• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudocrem

Becca24

Mama Doe
is it safe to use on buns??

Pip has a section of his ear missing which makes it a funny shape and I think he may have caught it whilst scratching or somthing as the edge has a tiny red nick and I wondred if I could put a small amount of sudocrem on it to help heal and prevent it from getting infected or anything but wanted to check I could first.

The vet said we could use Sudocrem on our dog, but I didn't ask about rabbits. Vaselines ok, tho, to keep dirt out as a temporary measure.

Hi

We used Sudocream on Twinkles feet, we were told to do so by the vets, no problems at all.

Sue
xx

Fine for buns buns :) Had to use on my poor Tabbys chin once when she dribbled and it went smelly and a bit sore.

i think its safe but i was advised to use savlon instead by my vet because its not as thick and gooey and disappears better so is less likely to be licked by a partner bunny.

bloke at work sprays iodine onto any little scratches or cuts that are not serious enough to need a vet :D

Yeh, I too have found Sudocrem ok. I'm not sure I would use it in this instance though. I'd probably bathe with cooled boiled water (or saline), or if it was looking really nasty, dilute iodine.

Hope it heals quickly whatever you decide to do :)

I used Sudocrem on Charlie... Worked great on his sore hocks.
Only thing with it being on an easy to reach body part is that you'd have to keep a really close eye on bunny for a good long time as it takes a long time to soak in... So I agree I would see if you have some of the other things suggested unless you have a lot of time to stare rabbits :lol:

Havent used anything so far as not sure its actually a scratch now, look more like a blood blister type thing! So may be another trip to vets! :(

Might get some pics of it in case someone knows what it might be, its just a small area on the edge of his ear where the chunk is missing that is red not open or bleeding just red, like the blood is under the skin! :?:?:?

Back