• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual mycobactrial infection of GI tract presenting as dysautonomia.

So sorry to keep you all waiting.
It's incredibly hot here, up to 30 before mid day, but I've managed to get Thumps comfortable.

I wish I could say that there had been a dramatic improvement but I can't.
His appetite was a little improved last night. (His main eating time) & he seems more comfortable.

The very difficult aspect with Thumps is that he knows perfectly well that visits to the vet are to do with not eating & drinking enough. So he makes a superlagomorphine effort to do so, for the 1st. 12 hours when he comes home. We could have really done without hot weather right now, because that reduces his appetite also.

In view of it's mention in the RWA conference & that Thumps may be the only bun on this forum to try it. The little I know is:

The main success has been in horses which have a different, but similar digestive system. (Horses ferment in the colon but bunnies in the caecum)

We do not know how, or precisely where, it acts on the bunny gut.
There have been some recorded cases of good success in bunnies where all else failed. Richard Saunders has not used it personally on rabbits.

There is the potential for some nasty neurological side effects - extrapyramidal symptoms (sorry I can't translate into ordinary English for you, it's a bit like intense cramping of certain muscle groups & not others, until drug levels fall. Humans can't move with it) & abdominal cramps. This risk is low in humans.
A similar reaction can occur with metaclopramide/maxolon.
My own opinion from human drugs is that until it is more widely used we will not know what percentage of bunnies get side effects.

Thumper will need this drug for the rest of his life, rather than a short course of treatment as in most stasis issues. We have also got to ensure that he is able to get rid of it as fast as we put it in ie avoid high levels accumulating in his system.

Oh dear. Little Thumper... I am pleased that the domperidone seems to be having a small effect and that Thumper is still fighting. I will continue to keep checking to see how he and you are coping.

Sending you millions of vibes.

xx

I'm glad Thumper seems to be tolerating the treatment so far. I am hoping now that the air is a little cooler you will start to see some improvements. This weather is hard on our furry friends xx

I'm glad Thumper seems to be tolerating the treatment so far. I am hoping now that the air is a little cooler you will start to see some improvements. This weather is hard on our furry friends xx

Yes that's very much how I see it. It's much cooler downstairs, so I'm off down there with "little un". Goodness knows how he keeps going, but he even managed a hind leg side binky on the lawn tonight. :)

Progress is very difficult to assess, because he fluctuates so much.

He was really active last night, asking to play etc. & his bowel sounds sounded better. But it's so difficult to get him to eat.

He's changed his diet completely. Over the last 24 hours he's eaten about 1 l of jucy lawn grass, 2 handfuls of hawthorn leaves, & perhaps 24 dried ribwort leaves +6 dandelion leaves. 4 years ago before his illness was so severe he would eat 6 l of lawn grass per 24 hours!

ETA He's such a sensible boy, I don't expect him to be active in this heat. He's found the coolest place in the house & is lying up there.

Last edited:
bless him. neither of my buns have been eating so much during the last few days. they get there in the end but its more little bits at a time rather than scoffing.

i think i'll come and lie in the cool spot he's found:(

Judy I'm sorry that I've not been around to keep up with developments, but I've been thinking of you and Thumper and hoping for the best. I hope this new drug treatment will help him and that once the weather cools down again you'll see a marked improvement in his appetite.

Sending loads of vibes and noserubs to beautiful Thumper.

while im not commenting much, I do like to catch up on lil thumper and his ongoing battles, if i was him id be up somewhere cooler too today :D

Hoping for some more benefits from his new drug soon. Fingers and paws crossed here that things carry on in a positive way, even if only slightly. x

Thank you so much for your well wishes.
He was playful again tonight, & had a wonderful times pinging the elastic of his cat toy right across the room.
Unfortunately I wasn't up to it for long - very tired now.
His poops are improved in size, no caecs. I'll ask Marie about whether we should increase the dose.

I'm glad Thumps has had a good evening :) I hope you are looking after yourself too, can't have the little guy wearing you out xx

I'm beginning to be more hopeful now.
He definately feels better in the evenings than for a long time, 7 it's such a joy to see.
He even ate a little during the day on his own today.
Spoke to Marie. We're increasing the dose to 0.09ml 8 hrly.

Back