossed they will be able to treat it.

Poor Inca, it's good that it's burst though (not that it was on your hand though :shock:) and you've got most of it out. Was it really thick pus though, like toothpaste? If not it might not have been an actual abscess?

He definitely needs to see the vet though as they will prob want to check it's not spread to the bone. Then they can give him depocillin injections, Joe had those for a few months for an abscess behind his eye and it was successfully eradicated so fingers crossed they will be able to treat it.

Thanks,
The pus was thick, not just as thick as when my Kermit had an abscess in his face.

The hole that it came out of looked just the same.

I'll deffo be getting her checked anyways, just lucky that i'm off work today!

Oh no, sending loads of vibes.

If you do need to keep a sock on her for any reason ( although I am not sure this would be good for an abscess :? ) taping a piece of micropore tape loosely round the top works quite well :)

Thats me been to the vets, well i was back earlier, but have been out.

The vet said that it just looked like it was the early stages of an abscess, and i probably caught it in time so it hasnt gotten into the bone.
She said i managed to clean it up well :)

So my wee Inca is ok, hopefully, although to look at her just now you would think she was ill as she is in the huff with me for cleaning her foot earlier!!

Thats great news!! :) I'm sure he'll get over his huff soon, just bribe him with some treats. He's one lucky bunny ;)

Thats me been to the vets, well i was back earlier, but have been out.

The vet said that it just looked like it was the early stages of an abscess, and i probably caught it in time so it hasnt gotten into the bone.
She said i managed to clean it up well :)

So my wee Inca is ok, hopefully, although to look at her just now you would think she was ill as she is in the huff with me for cleaning her foot earlier!!

Glad it sounds like it will heal well :) well done for noticing it so soon :)

Back