• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual mycobactrial infection of GI tract presenting as dysautonomia.

:wave:It gets even better than this morning. :D:D
I found some green stalky Burgess dandelion & marigold hay. Thumper has actually been eating some hay today by choice. :shock::D:D:D
He's also realised that he has to drink more.:D:D:D
Hay/grass are so much better for his caecal microrganisms.

Domperidone is still 1.4ml (1mg/ml)

I found some green stalky Burgess dandelion & marigold hay. Thumper has actually been eating some hay today by choice. :shock::D:D:D

That really is wonderful news. Let's hope now that he realises he can eat it without it hurting he may even get a taste for it :D

Thumper is eating hay??!!! :shock:

:D:D:D:D That is simply amazing! I am so happy for you both :love: What a clever boy he is. Well done for finding a hay he liked as well, not easy with a fussy bun. xx

:wave:Thank you everyone.:D
You guys have been through such a long rough patch with me, I'd like you to enjoy some of the better times with us too.

What a morning! Woken by scampering, brilliant sunshine streaming through the window & Thumps started playing, "peek a boo" as soon as I opened an eye.:D

He does a massive sideways long jump from behind the dressing table, & plants his front feet widely apart on landing. Then he does a front end binky clapping his ears together, & then does a sideways jump back behind the dressing table. It's so fast, he's just a dark blurr when he moves. I can almost translate it to "Now you see me. Now you don't." :lol::lol::lol:

That's my Thumper!

On the tummy side his caecs are very runny again but not liquid, & he's eating them.
I'll see how he goes today. I'm actually wondering whether I need to reduce the domperidone. He's so much better in himself, drinkingwell & eating well, I think it's more likely that I need to slow down throughput than increase it! I'll see how it goes. "Don't oversteer the ship Judy!"

:wave:Thank you everyone.:D
You guys have been through such a long rough patch with me, I'd like you to enjoy some of the better times with us too.

What a morning! Woken by scampering, brilliant sunshine streaming through the window & Thumps started playing, "peek a boo" as soon as I opened an eye.:D

He does a massive sideways long jump from behind the dressing table, & plants his front feet widely apart on landing. Then he does a front end binky clapping his ears together, & then does a sideways jump back behind the dressing table. It's so fast, he's just a dark blurr when he moves. I can almost translate it to "Now you see me. Now you don't." :lol::lol::lol:

That's my Thumper!

On the tummy side his caecs are very runny again but not liquid, & he's eating them.
I'll see how he goes today. I'm actually wondering whether I need to reduce the domperidone. He's so much better in himself, drinkingwell & eating well, I think it's more likely that I need to slow down throughput than increase it! I'll see how it goes. "Don't oversteer the ship Judy!"

Yes, but also don't rush into changes either I feel, if he is stabilising I would perhaps give it a little longer at the current dose? :? However, you know Thumps better than anyone and have infinitely more knowledge on how the drug works than I do. xx

I won't do anything today PL unless his wastes show repeated no separation by tonight. Then I'd just reduce very slowly. I felt he may have had a short period of cramping last night, but there's no obvious reason in the litter tray.

Next brilliant news.:D He asked to go out, & stayed out near the house for about 10 mins.
He's been too frightened to go out since he's been so poorly, & unable to run to safety. I've tried putting him on the path near the door from time to time, but he's just hopped back in until today.
It's been these subtle changes in behaviour which worried me so much when he was so ill.

Well Thumper's caecs have been fine. His wastes went very small, but there was a reasonable total volume & this afternoon all was back to normal again. I have no idea why he has these self righting replapses. :?

He came zooming downstairs to meet Paul, (bunny daddy & my care co ordinator).
I now have a witness to some superb & very clever bunny manipulation. He's a master of the double bind (heads I win -tails you lose) when he wants to play with a visitor & feels frustrated. So he tugs out tufts fom the carpet. If I ignore him he just carries on, but if I tell him off we get into a battle where he becomes the center of attention.

It's really good for him to have visitors, so I don't like removing him upstairs. Paul was great, & gave him a few strokes, producing 1 happy bunny.

Thumper has picked up some human social behaviour too.
When someone he likes a lot leaves, he comes to the front door with us to "say goodbye". Never a paw outside at the front. Thumper has good manners!. :lol:

Well Thumper's caecs have been fine. His wastes went very small, but there was a reasonable total volume & this afternoon all was back to normal again. I have no idea why he has these self righting replapses. :?

I now have a witness to some superb & very clever bunny manipulation. He's a master of the double bind (heads I win -tails you lose) when he wants to play with a visitor & feels frustrated. So he tugs out tufts fom the carpet. If I ignore him he just carries on, but if I tell him off we get into a battle where he becomes the center of attention.

It's really good for him to have visitors, so I don't like removing him upstairs. Paul was great, & gave him a few strokes, producing 1 happy bunny.

