• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stupid question (Weeds)

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
If I give the bunns some nettles do I need to do anything to them to remove the sting? Chop them up or anything? Or will just washing them suffice?

Last edited:
Depends on the bun. Some buns know how to eat fresh nettles with no issue, others may sting their mouths and not be terribly impressed and a stung mouth could be sore! I only feed nettles dried and I roll them with a rolling pin before drying to remove the stings. Drying tends to render stings inactive anyway. If feeding fresh nettles I would only be using the 'newest' growth from this year (the tips).
Poppy ate a fresh nettle once - having gone to great lengths stood on tiptoes leaning on the bunny fence to keep the buns off our borders.... she taught herself a nasty lesson and was not impressed as she stung her lips judging by the way she frantically pawed her mouth after stealing a fresh nettle over the fence! Silly bun :lol: I know some buns who will eat them fresh with no probs at all. :wave:

I don't think thats a stupid question - but I have one - when you say nettles to do mean 'stingers' the things that if you get stung you rub a doc leaf on or blackberry leaves...??

.... now I've written it it looks obvious but would like to know also if it is the 'stingers' are they partucularly good for buns as there are loads where i walk my dog :D

Oh right so if I pick some tips and pummel them with a rolling pin or something then they'll be ok? We have an abundance in the garden of the things. When you dry them how do you do it? Airing cupboard or oven?

Julia, yeah they're the same things i think. Dock leaves soothe nettle stings too.

My bunny found some nettles the other day in the garden. He had a mouthful and the look on his face was enough to tell me he was stung! He just licked his lips and wiped his face and was fine after a drink. I'd probably dry them out as I don't think they sting dry.

Also, full of questions today me, goosegrass, we also have loads of this too (our garden isn't overgrown, honest!) can that be fed fresh?

Stingers - nettles! Yes :)

I don't know of any specific medicinal properties, but I know that buns can eat them yes. Thumps or Parsnipbun may have the answer to the 'medicinal' aspect of nettles.

I would always stick with young leaves - the concentration of the active ingredients appears to increase in concentration in most plants as they get older e.g salicin levels in willows.

I find them useful to add to other dried herbs as part of a little winter forage when there is not much else about. So I tend to only pick and dry them late Autumn in time for winter, but as with anything, moderation is key.

Also, full of questions today me, goosegrass, we also have loads of this too (our garden isn't overgrown, honest!) can that be fed fresh?

Goosegrass/cleavers or sticky willy as we used to call it as kids! :lol: Yes this is fine to feed to buns and is listed in my rabbit nutrition book as a safe and good food source. My two love it. :D

As it's drizzly I'm not putting them out on the grass but was thinking of picking them some bits. :lol: I'll just do the goosegrass today and then have a go at drying out nettles some time.

Thanks!

Just a note: I would avoid feeding buns Docks -they are not harmful per se as far as i'm aware... but as someone mentioned docks I thought i'd cover that one. Someone else may correct me here. (not that I was suggesting that anyone fed docks mind - just covering all angles! :D)

Yep I roll them with a rolling pin and lie them flat on a baking tray spread out and then bake in a 50 degree oven for a couple of hours until dry. Then store in a brown paper bag to allow them to breathe and not go mouldy. :wave:

Goosegrass/cleavers or sticky willy as we used to call it as kids! :lol: Yes this is fine to feed to buns and is listed in my rabbit nutrition book as a safe and good food source. My two love it. :D

Ooh I'm learning a lot today - this is the long stuff that if you throw it at someone it sticks to their clothes? Also has the little round sticky balls in winter that stick in my dogs ears?

Soon I will not need Asda for spring greens will take a bag on dog walks :D:wave:

Just a note: I would avoid feeding buns Docks -they are not harmful per se as far as i'm aware... but as someone mentioned docks I thought i'd cover that one. Someone else may correct me here. (not that I was suggesting that anyone fed docks mind - just covering all angles! :D)

Yep I roll them with a rolling pin and lie them flat on a baking tray spread out and then bake in a 50 degree oven for a couple of hours until dry. Then store in a brown paper bag to allow them to breathe and not go mouldy. :wave:

Cool thanks for that I had been wondering :)

Shuette - sorry seem to have hijacked your thread :oops: Tis a very good thread.... am learning loads !! :wave:

Nope! :oops::lol:

Book called rabbit nutrition by vet Virginia Richardson :wave:

Ahhh too quick on the posting without reading properly :oops: will look that book up.... must go clean out buns now so I can get on with my walk and pick some things.... must take garden gloves for stingers!!

Oh I'm learning loads too!

I did wonder about the docks. I wasn't going to pick any just in case. I've just filled half a washing up bowl with lemonbalm (they had some of that yesterday, Mischa loved it, Mini was iffy and the lionheads normally take a few days to realise that it's edible :roll:) dandelions and a few bits of goosegrass for them to try. The lops devoured the goosegrass!! Once again the lions have left it for the moment.

I've bookmarked that book. Looks very interesting, I think I'll get it.

Back