• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw trimming

serendipity

Warren Scout
Do you cut your rabbits claws yourself? I know we did as children and that you cut cut below the vein (with proper rabbit clippers).

Am wondering whether anyone does their own rabbits and has any advice?

I think we put cornflour on them if they ever moved quickly and bled but that was very rare - or am I imagining cornflour? Seems a bit odd now.

Hi - I clip the bunnies' claws myself, with the help of my partner pinning them down! :lol: (or vice versa) I must admit it's not my favourite job and some bunnies are easier to do than others. If the claws are a light colour then it's fairly easy to see where you should cut (yes, with proper, sharp clippers) i.e. above the vein, however if the bunny wriggles at the wrong moment, accidents can easily happen. I've had a couple of 'incidents' with my buns, and have found that holding a piece of kitchen paper and pressing hard for a minute or so does the trick to stop any blood flow (that stops quicker than the feeling of guilt :oops: ) Occasionally I'll get the vet to do it if the bunny is there for a vaccination anyway :wave:

Do you cut your rabbits claws yourself? I know we did as children and that you cut cut below the vein (with proper rabbit clippers).

I think we put cornflour on them if they ever moved quickly and bled but that was very rare - or am I imagining cornflour? Seems a bit odd now.

We were advised to use talcum powder for bleeding when cutting claws. We cut the g pig claws regularly, but the buns are so active they seem to be keeping their own claws down (thank goodness!)

Above the vein- if in doubt leave extra space and cut more often. Buns nails shouldn't bleed, if cut above the vein, which it the right place to cut. I do cut myself. I use towels, persuasion, gentle talking, firmness and pray that they will sit still for enough time for me to do them. Sometimes i have to come back to them so not to cause them distress if they don't want it doing the first time. Last thing i want to do is have a bunny with a negative association to having it's nails clipped. If in doubt, take to the vets- i always do if i'm having any issues.

you can put cornflour on, a styptic (sp?) pencil is also good. Piggies will never lose enough blood to warrant a serious situation, and I think rabbits are the same.

Thanks, and another thing. Two of my bunnies have short claws, it's just the female whose claws have grown. She has babies at the moment and so obviously isn't roaming in the open in the same way as I can't leave her hutch open. Is it likely they will file down when she is roaming again or is is necessary for me to cut them myself?

I do ours. They arn't difficult apart from Nutmeg who has black claws and struggles like hell. I did hers a few days ago and it took me an hour. I actually find it easier with her to sit in an armchair with her and do it myself, she gets more stressed with two people. After a while she settles and lets me do them. The other three are quite easy.

i have a white rabbit with black claws go figure eh :roll::lol:

I do mine mostly by myself with the aid of a towel need a muzzle for carrie though as she managed to whip her head round and bite my shoulder the lil minx last time i did her claws

But everytime im at vets i do ask them anyways as they dont charge to do it,

I'm gonna ask the vet when I go :lol: far too much of a wimp to do them myself, I hated doing my daughters so a rabbits will be worse :lol:

I do my bunnies nails myself, but usually need someone to hold them as they aren't very good at sitting still. One of mine has to be wrapped in a towel with it over her head & then she isn't to wriggly. Unfortunately she is the one with black nails, so I always have cornflour on hand just incase I cut one too short.

Twinkle & Star have white claws so we tend to try to do theirs ourselves, although their run is on concrete so they tend to stay fairly well worn anyway.

Starbuck and Fay are harder since their nails are black, and they both wriggle as soon as we get the clippers on their claws - so for this reason I tend to ask the vet or vet nurse to do them.

Back