• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My daughter patted rabbit with snuffles, then rabbit without

We have a dutch rabbit we suspect has snuffles/pasteurella. He has been on Baytril a week and a half and is still sneezing. We have kept him separated from our other two bunnies and he has never had contact with them. Well today my toddler patted him with my supervision and as I was taking her to wash her hands in the other room she quick stuck her hand in our 8 week old rabbits cage and patted her. I almost had a heart attack. We were suppose to be rehoming her today but now I don't know what to do. I bought her off of a classified hoping to stop her from being sold at a fair. Is their any chance she will not get snuffles or is she a lost cause, should I cancel the rehoming? Thanks fir your advice!

I've had a bunny with snuffles.
She was living with 4 other rabbits at the time and none of them contracted it.

Thanks for your response, it makes me feel less stressed out. Do you know if dogs can catch Pasteurella/snuffles from a rabbit? I know the family that wants to adopt her has dogs. Thanks again!

One would hope the dog would not be allowed to put it's face close enough to bunny's to catch any infection! ;)

Snuffles is a collective name for upper respiratory infections in rabbits, very often there is more than one pathogen present (bacteria). Some bacteria will be host-specific and others will be across the board as it were - such as staph A, strep, MRSA etc.. all of which inhabit our respiratory membranes also.
As Spider explained, contact to contact can occur without any transmission of infection because most of us, rabbits etc. carry these bacteria anyway in our noses, mouths etc.. and they are kept under control by our immune systems. Infections only get hold when mucosal membranes are breached - i.e when immunity is unable to control the pathogen e.g. when immunity is under parr such as post-operatively, stress, psychological shock, other infections etc.
In short - the dog will be fine if it is in good health, as will any other rabbits and humans. :)

ETA the severity of URTI in rabbits compared to us and dogs is different as rabbits breathe ONLY through their nose, whereas us and dogs use our mouths also, therefore if we get infections (and I have never heard of anyone get an URTI from a rabbit to date!) they will not be such a grave risk for our breathing as they are for rabbits.

Last edited:
Back