When someone he likes a lot leaves, he comes to the front door with us to "say goodbye". Never a paw outside at the front. Thumper has good manners!. :lol:

Yay! That's absolutely fantastic news! Yay Thumper :D xxx

When someone he likes a lot leaves, he comes to the front door with us to "say goodbye". Never a paw outside at the front.
Thumper has good manners!. :lol:

Awwwww :love::love::love:

Awww I want to come and visit Thumper! :love:

:oops::oops: and you of course!!!! :oops::lol:

You're more than welcome PL. You can play with Thumper & I'll play with Baby. Now we just have to find something Mr. PL will enjoy.:D Of course if he wants to sort out a tool box I'm sure Thumper will lend a paw!:lol:
We just have to time it right cos Thumps isn't up to anything energetic until about 5.00pm.

How about a trip to the fritillary meadow at Cricklade in April?
There's the Bath Asparagus only a couple of miles away at Clouts Wood in June but it can be a bit hot for travelling then.

I've just had a mammoth sleep, waking to find that Thumps had filled his litter tray to overflowing, & eaten all his food in 9 hours. :shock::oops::oops:

This has been a long period of improvement for us. I'm going to hold steady to consolidate it, then try to get him back on grass as soon as it's ready. I also think it's well worth gradually reducing his domperidone, but don't want to give his caecum too much to cope with until we've got the fresh plants in spring. I'm mindful that he's eating far more Sloe leaves than I expected. I'd prefer to see him cutting down on those before I reduce his domperidone.

The hay hasn't been very sucessful. It seems to make his sludge significantly worse. :?:( But at least he eats a little.

We're both incredibly happy over here! :D:D

You're more than welcome PL. You can play with Thumper & I'll play with Baby. Now we just have to find something Mr. PL will enjoy.:D Of course if he wants to sort out a tool box I'm sure Thumper will lend a paw!:lol:
We just have to time it right cos Thumps isn't up to anything energetic until about 5.00pm.

There's the Bath Asparagus only a couple of miles away at Clouts Wood in June but it can be a bit hot for travelling then.

I've just had a mammoth sleep, waking to find that Thumps had filled his litter tray to overflowing, & eaten all his food in 9 hours. :shock::oops::oops:

This has been a long period of improvement for us. I'm going to hold steady to consolidate it, then try to get him back on grass as soon as it's ready. I also think it's well worth gradually reducing his domperidone, but don't want to give his caecum too much to cope with until we've got the fresh plants in spring. I'm mindful that he's eating far more Sloe leaves than I expected. I'd prefer to see him cutting down on those before I reduce his domperidone.

The hay hasn't been very sucessful. It seems to make his sludge significantly worse. :?:( But at least he eats a little.

So am I!! :D Long may his eating/pooping phase continue :D

:thumb: Sounds like a plan to me! :D

I'm as thrilled as Fluffiebunnie that things are going so well with you both, and long may it continue.. Spring is nearly here which is fantastic for wild plants and Thumper. I guess you'll have to steady it with the sugary surge of the first plants/grass? I'm sorry the hay hasn't helped his sludge... do you think perhaps it is too drying or too high in protein? Meadow hay I think does tend to have a higher protein to fibre ratio than timothy and cereal hays.

I'm relieved you've had a long sleep - you have much to catch up on! and it's great that Thumps is so full of beans again... such lovely news. xx

Glad Thumper is doing so well, and you got to catch up on some much needed sleep! :D

He sounds such a lovely boy too :love::love:. You should keep a journal about him, and all his endearing mannerisms.

Well for anyone interested in botanical SSI's or prehistory, there's loads of very good sites within a 20 mile radius of us. Avebury is just 7 miles down the road! I used to adore the open space of the downland, but quite a few other people have taken an interest since it was opened up with cycle tracks!

Thumper really enjoys visitors, as long as it's not too hot or his sleeping time. Just 1 condition, please don't tell the RSPCA that he doesn't have a hutch or a cage. He has ground level of the house & I have the rest! His bit is reasonably tidy & mine's an absolute mess!!:lol::lol:
The other thing is that it's eyes down looking in this house, cos he'll run round your feet to ask to play.

It's that time of the month again! Thumper's going in to be assessed for a dental as he's been drinking very little for the last week - wee very chalky & it's beendifficult to keep him hydrated.
Apart from that he's on fantastic form mentally, even getting podgy! :shock:
He's not eating so many sloe leaves, has been pooping for Britain & continues to be interested in hay.
He's not getting much more stamina yet. I'm a bit concerned he's "a bit too dumpy".
He still needs domperidone 1.4ml x3 daily.

It's that time of the month again! Thumper's going in to be assessed for a dental as he's been drinking very little for the last week - wee very chalky & it's beendifficult to keep him hydrated.
Apart from that he's on fantastic form mentally, even getting podgy! :shock:
He's not eating so many sloe leaves, has been pooping for Britain & continues to be interested in hay.
He's not getting much more stamina yet. I'm a bit concerned he's "a bit too dumpy".
He still needs domperidone 1.4ml x3 daily.

Ooh hope he can wait a little longer for a dental, I am sure every time must be such a worry for you, great to here he is in fine form otherwise. Bet you never thought a few months ago you would be wondering if Thumper was too podgy :lol:

Back