• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried about Belle - Please help!

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
Hiya :wave:

I'm a little worried about Belle.She's three years old and other than a couple of dentals has always been in really good health up until recently. She has recently been losing a little weight and the vet put that down to her recent need for a dental. The thing that is really worrying me in the fact that she seems to be struggling to control her bladder. I thought she was just getting a little lazy with the litter tray but over the last couple of weeks when you go to pick her up she wees everywhere. There are little pools of wee all around her enclosure and I;m starting to think there could be a problem. Also, she seems to be a little 'lower' around her back end. She is using her back legs but her back end just seems to be closer to the floor and when she moves, it's like it heavy if you know what I mean. Her tail is beginning to become stained because of her weeing and I'm starting to think that she is struggling to life her tail.

She was myxi'ed last monday and I mentioned these issues to the vet who recommended a 9 day course of Panacur which she is now 7 days into.

Her and her bonded fella are about to move outside in their new outdoor enclosure this week but i'm unsure what to do.

Do you think it would be worth taking her back to the vets and asking for bloods? Any thoughts/help/advice/possible diagnosis's would be really appreciated.

Lisa xx

I think I'd want her and her partner to be on Panacur for at least 28 days.
Has a urine sample been tested for infection ?
Is she drinking more than usual ?

sounds like classic symptoms of e-cunniculi, which can be halted although not reversed by worming with panacur, which your vet has given you BUT it needs to be at least a 28 day course, and her partner also needs treating too. Hope she's better soon :)

sending her loads of vibes xxxx

i think i would go back and ask for blood tests. they can test for EC too because Alvin recently had that test himself.

I think I'd want her and her partner to be on Panacur for at least 28 days.
Has a urine sample been tested for infection ?
Is she drinking more than usual ?

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that you had responded Jane! :love:

There has been no urine test at the mo. She has always been a big drinker to be honest so I haven't noticed a particularly significant increase recently. But in comparison to my other pairs, their bowl tends to disappear more quickly! I think i'll give the vets a call and book her in. Will her incontinence be an issue when moving her outside?

Aww thanks for such quick responses everyone! :love:

I'm gonna give the vets a ring I think. See if they can do some tests so we definitely know what we are dealing with.

To be honest, all the buns live in quite close quarters so I might panacur everyone for 28 days. Will this be a good idea? Anyone know where I can get it in bulk?!

Lisa

I dont think I'd be moving her anywhere atm :?
A new environment, however nice, will be a stress inducer and I'd not want to risk exacerbating a not-yet-diagnosed problem.

If you do opt for blood tests then aswell as EC titres I'd also request a FBP to check major organ function etc.

A new environment, however nice, will be a stress inducer and I'd not want to risk exacerbating a not-yet-diagnosed problem.

If you do opt for blood tests then aswell as EC titres I'd also request a FBP to check major organ function etc.

I'd buy the Panacur 10% Liquid. It'll be much more economical. The dose rate is 0.2ml/kg/day for 28 days.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/worming-prod...panacur-10-x-100ml-liquid-for-cats-dogs-p-175

You need to insure that the environment is bleach cleaned on days 21 and 28 of treatment. As EC spores are shed in the urine minimising the risk of anyBun ingesting urine soiled hay etc is essential. Grass runs should not be used as EC spores remain viable outside of the host for up to 30 days. Mice are vectors of EC so make sure you dont have a Mouse problem in your sheds/hutches etc.

That's why she isn't outside. I don't want to change anything until I know what is going on. I've just phoned my vets and they are on emergencies only today. They have said to take her down today but usually as she is showing no signs of pain or lack of eating etc, I would usually wait until tomorrow. Would this be ok or shall I take her down today?

Lisa

That's why she isn't outside. I don't want to change anything until I know what is going on. I've just phoned my vets and they are on emergencies only today. They have said to take her down today but usually as she is showing no signs of pain or lack of eating etc, I would usually wait until tomorrow. Would this be ok or shall I take her down today?

Lisa

I would wait til tomorrow as long as she is eating and pooing OK. They probably wouldn't take bloods today anyway as they need to be sent off to a Vetlab and I doubt that they'd have a courier on a Bank Holiday, the lab may not be open either.

It sounds like EC to me too.
Hopefully you have caught it early and have started the panacur nice and early, which should minimise, if not halt, the damage.

We have a conti giant that was bought to us around 6-8 weeks ago with total rear end paralysis, which was determined most likely be EC by the vet.

He had been in this state for several weeks before he came to us as the owner couldn't handle him to get the Panacur down him.

His recovery has been slow, but he is managing to keep himself dry and clean, and whilst he drags himself for the majority of the time he has started to sit up as normal, and he is starting to show signs of recovery.

I agree with the other posters that getting tested asap is important along with the Panacur, and steroids or anti inflams if there is further deterioration.

I went to the vets - I can't stand the waiting. The vet felt her all over and said that her kidneys and other internal organs felt fine - no lumps and bumps or any swellings. She said it could potentially be EC. She took a urine sample and she said there was a bit of blood and protein in her wee so she is treating Belle atm for a urine infection. Baytril and metacam for 5 days and continue the course of panacur she's already on. She said if there is no improvement then take her back and they will investigate further. She seemed pretty happy with her diagnosis. Just as happy as i'll be if that's the case! :D

Back