• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help!! i have a unexpected baby/s !!

hi,
i am hopeing someone can help me??
the strangest thing has happened and i am not sure what to do.
i have 3 female rabbits who have been together for about 1 year. they all live happily together and are the best of friends...but i went out to feed and clean their cage about 1 hour ago and discovered 2 dead baby bunnies on the bottom level of their cage (their cage is on 5 levels!!) at first i was totally shocked as i had no idea any of them were expecting and i do not have a male rabbit and they have not been in contact at all with any other rabbits (i definately have 3 females also plus i have had them all together for over a year so if one was male, not that any are , but if one was, then this would have happened sooner)
anyway i am totally gobsmacked as i have no idea at all how on earth thids has possibly happened.....then i was sad coz the 2 babies had died :cry:
so i went to continue to clean them out and i discovered in one of the boxes underneath some straw, a little nest full of fur....i didnt know what to do as i assumed the babies had died anyhow then the nest started to move!!!!! so there are obvioulsy another baby in there!!
i have never had baby bunnies before and i do not know what to do!!
ihave heard if u touch them then the mum could kill or even eat the baby/s?? so now i am so so worried inj case i have disturbed them??....i also have no idea which of my rabbits have had the babies.....so i dont know weather to remove the other rabbits in case they hurt the baby but i dont know who remove as i dont even know who is the mum !!
and i was going to clean the cage out but now i dont know if i can?? and i have no idea when to seperate the baby from mum in case its male??....i have tried to re-search on the net but i cant seem to locate the info i am after...
please can someone help......there were no babies when i went to bed last night so they must have only been born within about the last 12 hours.
many thanks.
xx

Firstly, check over all 3 rabbits to see if any have testicles. They will look like bald lumps of flesh near the bum hole. Take Dad out if you can definitely identify him. If none have testicles, is it possible that your rabbits can get out of the garden, or a wild rabbit could get in?

The best thing is to leave mum to raise the baby/babies herself. Make sure that you close off any ramps, etc, that the baby could fall down.

You can check on the baby/babies as long as you do it quickly and make sure that you rub scent on your hands from the hutch before you handle them. You will need to remove any more dead babies from the nest if you find any.

Mum will need extra food. Try mixing in some Junior or Breeder pellets in with her normal food (they contain extra protein which is good for milk production).

Good luck :)

wow what a shock for you, I can't help but wanted to say I hope all the rabbits, and baby/s are ok

and I have heard numerous stories of people thinking they have one sex to find it's another

all of my rabbits are female....for definate...thats why its so strange.
my garden is fully enclosed so no one / thing can get in and nothing can get out.
i also live in a housing estate so no wild rabbits near me.....i just do not understand how this has happened as my rabbits have not come into any contact with any other rabbits at all.
and they have all been together for over a year so its not like one was preg before i got it as i read the gestation period is only approx 30 days....
i have blocked the ramp like u suggested but i am worried incase one of the other females may hurt the baby/s??
i am so worried that if i touch them it will make the mum reject or eat them?? how do i make for sure i dont leave my scent at all??
many thanks.
xx

If your rabbits have had no contact with any other rabbit, one (or two) of yours MUST be male. They were probably becoming sexually mature as the weather got cold, so haven't mated until this spring. If your rabbits have been properly sexed by someone who knows a pair of nuts when they see them, and they are definitely all female, then I'm guessing mummy bun is called Mary?

I can't help either, but I hope the mummy bunny and the remaining babies are all ok. It's impossible for a bun to just become pregnant (although if she has you coud find your back garden the centre of some sort of religious miracle pilgramage situation lol) so another male must have got in somehow or else one of them must be a boy, if the hutch really is completely secure, which it sounds like it is or else you would probably have found one of your three wandering aboit in the garden before now, then i really do think that one of them is a boy, it can be really hard to tell expecially when they're younger, a friend of mine was told hers was a girl and even the vet confirmed it, it was only months later when she went to get "her" spayed that it was discovered that she was in fact a he :?

Right, this keeps happening to me too - clearly lots of vets sex bunnies wrong!

One of yours must be male.

Don't worry about handling the babies, I've handled ours from very young.

Can you get a vet to visit?

Obviously you need the male out but it will be too late now as she will be pregnant again.

ohh dear - have you personally had all 3 spayed?? or are you relying on info told to you about your rabbits??

as you are fully aware it is impossible for 3 females to get pregnant!! - there must be a male in the midst somewhere!!!
Good Luck - what a terrible and shocking situation x

if there is 2 does and a buck there may be more babies very soon and more after that!
i must admit i find this very strange and must be baffleing for you......:?
say they are all does (which i hope they are) would it of been possible for a wildie to of done it through the mesh??
it does sound strange how they have been together for a year and no babies before now? :? but i could be wrong!

they were all sexed by a vet as female so i obviously took a 'professionals' word for it....so as far as i was concerned, they were all definately female....you tend to take a vets word for truth and dont expect them to be wrong....and still no 'obvious' male amongst the 3 although i havent taken them to be checked again (it will cost me £25.99 !!)
they do go out in the garden but my garden is secure.....the only possible thing i can think of is somehow , although i do not know how, a male has got in??....its not that is the problem now reall though...i am more concerned now about what to do next??.....when can the babies be touched??....when do i take the male babies away from mum so the male baby/s cant get her preg again??, when are they ready to be re-homed etc??
many thanks for your help.
xx

Where abouts are you, there may be someone from here who lives local to you who is experienced in sexing rabbits who may be able to help you and confirm what sexes your rabbits are. Once you have this information you may then be able to make an informed decision about what to do with regard to separating your rabbits.

Sadly not all vets, breeders and pet shops are acccurate in their sexing of baby rabbits which can lead to people ending up with unexpected litters.

When I first got my 4 buns the vet sexed them as 2 boys and 2 girls, but did warn me that they would need checking again. When they had their jabs a couple of weeks later we found they were all boys.

Good luck with the babies, and finding which bun is the daddy.

The problem is if the male is still in there then you're going to have a lot more babies soon. ...something that will cost you FAR more than £26 to sex them. :? Maybe someone on here can help you by coming and sexing for you. :)

Have you worked out which one is the mum? You must be absolutely CERTAIN of this, but when you are you'll need to seperate all the adults into different cages/hutches, to stop anybun else getting pregnant (leave kits in with mum obviously). You can then take the other 2 to the vets to have them sexed and 'done'. Where about do you live? There is bound to be a decent vets near you that we can recommend.

Back